PDA

View Full Version : What is in your kitchen?

SGT Rock
01-27-2003, 11:46
What is in your kitchen? Not your stove, fuel bottle ans such, but your eating utensils. Do you pack like a field chef or a hobo?

BTW, you can make multiple selections in this poll.

Redbeard
01-27-2003, 12:03
I carry one titanium pot w/lid and a pair of chopsticks. The chopsticks provide every function I need, you just need to learn how to use them. Many hours spent watching Kurasawa films has taught me all I need.

Sparky!
01-27-2003, 12:30
I am like a hobo... One pot, ( cascade designs non stick) and a "Spork". Not fancy but functional and never ran into a time where I needed more.

Sparky!

SGT Rock
01-27-2003, 12:39
I have a spoon, a pot with foil lid, and a cup. My cup is an empty Country Time lemonade container that also serves as tupperware, a bowl, measuring cup, and a drinking cup.

So really three items, many uses.

Sparky!
01-27-2003, 12:44
:-? Hmmm I use my nalgene bottle as my drinking cup. I just bought a scale and was surprised to find that the bottle weighs 5.7 ounces! I am going to switch to a sports drink bottle if I can find one to fit in my bottle holder... any suggestions Sarge?
:confused:

Sparky!

SGT Rock
01-27-2003, 13:45
For water I carry a 1.5 ounce 100ounce capacity Platapus that has been modified, and an old 1L soda bottle weighing 1 ounce.

My cup however is this: http://hikinghq.net/gear/lemonade_bowl.html

I love it and highly reccomend it. The thing weighs about 1.5 ounces without the cozy, 2.3 with the cozy.

Lugnut
01-27-2003, 14:01
The small titanium pot w/lid and a tablespoon.

RagingHampster
01-27-2003, 15:19
- 1L MSR Titanium Pot & Matching Titanium Lid/Frypan/Plate.
- MSR Aluminum PotGripper w/Rubber Coated Handles.
- MSR Titanium Fork & Spoon Set.
- Mesh Bag/Scrub Cloth

I have the MSR Titan Cookset, but I leave the 0.7L pot home.

I tried out Rock's lemonade cozy, and found it a pain in the ass to get grease off of (plastic). It's now in the gear graveyard.

I may get an MSR Titanium Mug, or a Snow Peak Titanium Mug. I've considered using the 0.7L pot, but I want something with a handle thats a bit smaller. Metal is easier to clean, you can set it on the flame, and its sturdier than plastic.

Streamweaver
01-27-2003, 16:46
I generally use a 1 litre stainless pot with lid,a stainless spoon(prolly get lexan soon) a 8 oz plastic cup that has lines on inside to use as measuring cup and one of those little military type canopeners P something or other. I do sometimes use a lemenade bowl/cup with cozy which I like alot I just dont always have the room in my pack. Streamweaver

P.S. a lighter and cheaper alternative to a nalgene is a clear 1L bottle I got from Walmart .It has a straw in it that can be removed
and it has a wide enuff mouth to pour hot water into or mix powdered drinks etc. it weighs 3 oz and has a flip up spout on it.It doesnt get that weird smell/taste that some plastics get either.

Kerosene
01-27-2003, 19:00
Small titanium non-stick pot, Lexan spork, and two plastic cups for measuring and drinking cocoa, etc.

Sparky: I replaced my Nalgene bottles with the collapsible Nalgene bottles that weigh 3-4 ounces less and still fit in the sleeves of my pack (although I wrap the lid around a pack strap to keep the bottle stable when it is less than full).

Sparky!
01-27-2003, 20:03
Hmm I will have to check them out "K", How did it handle hot liquids... I love a morning cup of coffee to get my butt on the trail and going.

Sparky!

Blue Jay
01-27-2003, 20:31
I know many of you will not care, but whenever you see a monkey or cat or dog strapped down with electrodes in his or her head or other torture equipment. That is Nalgene. Almost all vivisection equipment comes from Nalgene. I use lemon juice bottles, they are made of the exact same plastic (I'm a chemist). I'm not advocating any thing I just thought some of you would like to know. I find it ironic how often you see what Lone Wolf calls treehuggers, carrying Nalgene.

