PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Mtns cabins

dmperkins74
03-15-2016, 06:51
Hey gang, looking to hike in the smokies for the first time this summer. 2 questions.

- What sort of temps can I expect around June?
- Do you know if I can camp near the shelters or do I have to stay in the shelter if I make a reservation?

Wading through all of the information on back country camping in the smokies makes me second guess if I want to even go. I appreciate that they need to regulate it, but there sure are a lot of ruuuuules!

Thanks in advance, Dan P.

Gambit McCrae
03-15-2016, 07:15
Dan,
Ready through the rules, register for your spot on the Backcountry permit registration site and don't sweat all the fine print. If you TRY to follow the rules, and act responsible you wont have any issues. No tenting would be allowed for you at the shelters unless you hiked 50 miles on each side of the park, and thru the park itself, and only then if the shelter is full can you tent camp. If you would like to tent camp in the park you can register to use one of the many backcountry campsites available

madgoat
03-15-2016, 08:27
A little primer on sleeping in the backcountry campsites in the smokies:

-you have to have reservations for all backcountry campsites and shelters for the night you are staying there.

-tent or hammock camping is not allowed at shelters unless you have a thru hiker permit ($20). You are considered a thru hiker if you start your trip on the AT 50 trail miles outside of the park and end your trip 50 trail miles past the park.

-cost for non-thru-hiker-permit campsite/shelter reservations is $4 per person per night.

-reservations can be made 1 month ahead of your trip. make reservations on the earliest possible date, especially if you want to stay in shelters.

-when planning your trip, reference this webpage (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm) on the GSMNP website for closed trails, roads, and campsites

-in case you don't already have it, here is a trail map pdf (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP-Map_JUNE14-complete4-2.pdf) for the park

-here is the website to make backcountry reservations (https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm?BCPermitTypeID=1). Hit the link at the bottom of the page.

-lastly, they need to regulate it with lots of "ruuuuules!" because they have a lot of hikers that go through the park. Not all of them are conscientious. Not all of them know what they are doing. Not all of them practice LNT. And plenty of them know the rules but do whatever they want anyway. Be a good citizen and follow the rules so that everyone can have a good time in the backcountry.

TNhiker
03-15-2016, 09:37
tent or hammock camping is not allowed at shelters unless you have a thru hiker permit ($20)

forgot one thing----tent and ha mocking by an AT thru can ONLY be done if the shelter is full....

HooKooDooKu
03-15-2016, 10:10
What sort of temps can I expect around June?
Climate Records (as shown in the Little Brown Book):
Average Hi/Lo in Gatlinburg for June: 86º/58º
Average Hi/Lo at Clingman's Dome for June: 63º/49º

Actual Temperatures will be +/- 15º from these "averages", with extreme weather events resulting in temperatures +/- 25º.