PDA

View Full Version : Tiorati Cir/Harriman SP parking access and shuttle for 4/29/16

linus72
03-14-2016, 12:37
We're doing our next section of the A.T. in NY the weekend of 4/29/16 heading Sobo. We plan to finish at the Arden Rd parking area by Tiorati Circle. Does anyone know when we can access that area either with our own car or a shuttle? Also, anyone recommend a shuttle for Harriman SP so we can stick to bringing one car?

Feral Bill
03-14-2016, 14:16
Continue to Rt 17 and you can catch a bus to the city and beyond. Or you can blue blaze to the train station and go that way. If you are starting near Pawling you can take a train back to your car.

Another Kevin
03-14-2016, 17:12
Continue to Rt 17 and you can catch a bus to the city and beyond. Or you can blue blaze to the train station and go that way. If you are starting near Pawling you can take a train back to your car.

The 'blue blaze' that Bill is talking about is actually a red-circle-on-white blaze for the Ramapo-Dunderberg trail. It shares treadway with the AT from Tiorati to Fingerboard shelter. The A-T turns right and the R-D continues straight. Takes you straight to the Tuxedo train station. It's a longish walk, (I don't have my mileage table handy, but I want to say it's six or seven miles from Tiorati.) There are a couple of shelters on the way (Bald Rocks and Tom Jones, if I recall correctly). Tom Jones (http://www.myharriman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/96676673.pdf) is the oldest shelter in the park, and still has a great feel to it. It and Bald Rocks both have attractive views, and the R-D is a ridge-walk across whalebacks with the occasional sweeping view. Bald Rocks has a water source about 1/4 mile down the yellow-blazed Dunning Trail. The nearest water for Tom Jones is a stream that's by the parking area on Route 106 about a half mile before the shelter. The best water option for Fingerboard is to tank up at the bathhouse at Tiorati. Surebridge Brook is closer, but the water tastes terrible and originates in the tailings pond of an old iron mine, so I can't imagine it's that good for you, either.

From Tuxedo you can take a train into Manhattan, and then hop the subway across town from Penn to Grand Central for the train back to Pawling.

Another possibility for easy train travel would be to take the A-T across 17 to the junction with the blue-blazed Sapphire Trail, turn right and take that trail a couple or three miles along the ridge parallel to 17. It comes out right at the Harriman train station.

Either the Short Line bus or the train is much cheaper than any kind of shuttle option you'll find. If you must have a car shuttle, Village Taxi in Monroe will pick up at any Harriman trailhead within 10 miles of Route 17.

This is all from memory because I don't have my maps and mileage tables handy, so take it with a grain of salt.

Feral Bill
03-14-2016, 20:45
The 'blue blaze' that Bill is talking about is actually a red-circle-on-white blaze for the Ramapo-Dunderberg trail. It shares treadway with the AT from Tiorati to Fingerboard shelter. The A-T turns right and the R-D continues straight. Takes you straight to the Tuxedo train station. It's a longish walk, (I don't have my mileage table handy, but I want to say it's six or seven miles from Tiorati.) There are a couple of shelters on the way (Bald Rocks and Tom Jones, if I recall correctly). Tom Jones (http://www.myharriman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/96676673.pdf) is the oldest shelter in the park, and still has a great feel to it. It and Bald Rocks both have attractive views, and the R-D is a ridge-walk across whalebacks with the occasional sweeping view. Bald Rocks has a water source about 1/4 mile down the yellow-blazed Dunning Trail. The nearest water for Tom Jones is a stream that's by the parking area on Route 106 about a half mile before the shelter. The best water option for Fingerboard is to tank up at the bathhouse at Tiorati. Surebridge Brook is closer, but the water tastes terrible and originates in the tailings pond of an old iron mine, so I can't imagine it's that good for you, either.

From Tuxedo you can take a train into Manhattan, and then hop the subway across town from Penn to Grand Central for the train back to Pawling.

Another possibility for easy train travel would be to take the A-T across 17 to the junction with the blue-blazed Sapphire Trail, turn right and take that trail a couple or three miles along the ridge parallel to 17. It comes out right at the Harriman train station.

Either the Short Line bus or the train is much cheaper than any kind of shuttle option you'll find. If you must have a car shuttle, Village Taxi in Monroe will pick up at any Harriman trailhead within 10 miles of Route 17.

This is all from memory because I don't have my maps and mileage tables handy, so take it with a grain of salt.

And now you have the details.:) It all fits my recollection, though I'm no longer a Harriman regular:(.

cmoulder
03-15-2016, 10:30
We're doing our next section of the A.T. in NY the weekend of 4/29/16 heading Sobo. We plan to finish at the Arden Rd parking area by Tiorati Circle. Does anyone know when we can access that area either with our own car or a shuttle? Also, anyone recommend a shuttle for Harriman SP so we can stick to bringing one car?

