PDA

View Full Version : Where to find lightweight T-shirts

trpost
03-15-2016, 18:16
Hi all,

I just bought some t-shirts online that were advertised as being 3.8 oz, an when I got them they were 5.2 oz. They were cheap, and I can use them anyway, but I was hoping to find something lighter than what I have. I am not willing to pay the $30 for a name brand shirt, so was hoping someone had a good source for lightweight cheap shirt.

Balido
03-15-2016, 18:24
I use Walmart Russell Men's performance Dri Power 360 Tee (currently on sale for $3.50). The tee comes in at a very nice 123 grams and matching Athletic Shorts with mesh pockets weigh 188 grams. Quick drying, comfortable, keep their shape and priced right. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Russell-Men-s-Performance-Dri-Power-360-Tee/46480705

Dogwood
03-15-2016, 19:36
Hi all,

I just bought some t-shirts online that were advertised as being 3.8 oz, an when I got them they were 5.2 oz. They were cheap, and I can use them anyway, but I was hoping to find something lighter than what I have. I am not willing to pay the $30 for a name brand shirt, so was hoping someone had a good source for lightweight cheap shirt.

Oh the 1.4 oz knee issue horror. :p

Your wt discrepancy may been due to a spec size of shirt wt issue. Shoes are another great example where specked wt is usually a size 9 mens.

yo yo yo, Check out the Starter or Champion brand synthetic 100% polyester shirts at WakkyWorld and Tarjay. I found 4 oz Starter tees(XL size) on a Wakkyworld clearance rack for under $10 bought in winter for an AT hike back in the day before I hit the lottery to buy merino wool. I remember paying $4 each for two of them and weighing them on my scale in the store. One was lemon lime. One was Caribbean turquoise. One was Hunter orange.

Miel
03-20-2016, 09:27
Do you have a Rite-Aid near you? They often have $5 t-shirts, light as tissue paper (or almost). They are typically displayed on the endcaps near seasonal goods. Not a great variety of colors - navy; white; black; hot pink.

Bronk
03-20-2016, 10:27
I always look at Walmart during the change of seasons to buy hiking clothes...summer clothes in the fall and winter clothes in the spring...you can pick up shirts, shorts and jogging pants on clearance for 3 to 5 dollars. At that price if you trash them in one season you can throw them away and forget about it, though usually they last a bit longer than that.

capehiker
03-20-2016, 11:05
Keep in mind, weights listed for a garment are always men's medium unless specifically noted. If you are an XL such as myself, I always add an extra 2oz at minimum.

MuddyWaters
03-20-2016, 12:14
Cheap shirts often have poor cuts and design. Im not one to pay extra, but my $$ shirts fit and look better than the cheapies. @

Puddlefish
03-20-2016, 12:29
Cheap shirts often have poor cuts and design. Im not one to pay extra, but my $$ shirts fit and look better than the cheapies. @

I've entirely given up buying shirts online. Even after reading reviews that discuss fit specifically, I swear that half of the retailers send whatever is in stock at the moment. Price also isn't any kind of indicator. I've bought a $65 Woolrich shirt that was so short it didn't even tuck into my pants. Bought a brand name baselayer shirt with a tiny neck. Cheap cotton shirts that were obviously high poly blends with tiny armholes.

Walmart is hit or miss. I've found great lightweight synthetic shirts that fit perfectly, and have lasted for years. I've also left empty handed because they're selling something that will fit on some other body type. So yeah, if I find something I like, I'll pay more just because it fits, and there's no guarantee I'll find something suitable for less.

Roll Tide
03-20-2016, 12:34
Go to Thrift Stores - plenty of name brands, colors and best of all low prices.

RockDoc
03-20-2016, 13:06
Do some running events and soon you'll have synthetic tees for every day of the week...

Mouser999
03-20-2016, 13:14
Old Navy has lightweight t's

Dogwood
03-20-2016, 16:18
Check out Goodwill. It's surprising the finds on apparel I've found there. Don't assume you need a tee from Patagonia, Mountain Hardware etc either.

daddytwosticks
03-20-2016, 16:56
I always look at Walmart during the change of seasons to buy hiking clothes...summer clothes in the fall and winter clothes in the spring...you can pick up shirts, shorts and jogging pants on clearance for 3 to 5 dollars. At that price if you trash them in one season you can throw them away and forget about it, though usually they last a bit longer than that.

Same here. When you hang around the campfire in the evenings, your clothes WILL get burn holes from stray embers. Walmart 100 wt fleece pullovers are great too. Very cheap (on clearance) and light weight too. :)

gbolt
03-20-2016, 17:00
Targets Champion G line is a great synthetic line. A little more expensive but under $10 if you wait for sale. These tend to be a little more durable and last many washings. I agree with the Old Navy brand as well. 55º and above is Short Sleeve T-Shirt weather so it will see a lot of use.

Vegan Packer
03-21-2016, 04:17
Rohan Ultra Silver Tee in size L weighs 2.8 ounces on my digital scale, real world numbers. Not cheap, but they are light and synthetic, breath well, and work well for smell prevention.

The Old Chief
03-21-2016, 17:00
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Starter-Men-s-Polyester-Short-Sleeve-Tee/44659769

My XL Walmart polyester Starter t-shirt weighs 5.5 oz and is currently $5.22. My XL Patagonia polyester t-shirt weighs 5.25 oz and I'm afraid to look up the price but I guarantee it's North of $30.00. I like the fact that you can get the Walmart t-shirt in blaze orange. They both appear to have similar picks and runs in them.

GreenBlaze
03-22-2016, 11:16
The lightest t-shirt I own is a Mountain Hardwear Wicked Lite short sleeve (SS) @ $27. It's about 4.8oz. Next up is a Columbia SS at 5.2oz @ $12. It's surprising sometimes how much fabric can weigh. My Leatherman weighs about 6.7oz, and holding that and a shirt you'd never guess they were the same weight. I like to hike in tank tops, and you can easily find those less than 3oz.

saltysack
03-22-2016, 11:29
I get a good laugh when a fat guy is sweating a few oz in their clothing selection......cutting out the xtra cheeseburger and beer the night before would make more of difference....[emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CamelMan
03-22-2016, 12:32
I use Walmart Russell Men's performance Dri Power 360 Tee (currently on sale for $3.50).

Thanks, I use these too. edit: I cut the "brief liner" out of my shorts though.

Puddlefish
03-22-2016, 12:46
I get a good laugh when a fat guy is sweating a few oz in their clothing selection......cutting out the xtra cheeseburger and beer the night before would make more of difference....[emoji482]

Just for that comment, I'm cutting my trail shirt into a belly shirt, and it's not going to be pretty!

saltysack
03-22-2016, 12:48
Haaa...that'll cut few more oz...stick to night hiking pls...

GreenBlaze
03-22-2016, 12:51
Just for that comment, I'm cutting my trail shirt into a belly shirt, and it's not going to be pretty!

I've debated going retro.

saltysack
03-22-2016, 12:53
Looks like the saying don't drop the soap now applies to the trail![emoji8]

rocketsocks
03-22-2016, 15:08
I've debated going retro.

34266...and change your trail name to Joan Jet, I double dog dare ya! :D

Puddlefish
03-22-2016, 15:54
...and change your trail name to Joan Jet, I double dog dare ya! :D

I was thinking trail name Right said Fred, or maybe just Too Sexy.