Here are some reviews, including a couple from WB members:

https://ulgearblog.com/2014/05/28/six-moon-designs-fusion-50/

http://rawahranger.com/ultralight-backpacking-resource-page/

http://www.pmags.com/quick-look-six-moon-designs-fusion-50

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/89497/

http://hikelighter.com/2014/12/24/gear-of-2014/

John M
03-16-2016, 09:52
I think most of those links are to reviews of the old model. As far as I know this is the only review of the 2015 model. Its the 65L but should give you some feedback on it. Doesn't seem to be much interest in them, I'm assuming the weight turned a lot of people off. http://hikelighter.com/2015/09/11/six-moon-designs-2015-fusion-65-available-for-pre-order/

DuneElliot
03-16-2016, 10:04
I think most of those links are to reviews of the old model. As far as I know this is the only review of the 2015 model. Its the 65L but should give you some feedback on it. Doesn't seem to be much interest in them, I'm assuming the weight turned a lot of people off. http://hikelighter.com/2015/09/11/six-moon-designs-2015-fusion-65-available-for-pre-order/

For the on-sale price, plus the weight of the older version, that's what I'd be going with. I almost ordered one but I didn't really need it. My friend ordered one though...and if he doesn't like it, I'll buy it from him for half price...lol

John M
03-16-2016, 14:54
For the on-sale price, plus the weight of the older version, that's what I'd be going with. I almost ordered one but I didn't really need it. My friend ordered one though...and if he doesn't like it, I'll buy it from him for half price...lol

Agreed. I came really close to buying the old version of the 65L.

blue indian
03-16-2016, 17:56
The new version has some updates that make this pack more attractive. I guess it came out recently because there isnt much info about it. So if anyone has experience or knows someone that does it would be aweome!

I

blue indian
03-16-2016, 17:57
I havent seen one on the trail or heard anyone talk about them. But I have heard the suspension is unparalleled

capehiker
03-16-2016, 23:26
I believe I have the only video review of the 2015 50L version:

http://youtu.be/C6eUQCFvfSA

left52side
03-18-2016, 18:40
I was looking at last years model as well,the black and green one that is on sale,im not sure if specs are the same on this one but the older model is only 40 liters internal and 50 liters total volume.
I was still looking at this and if my mountaintop didnt hold up the way I wanted was in the market for a pack that was two pounds or under.

John M
03-28-2016, 10:51
The old models were pretty undersized. Read somewhere that the new Fusion 50 is basically the same size as the old 65.

Cheyou
03-28-2016, 11:23
http://hikelighter.com/2015/09/11/six-moon-designs-2015-fusion-65-available-for-pre-order/

Linder Lou Walks
03-28-2016, 12:17
Thanks for your review capehiker. I'm still in the gear gathering phase and had been looking at the ULA Circuit because of the positive feedback I had read on these forums. I hadn't really considered the SMD Fusion 50 but your review of the suspension system has put this at the top of the list! That might be the better advantage for me despite it being a heavier pack than the Circuit.

left52side
04-01-2016, 18:25
I just ordered the 2014 model that is on clearance from SMD so ill do A review after I field test it next week on an overnighter.
I measured both the SMD fusion pack and my mountaintop 50 l pack and both of them are the same measurements.
I only ordered this pack for the roll top closure and the larger mesh side pockets ...
I like my mountaintop but this is around 4 ounces lighter and seems more geared for me.
Ill pack it up with thru hike gear and let everyone know a review sometime next week.

blue indian
04-01-2016, 18:33
Interested to see what you say about the suspension. Apparently its great.

I would still like to see more about the new fusion but I guess not many are on the trail yet. But the reviews Ive read and watched all seem positive.

left52side
04-01-2016, 18:57
Interested to see what you say about the suspension. Apparently its great.

I would still like to see more about the new fusion but I guess not many are on the trail yet. But the reviews Ive read and watched all seem positive.
That is another reason I ordered it is because I heard its one of the best.
Also dont know if the new fusions will catch on because of there weight factor...

lckeeper1
04-03-2016, 20:53
I picked up an older model SMG fusion 65 (wild flower colors) on sale. I've had it out a couple times so far and I really think it carries very well. I had a ULA Ohm, GG Gorilla, and GG Mariposa prior to this one. True, the fusion is a bit heavier, though I was willing to compromise for more comfortable load hauling. My base weight is about 14 pounds and the pack performs wonderfully, even better when I think about the price I picked it up for. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you picked one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

left52side
04-04-2016, 21:17
Ok so I got my last years model of the fusion 50 in the mail today(the one on sale).
I opened the package and must say this looks like A really nice pack thus far.
I will be taking it on an overnighter in the next day so I can review it and let everyone know how it rides.
As far as room in this pack it acctually looks like it has more room than my current pack I was using(mountaintop 50l).
To my surprise because of the reviews I have read and what alot of people have said I do not see an issue myself with the size of it and think it will be fine for my 3 season thru hike pack.
I bought this pack because of the price and to save a few ounces of weight as well as the designs of the pack seemed to fit me better than the mountaintop,which is a nice pack itself but not going to be ideal for my thru hike.
Will post pictures and a video packed and on the trail in the next few days or so after my overnighter Wednesday.