Redbeard
01-27-2003, 22:39
BlueJay,
Soooo, Nalgene creates lab equipment? Or stuff specifically designed for live animal tests. I will quit using Nalgene if this is the case. The bottles are great. I met a guy who claimed he filled his with water then propped the corner of his chevette up on it. But it's not like I'm going to need an impromtue jack stand.

RagingHampster
01-28-2003, 12:47
Nalgene is a lab equipment company (I'm a former lab-tech, and current water treatment operator). People started using the screw top sample bottles for water bottles, and thus Nalgene filled the market with the Nalgene water bottle we have today.

As far as animal testing goes, get over it. Its how we make sure things are safe for people, and further medical knowledge. Someone else here posted that the majority of people who whine are usually those who least understand their impact on their surroundings. Just like people who protest a war for oil. Your all a bunch of hypocrites. There are regulations on performing things such as vivisections anyways. On a similar case, cows are often placed under high stress before they are slaughtered (ie, severely inuring it). This causes the animals muscles to self-tenderize in lactic acid which makes for wonderfully textured beef. Oh, and ever been to a chicken coop?

Redbeard
01-28-2003, 13:07
First of all, come over here and call me a hypocrite!
Second of all I'm a hardcore vegetarian and perfectly aware of my impact on the world around me. I'm doing more to lessen that impact through my daily actions. There are a few major things I will turn my eye from as far a animal testing goes, namely in the fight against disease, but we can be sure that not all animal testing is for such important reasons. Yes, I have seen high density feed lot's for pigs/cows/chickens. This is why family farming and organic meat production is important. No we should not "Get over" anything or we will all be eating Soylent Green in a Brave New World in 1984.

SGT Rock
01-28-2003, 13:14
Hey, I like Soylent green. With a side order of soma please.

RagingHampster
01-28-2003, 13:53
Lol, I don't see you complaining about the fruitful american life "Big Brother" has provided you. We live on land gained through the genocide of "Native Americans", thriving on our lifeline of oil and greed driven capitalism built upon the backs of slaves, and maintained through virtual indentured servitude. Sometimes we need to walk a little louder and swing that big stick to preserve this way of life. If you choose not to drink from a nalgene bottle because it's manufacturer makes lab equipment for animal vivisections, go nuts. But if you think your morally sound because you use a plastic walmart bottle made from oil (one of the main components in plastics) by children working in a US territory sweatshop, your just another typical "Treehugger". And that accusation is not ignorant, or without foundation.

Check out the film Baraka. A beautiful film. Inside scoop on chicken farms too.

slabfoot
01-28-2003, 14:08
:p

Weeknd
01-28-2003, 14:55
Ok, maybe we can get back on topic...kitchen stuff.

What I carry: SS spoon & fork. Al frying pan (plate, cooking, food prep), 2 1 liter drink bottles (heavier/sturdier than soda bottles) and a full size Swiss Army Knife(not the Mega one). My hiking partner carries a pot and stove (and his personal stuff). We have a OPM requirement.

I am not planning to go ultralight. But I would like to change some stuff. I like Rock's lemonade jar, but had the problem with the greasiness. I am thinking I will switch to Lexan spoon and fork.

Any suggestions?:-?

Redbeard
01-28-2003, 22:50
A: I complain often and loudly about the life Big Brother has created
B: I do not shop at that union hating lump called Wal-Mart, or Nike , or the Gap.
Sweat shops and child labor are a problem in US territories, especially Pacific Islands where US companies send Asian folks after they sign a waver stating that they are not us citizens and wave all of their basic human rights. For info go to Worldlink.org.
Thank you for alowing this soap box moment.

DRRouner
01-28-2003, 23:12
Drop the spoon and fork and get a couple of "sporks" (spoon and fork combo). For water I use a platypus water bottle, 2.4 liter wt 1 oz. I also use empty gatorade bottles. I use a esbit stove that weighs about 8 ounces with a weeks worth of fuel. I would also think twice about bringing a frying pan.

