PDA

View Full Version : How common are dogs?

Mouse74
03-13-2016, 20:13
Pretty much says it all. I ask because I really detest dogs. (not meant to bash yer pooch but I was bit very bad as a child in the face and there is a fear there). Are they all off leashes? I have no issue hitting a dog with a pole that noses me. Are there dogs on the AT and not on the PCT because of the elevation and desert?

Thanks!

rocketsocks
03-13-2016, 20:16
Lots of dogs, you'll never make it without getting in a fist fight or being thrown in jail.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2016, 20:19
Pretty much says it all. I ask because I really detest dogs. (not meant to bash yer pooch but I was bit very bad as a child in the face and there is a fear there). Are they all off leashes? I have no issue hitting a dog with a pole that noses me. Are there dogs on the AT and not on the PCT because of the elevation and desert?

Thanks!

too many in my opinion

Sarcasm the elf
03-13-2016, 20:24
There are lots of dogs and lots are offleash only around half the A.T. even had a leash law. If you mean that you nudge dogs away from you with your poles then that I can understand. But violently hitting a non-aggressive dog with a stick is both illegal and a great way of provoking an owner into a fist fight. Sorry to be blunt about it.

Hoofit
03-13-2016, 20:43
You need help ....and before you go hiking...not trying to insult you ....have you tried puppy therapy?

Wise Old Owl
03-13-2016, 20:53
Wow Hoofit nailed this... Many day hikers are pet friendly and enjoy the company of a pet. Mouse, It is my hope that you find a way to less judgmental and find a way to cope being with other hikers and enjoy the trail. - with pets.

FlyFishNut
03-13-2016, 20:56
You need help ....and before you go hiking...not trying to insult you ....have you tried puppy therapy?

Mouse - seriously. You need to get back on the horse that threw you. Puppy therapy is a great place to start. My bet is that you will get over this fear and realize why dogs are a man's best friend.

saltysack
03-13-2016, 21:58
Get therapy before you hit the trail...forget the dogs watch out for the rabid coyotes with AIDS.....seriously you are far less likely to have a bad dog experience on the AT than during your daily life around town.....don't sweat it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water Rat
03-13-2016, 22:08
You can find dogs on any trail. Given that the AT is the most popular with thru-hikers, section hikers, day hikers... You might be happier hiking on a trail that sees fewer people and dogs. The close proximity to many towns means more people are going to hit the trail with their pooches. Some are on leash and under control. Others are not on leash.

Mouse74
03-13-2016, 22:20
There are lots of dogs and lots are offleash only around half the A.T. even had a leash law. If you mean that you nudge dogs away from you with your poles then that I can understand. But violently hitting a non-aggressive dog with a stick is both illegal and a great way of provoking an owner into a fist fight. Sorry to be blunt about it.

Not sure where you read VIOLENT. I would not savagely beat a dog unless I was being under attack....again.

Mouse74
03-13-2016, 22:21
Get therapy before you hit the trail...forget the dogs watch out for the rabid coyotes with AIDS.....seriously you are far less likely to have a bad dog experience on the AT than during your daily life around town.....don't sweat it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advise!! After all we all just want to have fun.

rafe
03-13-2016, 22:27
Lots of dogs. Some are leashed some aren't. Some are friendly and well mannered, some aren't.

I personally don't care for large, muscular, hyperactive dogs that aren't leashed. And a wet dog in a shelter is never a good time.

Slo-go'en
03-13-2016, 22:34
I believe you ask this in the context of doing a thru hike.

If you start at Springer in the usual March through April time frame, there is a good chance you will run into hikers with dogs.

But don't worry, most of them will be gone within a few hundred miles and the rest spread out enough that you can avoid them. Then it's just random encounters with day and section hiker dogs which will continue for the rest of the hike. Family day hiker dogs are the most unpredictable. Real hiker dogs are too tired to fool around and are dialed into the routine. Day hiker dogs are venting energy and are less likely to be under control. Try to avoid being near popular trail head parking lots on weekends.

Mouse74
03-13-2016, 22:58
I believe you ask this in the context of doing a thru hike.

If you start at Springer in the usual March through April time frame, there is a good chance you will run into hikers with dogs.