egilbe
04-04-2016, 21:30

Side pockets are a little small. That's a one liter Hunersdorf in an insulted bottle boot. I keep it attached using a Carabiner. Pack rides prett well.

left52side
04-07-2016, 17:41
Ok just got back from an over night 20 miler with this pack.
It rides like A dream to me is all I can say,personally I love this pack and can tell A huge difference from my current pack(mountaintop 50l). which I like as well but this takes the cake for sure.
I packed this pack A little heavier than normal just to see how it would ride and packed at 29lbs it handled very well.
My pack will rarely be over 25lbs now that I have managed to get my weight down to A comfortable number ,and other than yes the side pockets being A tad small for some(which I had no problems with my smart water bottles and alcohol fuel bottles coming out) This pack is a real treat.
I have read other reviews about it being undersized ,I packed this pack for A three season thru hike style that I would take on the AT and it held everything very well without using the extension collar,so im not sure what others were talking about as far as room I think there is plenty.

Namtrag
04-26-2016, 17:24
I got the old 65 liter one last summer, and it's the most comfortable pack I have owned in my limited experience. I am considering picking up the old 50 liter one he still apparently has in stock, as I don't need all the room on some of my trips. I just wish the weight difference between the two were more than a mere 3 oz! 34622 Here is a pic of me last fall, and it was so comfortable, I didn't even notice that I probably should have pulled the load lifters some more.lol

left52side
04-27-2016, 18:14
I love my fusion 50 and am buying another one just to put up for upcoming thru hikes in the future.
For the price it is really an unbeatable pack inho.

JC13
04-28-2016, 08:19
Just wanted to say thanks for the commentary on the post, between it and the reviews, I snagged one last night.

left52side
05-06-2016, 19:59
Just wanted to say thanks for the commentary on the post, between it and the reviews, I snagged one last night.
Hey did you get your pack yet and was curious what you thought.

JC13
05-06-2016, 20:36
Hey did you get your pack yet and was curious what you thought.I did receive it, it looks well made and once I got the straps dialed in, it seems to fit nicely. I haven't gotten it out on the trail yet though, we are busy every weekend until the end of the month. Still need to pickup a couple more items for the trip and then I can start seeing how well it packs.

oreocereus
01-03-2017, 18:45
To anyone who has one - could you tell me a bit about the volume? Maybe sharing your packlists would be helpful - I'm having issues visualising if I'd be able to fit my gear.

My pack is the last thing i'm upgrading (from a hugely overweight 65L pack). I think I should be able to fit my stuff, but I'm a litttle unsure, as I want to be able to use this for a long overseas trip, where I'll be hiking + travelling (and hence packing more than an average 3 season hike). This is my https://lighterpack.com/r/emvths

egilbe
01-03-2017, 19:00
Its a 40 liter pack. I use it for a winter day pack because it will hold a tent, sleeping bag, air mattress and a couple days of food as well as extra set of warm clothes. Your gear will need to be light weight and pack small. I've seen a few through-hikers use them, but as long as your gear isn't too bulky, it should work.

oreocereus
01-03-2017, 19:12
Hmmyeah, issue is that I have a couple of light pieces that don't pack super small (e.g. my jacket is synthetic, I want to carry a camera) + will have some non-hiking extras with me (and sometimes be carrying excess clothing/gear for conditions, as I have to take everything with me). I'm wary it's probably touch and go on the small side, but I can't find anything else as good in my price range:/

JC13
01-03-2017, 19:31
https://lighterpack.com/r/d5qioo

That was what I carried in it for our first AT section... embarrassing to say the least.

This is how it will be setup this summer.

https://lighterpack.com/r/a095rr

PAHiker
01-03-2017, 19:31
Definitely a small volume pack. However, mine has become my go to year round pack. I can fit my Tarptent Moment, Thermarest NeoAir mattress, 20* Down bag, Rain coat and pants, softball sized toiletry and ditty bag, MSR Titan kettle, spare clothing (2 softballs size), crocs, and food bag for several days in the main compartment. At this point the roll top stills rolls down almost to the shoulder straps. One side pocket holds my TP kit the other holds a couple small bottles of alcohol fuel. The big outside pocket holds my down jacket in the winter and bandanas or flat bottles of booze other times. The waist pockets are the most useful I have had on a pack. One holds maps and small camera and the other holds 3 or 4 snack bars for the day. 20 oz. water bottles are held on the straps with loops of shock cord. If I am hanging instead of tenting I can fit my hammock, tarp, top and bottom 20* quilts in place of the tent-mattress-sleeping bag. The only time I felt limited was when I tried to pack food for a 5 day trip. I think I could have done it since I would be eating 20% of the initial food volume every day but I just bought one of the 65 liter versions (2014 model on sale)and used it instead.

johnspenn
01-04-2017, 14:48
The clearance Fusion 50L is a great pack for the price. The suspension really shines when you load it up. I took mine out with my wife for three days on the AT (Three Forks to Neel Gap) and carrying my gear and some of hers to save her knees, I loaded out at about 35lbs total, and it carried really well and I never had any comfort issues.