SGT Rock
01-28-2003, 23:14
I find a spork is equally useless as either a spoon or a fork.

MedicineMan
02-01-2003, 07:57
My kitchen:
snow peak solo set (cup and pot)
spork
alcohol stove - Brasslite
fuel bottle
pot lifter
bic lighter
letherman micra
mesh bag for all

Dirtyoldman
02-01-2003, 11:23
on topic: 1.5 liter pot , cup , spoon and fork.

I was running a platypus but am considering a nalgene in which case I will dump the cup.

I didnt care for the spork either, between spearing myself while trying to eat what little soup it held and its inability to spear the stuff i wanted speared, I found the psychiatric bills were a lot lighter when I just took both.

I considered a smaller pot but I tend to add stuff like packets of tuna and so on to my meals and need the extra volume to handle stirring and so forth. (glad you can live off only one box of mac n cheese :)

off topic:

walmart- I dont see that their employees have any reason to gripe. If an employer does not provide a working wage/benifit package then go elsewhere asap! only fools work for less money then it takes to support themselves. Some people will whine that its the only job in town... bullfeathers, If your arent qualified for a better job go back to school and if there isnt other work then MOVE!

vivisection of monkeys: personally i think monkeys are delicious.

While we must be good custodians of our planets resources It is stupid to humanise animals and place their well being over that of humans. I have been in stockyards and on farms, most operators raise their animals as humanely as possible and handle their killing as quickly and painlessly as they can. If at any time you feel uncomfortable about your place in the food chain please feel free to report to the arctic circle and provide one of the polar bears a decent meal. :D

incidently If your really concerned about the enviroment and truly want to make a real differance sell that nasty smog polluting car you drove to the trailhead in and ride a bicycle instead.

MedicineMan
02-02-2003, 06:25
must be a coordination thing, i have never sporked my tongue or lip!

Blue Jay
02-03-2003, 09:12
I had no idea people were soo emptionally attached to Nalgene. I only brought up the vivisection equipment issue, to inform the few people who want to avoid contributing to this type of activity. It is clear many of you support the torture of animals for what you consider very valid reasons. There are also others (who do not eat meat or own cars) who do not, for equally valid reasons. I tried to avoid making any judgement on the two positions. If I did favor one position over the other, I apologize.

Dirtyoldman
02-03-2003, 10:22
I have had some drinking problems to....

actually my "nalgene" is a cheap knockoff...

Redbeard
02-05-2003, 23:32
It's funny how uptight some people get when they find out someone else gives a damn. Do you people feel guilty? It's hard enough to be an informed consumer without others jumping all over you. Try to give logical debates rather than steriotypes and insults. I keep imagining thirteen year old redneck's on the other end of the phone line.(oop's did I say that?)
DOM good point on Wal-Mart, But at the same time it seems wrong that the nations biggest employer is 75% part time no benefits. It is up to the worker in the end.

Redbeard
02-05-2003, 23:43
Small cattle farms and high density feed lot's are not one and the same. You can go to a local butcher(assuming you live in a rural area) and he can probably tell you which farm the meat came from, but the majority of the meat is not coming from their( at this point I'm talking more about pork and chicken than cow) Most chicken and pig comes from high density feed lot's. If you doubt this go to southern Illinois and try to get within 200 yard of one without gagging. The ground water for five miles(at least) around these is poison.
As for my vehicles, They are better than factory spec's, luckily the faster you make them, the less they pollute at normal driving. The unfortunate fact for most rural Americans is that they cannot get by without transportation. work of any kind is often at least 30 miles away, often 50. However I did spend the summer riding a bicycle to work.

Blue Jay
02-06-2003, 09:05
Ohhh, are you going to get it for those two posts.

Redbeard
02-06-2003, 10:46
Bring it on! I'm not the delicate cautious type.
And one more thing, you are what you eat, and I don't think polar bears like the taste of tofu.
Yum, bean jelly!

smokymtnsteve
02-06-2003, 11:31
Wallyland

big un's eat little un's!

you ever been to west by god VA???