But don't worry, most of them will be gone within a few hundred miles and the rest spread out enough that you can avoid them. Then it's just random encounters with day and section hiker dogs which will continue for the rest of the hike. Family day hiker dogs are the most unpredictable. Real hiker dogs are too tired to fool around and are dialed into the routine. Day hiker dogs are venting energy and are less likely to be under control. Try to avoid being near popular trail head parking lots on weekends.

Makes complete sense! Thanks!

Traveler
03-14-2016, 08:50
Not all dogs are off leash, but many are and many of those have clueless owners who are unaware or unconcerned how others feel when they are approached by a strange dog or can be badly startled by a dog sneaking up behind them. Poor form, that.

To lessen your concerns and make dogs a relative non-issue, you need a strategy. My strategy in dealing with dogs is based on observation. On the trail, dogs on a leash or in the "heel" position alongside an owner are probably not likely a problem. If, however the dog is off leash and the owner is no where to be seen or are too far away (the distant shouting that "he's friendly" does little to ensure that) I am concerned. At that point I use my trekking poles by crossing them in front of me so the dog has ample warning proceeding into that X will not end well. If the dog tries to test the X, I tap the poles together to drive the point home that they are solid. This seems to work very well along the trail when approached by dogs off leash. I have to say its not all that frequent this happens, but having a strategy that does not need to differentiate a "friendly" dog from non-friendly and prevents contact without undue violence to the animal is very helpful.

Shelters are a little different, though I don't use them for sleeping much so I avoid some of those issues. Food preparation however is an issue and I am not at all shy in asking someone to leash their pet if it starts interfering with cooking, though its usually not necessary. I think most dog owners understand not everyone has the warm and fuzzies with regard to their pet and some may be terrified of them due to past experience(s). There are the few who are too self absorbed to have much of a clue their dog is causing problems as it knocks over water, wagging tails around food, jumps on people, and other such things. The good news is, there are not many of these folks around.

Good luck, don't let canine issues keep you from enjoying your time.

Puddlefish
03-14-2016, 09:29
Not all dogs are off leash, but many are and many of those have clueless owners who are unaware or unconcerned how others feel when they are approached by a strange dog or can be badly startled by a dog sneaking up behind them. Poor form, that.

To lessen your concerns and make dogs a relative non-issue, you need a strategy. My strategy in dealing with dogs is based on observation. On the trail, dogs on a leash or in the "heel" position alongside an owner are probably not likely a problem. If, however the dog is off leash and the owner is no where to be seen or are too far away (the distant shouting that "he's friendly" does little to ensure that) I am concerned. At that point I use my trekking poles by crossing them in front of me so the dog has ample warning proceeding into that X will not end well. If the dog tries to test the X, I tap the poles together to drive the point home that they are solid. This seems to work very well along the trail when approached by dogs off leash. I have to say its not all that frequent this happens, but having a strategy that does not need to differentiate a "friendly" dog from non-friendly and prevents contact without undue violence to the animal is very helpful.

Shelters are a little different, though I don't use them for sleeping much so I avoid some of those issues. Food preparation however is an issue and I am not at all shy in asking someone to leash their pet if it starts interfering with cooking, though its usually not necessary. I think most dog owners understand not everyone has the warm and fuzzies with regard to their pet and some may be terrified of them due to past experience(s). There are the few who are too self absorbed to have much of a clue their dog is causing problems as it knocks over water, wagging tails around food, jumps on people, and other such things. The good news is, there are not many of these folks around.

Good luck, don't let canine issues keep you from enjoying your time.

Hah, was out yesterday and found a dog planted in my path barking and growling aggressively about 200 feet out ahead of it's owner. Would not let me proceed closer to the owner. All the while the owner is yelling out "He's friendly, he never bites!" This was the first time I ever had a dog actually growl at me on the trail. Was a really big dog as well. Unbelievable how some people can be so willfully blind to their pet's poor behavior and unhappiness.

Miel
03-14-2016, 09:47
I have no issue hitting a dog with a pole that noses me.

Wow.

And I have no issue with hitting a human with a pole, maybe something heavier, should that human hurt my dog.

Thanks for the warning that you'll be on the AT - hopefully not the same time as me.

Dog owners - watch out for this violent OP.