What is the starting point of your hike? Garrison? Somewhere in the Hudson Highlands seems likely.

linus72
03-15-2016, 10:54
short overnighter from the lot at seven lakes drive between bear and west mtns. overnighting at brien. looks like the road is open as of april 1, so shouldn't be an issue for parking there if needed, but if anyone knows a good shuttler around harriman, that would be preferred. somewhere i read monroe taxi does it. anyone use them? just talking about a 5-7 mile ride.

linus72
03-15-2016, 10:56
unfortunately with work and parenting at the moment, only able to do 2-3 day sections. we would head sobo and end at tiorati

Another Kevin
03-15-2016, 12:39
The parking lot at 7 Lakes isn't the greatest. I'd trust more the ones at Anthony Wayne or Bear Mountain, especially the last. The Inn and the ranger station are right there, so there's a lot of traffic and people looking out for you. You don't have to climb Bear Mountain, you can walk from the Bear Mountain lot to 7 Lakes on the yellow Suffern-Bear Mountain trail, or from Anthony Wayne to the A-T very near the road crossing by taking the Fawn trail (the blaze is a blue F).

Rather than get a pickup in a remote part of the park, you might want to park at Bear Mountain, get a cab to Tiorati at the start (Academy Taxi in West Point - phone 845-446-TAXI can do this) and walk back to your car. That way, there's no waiting for your lift or worrying about missing it or swearing about dodgy cell phone signals.

LIhikers
03-15-2016, 17:18
It's my understanding that there is now a bus shuttle to various places in Harriman State Park that the local towns operate. I have no details beyond that and suggest you phone the New York/New Jersey Trail Conference for details or search their web site.

Another Kevin
03-15-2016, 19:13
Last year, the bus ran once a day, July 1 to November 1, and made stops at:

Tuxedo;
Sterling Forest’s Wildcat trail;
Lake Welch;
Kanawauke Circle;
Baker Camp;
Sebago Boat Launch;
Reeves Meadow;
Sloatsburg (Characters Restaurant)
Tiorati Beach
Appalachian Trail;
Breakneck Camp (AMC);
Elk Pen.

It ran in the morning only. The idea was that it would take hikers from Tuxedo to the trailheads and they could hike back to their train, bus or car.

They haven't announce whether they're running it this year, as far as I've heard.

Suzy Boudreau Allman
03-17-2016, 11:54
Hi: This is Suzy, from MyHarriman.com. We ran the shuttle bus last year and plan on running it again this year, but we're also helping hikers (section hikers on the AT, especially) for car-type shuttles during the shoulder season and summer. If the OP needs a lift, I can arrange that! Tuxedo is interested in becoming a "trail town" for the AT and so these requests are actually a big help in reaching that goal.

Drop me an email at Suzy(at)MyHarriman.com. Thanks!

linus72
03-21-2016, 12:29
Thanks Suzy! We were offered a ride for the 4/29 hike by a WB member, but will be doing several more hikes through the area this summer to finish the state and will reach out to you for a future ride. What's the cost pp and what's your limit for number of riders in one car/

linus72
03-21-2016, 12:41
ill reach out via email for that info actually :)

we've had no issues with the 7 lakes lot so far.

Another Kevin
03-21-2016, 22:51
Hi: This is Suzy, from MyHarriman.com. We ran the shuttle bus last year and plan on running it again this year, but we're also helping hikers (section hikers on the AT, especially) for car-type shuttles during the shoulder season and summer. If the OP needs a lift, I can arrange that! Tuxedo is interested in becoming a "trail town" for the AT and so these requests are actually a big help in reaching that goal.

Wow, that's a change! I can remember when the snooty folks in Tuxedo would give hikers the hairy eyeball just for being an eyesore on their pretty train platform. Since when did we become socially acceptable?

Feral Bill
03-21-2016, 23:15
Wow, that's a change! I can remember when the snooty folks in Tuxedo would give hikers the hairy eyeball just for being an eyesore on their pretty train platform. Since when did we become socially acceptable? Maybe since the Red Apple Rest went belly up?

LIhikers
03-22-2016, 08:57
Wow, that's a change! I can remember when the snooty folks in Tuxedo would give hikers the hairy eyeball just for being an eyesore on their pretty train platform. Since when did we become socially acceptable?

We're socially acceptable now?
I might have to give up hiking :)

linus72
04-17-2016, 13:51
all jokes aside, Suzy shuttled us for free yesterday which was super appreciated and she was super friendly. I highly recommend reaching out to her if you're in the area. We reached her at Suzy(at)MyHarriman.com

Miel
04-17-2016, 19:03
all jokes aside, Suzy shuttled us for free yesterday which was super appreciated and she was super friendly. I highly recommend reaching out to her if you're in the area. We reached her at Suzy(at)MyHarriman.com

She sounds great!

A big thank you to her.

Suzy Boudreau Allman
04-21-2016, 09:55
Thanks for the post, Linus! The Tuxedo-Sloatsburg-Suffern area has become extremely hiker-friendly, and now we're putting it into action. If people are looking for a lift to or from the trailheads, into town, to the train or bus stations -- anything, really, in the Harriman or Bear Mountain area -- we've set up a Facebook Group page so you can post your request. A lift will never cost more than $3.00 to cover gas, no matter how many people are in your group. All you have to do is join the FB group, post, and someone will respond.

Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/892652544195219/