My only complaint is that the side and back pockets could be a little more spacious, and I understand they addressed that with the newer model. But for a Benjamin you really can't go wrong with the prior year's model.

ScareBear
01-04-2017, 16:55
Sweet price on that pack...TrailPartner(tm) is making noises...thanks for that...

Cheyou
01-04-2017, 17:18
My kid has one. It's a little short for my 22" length. Nice quality and build . Heavy loads carry very well .

Thom

oreocereus
01-06-2017, 19:04
Great, thanks for that feedback guys! Definitely clarified some things

cgraf
02-12-2017, 10:34
I've been using the Fusion 50 since shortly after its initial release. It takes a bit of tweaking/tuning/adjusting but, once it's dialed in it is incredibly comfortable transferring almost all the weight to the hips....the hipbelt is much stiffer/firmer than most packs in this weight category which complements the frame very well. Yes, as others have mentioned the pockets could be more spacious but I've yet to have anything fall out. Personally I prefer the first edition (especially at the closeout price) as the current edition gained considerable weight.

CO_west
02-15-2017, 00:34
I would be interested in hearing more about the durability of these packs. I haven't even handled a SMD or ULA pack so I'm not really sure what to expect. How would the durability compare to the Granite Gear Blaze packs? For that matter, how would the suspensions compare (if anyone here has experience with both)?

johnspenn
02-15-2017, 13:06
I'm not familiar at all with GG packs.

I have both a SMD Fusion 50 and a ULA CDT. Both are solidly constructed and there's no reason they shouldn't last a long time with reasonable care and handling. I'm not a guy that babies my gear, typically, and I have no qualms with either pack.

The suspension on the SMD Fusion 50 is far superior. I can load the SMD up with 35-40 lbs and it carries well over 12-15 miles per day of backpacking.

The ULA CDT has no suspension other than a piece of foam pad in the back. They recommend not carrying more than 18 lbs in it, not because of structure, simply because of lack of frame. I have loaded it with 25-30 for a 7-8 mile trip and over 20 for a 14 mile trip with no ill effects, but it definitely doesn't carry weight as well as my SMD.

All that said I need a larger pack for backpacking trips and am pretty sure I will be going with the ULA Circuit.

HTH

Secondmouse
02-15-2017, 13:28
To anyone who has one - could you tell me a bit about the volume? Maybe sharing your packlists would be helpful - I'm having issues visualising if I'd be able to fit my gear.

My pack is the last thing i'm upgrading (from a hugely overweight 65L pack). I think I should be able to fit my stuff, but I'm a litttle unsure, as I want to be able to use this for a long overseas trip, where I'll be hiking + travelling (and hence packing more than an average 3 season hike). This is my https://lighterpack.com/r/emvths

I got the old version of the 65L. the side and back pocket capacities are a little overblown and the main compartment is probably without the top rolled down. anyway, it carries more like a 50-55L. but that's not a bad thing.

the new version of this is probably a more accurate volume but it's also heavier. enough that I think there's better options for the money...

theeulogy
03-04-2017, 18:12
I used a SMD Fusion 65 on my section from Daleville to Harpers Ferry last summer, it was on clearance when i bought it (Christmas 2015 $100). I loved it on the hike, on my scale in is an ounce or 2 shy of 3lbs. It transfers load really well to the hips through its actual internal frame.

theeulogy
03-04-2017, 18:17
38481 I changed the color of mine also.

PAHiker
05-07-2017, 12:30
Definitely a small volume pack. However, mine has become my go to year round pack. I can fit my Tarptent Moment, Thermarest NeoAir mattress, 20* Down bag, Rain coat and pants, softball sized toiletry and ditty bag, MSR Titan kettle, spare clothing (2 softballs size), crocs, and food bag for several days in the main compartment. At this point the roll top stills rolls down almost to the shoulder straps. One side pocket holds my TP kit the other holds a couple small bottles of alcohol fuel. The big outside pocket holds my down jacket in the winter and bandanas or flat bottles of booze other times. The waist pockets are the most useful I have had on a pack. One holds maps and small camera and the other holds 3 or 4 snack bars for the day. 20 oz. water bottles are held on the straps with loops of shock cord. If I am hanging instead of tenting I can fit my hammock, tarp, top and bottom 20* quilts in place of the tent-mattress-sleeping bag. The only time I felt limited was when I tried to pack food for a 5 day trip. I think I could have done it since I would be eating 20% of the initial food volume every day but I just bought one of the 65 liter versions (2014 model on sale)and used it instead.

An update to the Fusion 50 experience: I took this pack out this year for a four day - three night backpack trip and was able to get everything in the Fusion 50 this time around. You have to carefully consider the weather conditions and your needs vs. wants but it can be done. I carried a hammock, tarp, summer weight down sleeping bag, thermarest self inflating pad, 2 lb. Moon Lentz camp chair, Frogg Toggs rain suit, clothes bag, food bag for 4 days, Caldera Cone stove (which does not fit in my pot so adds an extra item to fit in the pack), cookpot, and the other usual items and it all fit in the pack with the chair riding in the external sleeping pad straps at the bottom.