Miel
03-14-2016, 09:50
Not sure where you read VIOLENT. I would not savagely beat a dog unless I was being under attack....again.

Mouse, you said a dog who "noses" you. That sounds like a benign, even friendly behavior on the part of the dog.

Your behavior, not so much.

rafe
03-14-2016, 09:50
And why is it that dog owners almost always assume that their pets will be universally loved and appreciated by others? Gimme a break.

Miel
03-14-2016, 09:53
And a wet dog in a shelter is never a good time.

Neither is a wet, smelly human who hasn't bathed in a week or more.

Yet, I deal with it, as others deal with me.

My issue isn't Mouse's or yours, but another - forcibly marching these dogs on hikes many dogs aren't up to. Animal abuse.

peakbagger
03-14-2016, 10:05
There are quite few dogs in the whites as it is very popular day hike destination and I expect that applies to many popular sections of the AT. Many of the northbound thruhiker dogs (who generally are quite well behaved by the time they get here) are already off the trail and every year a few end up having to go off trail or holed up in town for a few days due the very abrasive rock in the northern presidentials and the Mahoosucs. Folks swear up and down that their dogs pads are toughened up from hiking from GA but many dogs in general and on occasion thru hiker dogs end up wearing their pads off in a couple of days.

I find that hiking with poles really cuts down on dog issues. In general most dogs keep a bit of clearance when someone has poles. I wouldn't arbitrarily strike out at a dog unless the owner has no control and the dog is actively attacking but I have over the years have had to swing at a few that I suspect were not thru hiker dogs.

kibs
03-14-2016, 10:56
Wow.

And I have no issue with hitting a human with a pole, maybe something heavier, should that human hurt my dog.

Thanks for the warning that you'll be on the AT - hopefully not the same time as me.

Dog owners - watch out for this violent OP.

Stay home You are just baiting people into reactive responses!

Miel
03-14-2016, 11:01
Stay home You are just baiting people into reactive responses!

Not baiting at all. Quite serious in my response. I genuinely believe that the OP could be a menace to a defenseless animal. It is the humans we have to worry about.

kibs
03-14-2016, 11:11
Sorry Miel,

the message was meant for the dog hater.

Gambit McCrae
03-14-2016, 11:16
This thread is so ridiculous, shut it down, useless

Sarcasm the elf
03-14-2016, 11:37

Well it was the part where you said "I have no issue hitting a dog with a pole that noses me" :rolleyes: I do appreciate that you responded to clarify.

While we're on the subject, although I am a dog lover, I don't want unfamiliar dogs running up to me (and to my leashed dog) while I'm on trail. The best solution I've found is to simply place my trekkjng pole between myself and a dog as it approaches, just having the pole between us is enough to get the vast majority of dogs to respect my space and since I do it casually, most owners don't even notice what I'm doing.

Mouse74
03-14-2016, 13:00
Good lord it was an honest question and at NO time did I EVER say i would be violent with an animal. I was savagely attacked by a dog as a child and had 5 surgeries to fix my ****ing face. I have a serious fear of dogs and dont want to be on a trail having an epic panic attack. get a ****ing grip. At no time was my question insightful. re read the OP

Mouse74
03-14-2016, 13:02
I honestly think I have more fear from rabid fanatical animal owners than their dogs. Ability to blow things WAY out of proportion is epic.

mattjv89
03-14-2016, 13:28
I did read your OP and it seems your statement of striking a dog that noses you was interpreted as a threat of violence. You just recently joined the forum so you probably haven't seen a dog thread before. Unfortunately this topic more than perhaps any other has an unshakable tendency to devolve into threats of violence between people who have never met and other useless banter. I agree with Gambit, shut 'er down before we're saying the same thing on page 10+.

Rain Man
03-14-2016, 13:34
Good lord it was an honest question and at NO time did I EVER say i would be violent with an animal. I was savagely attacked by a dog as a child and had 5 surgeries to fix my ****ing face.

You have a legit question and asked and explained it in a legit way. It's the aggressively over-reactionary replies that demonstrate where the problem lays. Calling you names ("dog-hater") and telling you that you are a violent problem? Such personal attacks are in violation of the WB user agreement.

The thread shouldn't be closed, but those personal attack posts should be deleted.

Mags
03-14-2016, 13:40
Closing thread at request of OP.