PDA

View Full Version : Nemo Hornet 1 vs. Big Agnes Fishhook UL1

NJdreamer
03-14-2016, 22:25
i have the Big Agnes Fishhook UL1 tent now. It has no zippers and uses hooks. It closes pretty tight without zippers but has no optional screens to leave open for a breeze without bugs. It weighs 2 pounds 10 ounces. I am considering the Nemo Hornet 1. It has zippers, screens to let a breeze in, and is lighter at 2 pounds. If I did this, I would likely sell my Big Agnes tent.

Does anyone have experience with this tent? I am a section hiker, and although I avoid extreme weather, have camped in rain and cold. I like the idea of a free standing tent vs. learning how to set up a tent with my hiking poles.
Thanks.

NJdreamer
03-15-2016, 07:06
i have the Big Agnes Fishhook UL1 tent now. It has no zippers and uses hooks. It closes pretty tight without zippers but has no optional screens to leave open for a breeze without bugs. It weighs 2 pounds 10 ounces. I am considering the Nemo Hornet 1. It has zippers, screens to let a breeze in, and is lighter at 2 pounds. If I did this, I would likely sell my Big Agnes tent.

Does anyone have experience with this tent? I am a section hiker, and although I avoid extreme weather, have camped in rain and cold. I like the idea of a free standing tent vs. learning how to set up a tent with my hiking poles.
Thanks.

Somehow I forgot my tent has netting so the air does come through. I think I will use it a few more times before deciding to replace it, but would like to drop down to a 2 pound tent, to save the pound in weight.

TUNEDVWGTI
03-17-2016, 11:02
I just sold my Nemo Meta to get the Hornet. To be honest. I don't think I'll ever love ANY tent as much as I loved my MSR Hubba that I thru-hiked with and have probably used close to 300 nights. I know it's not the lightest but it was bomber and the rain fly full covg was stellar. I'm picking up the Hornet soon and I'll post how it compares.... Nemo makes bomber gear and I don't doubt the reliability of the Hornet.

TNhiker
03-17-2016, 11:50
I don't think I'll ever love ANY tent as much as I loved my MSR Hubba that I thru-hiked with and have probably used close to 300 nights

likewise...........i love my hubba hubba.............tons of room and features that worked like a charm for me (side doors, etc)..............and i have around 200 nights on mine as well.........

i hate to have to give up using that to go to a lighter tent, which ive done with a fly creek 2-------but other than the weight of the FL, i really dont like the tent that much.........

MyFeetHurt
03-23-2016, 19:12
I just sold my Nemo Meta to get the Hornet. To be honest. I don't think I'll ever love ANY tent as much as I loved my MSR Hubba that I thru-hiked with and have probably used close to 300 nights. I know it's not the lightest but it was bomber and the rain fly full covg was stellar. I'm picking up the Hornet soon and I'll post how it compares.... Nemo makes bomber gear and I don't doubt the reliability of the Hornet.

Have you looked at the new Hubbas, the 'NX' version? I recently bought one to replace an older Hubba. Like you I thru-hiked with my older Hubba and this new version is basically the same setup. Feels just as roomy inside as the older model (maybe even more so), though they've come down in weight (with the sacrifice of the beefier material - though still seems to be solid stuff; I did get a footprint for some added piece of mind). I also tried replacing my old Hubba with a lighter setup, but just nothing felt like the old tent. Sleeping in the new Hubba gives me that feeling again. Just my 2 cents. I know weight is always a factor these days, but honestly when you find a piece of gear you love sometimes a little trade-off is worth it. In my mind at least.

Sorry for the hijack OP, just wanted to chime in. Good luck with your new tent, whichever one you end up with.

Diamondlil
03-24-2016, 00:42
I have the Hornet 1. I however, happen to be 5' nothing and find it quite roomy for a one person. You can sit up and not feel claustrophobic, it sets up in less than three minutes. I've yet to take it out, but it sets up fairly easy in a big wind.

[emoji851]

NJdreamer
03-28-2016, 21:52
I did buy the Nemo Hornet and used it for an overnight trip this weekend. It set up fast. I am 5' 4" and had lots of room. I had thought it was bigger than my other tent, a Big Agnes Fishhook 1P (has no zippers, 3 1/2 pounds) but it is about the same size or smaller except the Hornet is or seems taller. I like to bring my backpack in the tent, and there was plenty of room at the end of my full size air mattress for it. I prefer using a footprint to keep the tent bottom cleaner, and for now made my own from 2 ml plastic.

DiamondIII, TUNEDVWGTI and other Hornet owners, I have 2 questions. It seemed as though it came with too few stakes. I can add others, but is that your experience? How did you stake yours? I had one in each corner, plus back middle, and it seemed like i ran out and had none for the front vestibule. Also, has anyone bought and used the Hornet footprint? The only reviews I saw indicated it was very thin and another that it was too small. My preference is probably tyvek anyway, but the piece I have is too small.

Diamondlil
04-03-2016, 16:43
You've been short staked. There should be six stakes. I also use TyVec for my footprint, the outfitters I use sells it by the foot.

[emoji851]

NJdreamer
04-07-2016, 20:05
You've been short staked. There should be six stakes. I also use TyVec for my footprint, the outfitters I use sells it by the foot.

[emoji851]

DiamondIII - thanks. I checked and the good news is I have all 6 stakes. Am not sure why I came up short camping but will watch more carefully next time.

Diamondlil
04-19-2016, 05:14
NJdreamer,
I used my tent this weekend on the AT. I was nice and warm. The temps were in the 30's. The tent was easy to set up, and a snap to pack back up. Hope you like yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJdreamer
04-20-2016, 20:58
DiamondIII,
Thanks for the update. Yes, I used it one night with the temperature down to about 25 degrees. It worked well. I did not stake it right, so have to watch more carefully to see how to set the front part up. I take everything but my stakes and food into my tent, so that isn't critical. It was roomy. Several times I caught the tent material in the zipper, so have to be careful with that. It was a light as suggested. If you use a foot print, did you buy the Nemo one? I am thinking of getting the Nemo one, with a coupon, but the only review I can find indicates it might be too small for the tent. Thanks again.