Doctari
06-26-2003, 17:03
Not counting my alchy stove, my kitchen includes:
Pot with lid
Lexan spoon
Pot lifter
Scrubby thing
Lighter.
Pot cozy

Total wt including stove & fuel 1.4 Lbs :banana

brian
06-27-2003, 23:14
Pot w\ Foil lid
Spoon
Gatorade Mix bottle (like lemonade jar)
2 liter camelbak and platy (camelbak for drinking,platy for untreated water in camp)

plus alcohol stove and combined windscreen\potstand

Total Weight:
9.7 oz for all listed
(plus a leatherman micra)

Jaybird
01-23-2004, 11:17
what do i have in my kitchen?????????????????

on the trail...i use a titanium spork for stirring, & eating.
for cooking: a titanium 1.5 ltr pot with lid. (my spork, matches, & PocketRocket stove, & coffee neatly fits into the titanium pot when hiking!)

see ya'll out there in 2004! :D

Dances with Mice
01-23-2004, 12:06
1.5 liter titanium pot & lid
Cup is an empty Campbell's Soup To Go container, with lid.
Lexan spoon with the handle trimmed a little so that it fits inside the pot, with the cup.
2 Gatorade bottles, I guess they're part of the kitchen.
Water bag is the liner from a 3 liter box of wine, inside a mesh bag. And a bit of string so I can hang it from a tree.
Very small (L-word) containers of cayenne pepper and sugar. I guess they might be considered food, I think they're part of the kitchen.

steve hiker
01-23-2004, 13:47
I like to keep my cookware to a minimum. .85 litre ti pot and a spoon, that's it. Cookware can build up to too much weight and pack bulk if you're not careful. Nalgene bottle can double as a coffee mug if I need the pot to cook something else.

uscgretired
01-23-2004, 17:40
My Kitchen consists of:

Spork - Great for Ramen and I have never hurt myself with it.
Evernew 1.3 Titanium Pot sprayed with heatpaint on the bottom. Comes with handles and lid.
MSR Pocket Rocket Stove. Lights first time, everytime. Very Reliable and has simmer control. A little heavy but worth the reliability.
Bic Lighter and Strike Anywhere Matches, you know, the kind that you could light by running them across your Levi's or with your fingernail if you were really cool.
16oz Nalgene Bottle weighing only 2oz and great for coffee, cocoa, or whatever. Almost indestructible. Just pour hot water in, favorite beverage mix, secure lid and shake.
Platy Hoser 60 Bladder and 1 collapsible Platy with push pull lid.

Kozmic Zian
02-12-2004, 10:33
What is in your kitchen? Not your stove, fuel bottle ans such, but your eating utensils. Do you pack like a field chef or a hobo?

BTW, you can make multiple selections in this poll.
Yea, kitchen.............I used to carry a Army canteen cup. Got Hi-tech w/titanium cup; 1 ss spoon w/handle cut off and bent over to fit the 'finger'; and a ss drinking cup....That's it. Most of my food on the AT is 'hard' kind, not alot o' cookin' required. Sometimes I make coffee in'a AM. I got a hell o' a recipe for 'Kozmic Zian's Trailside Cup'a Joe', I'll share it on another forum...KZ@

Grampie
02-12-2004, 11:19
During my thry I carried the following kitchen stuff. If I did another thry I'd take the same.
A 1qt ss MRS pot with a lid that can be used as a fry pan.
Inside my pot was, stove, spoon, pot grabber and lighter.
an insulated 16oz cup with a lid.
A 16 oz. Nalgene bottle for extra water, and 1.8 ltr. Platapus.
That's about it. Could go a little lighter with titanium, but I'm too cheap to spend the money.
:sun

SorFinger
02-21-2004, 22:45
I'm surprised that more people don't use chopsticks. I was debating between the titanium spork and the chopsticks, but one day while I was at work, I realized I didn't have a fork to eat my lunch with (lo mein noodles). I ran downstairs and bought a pair of chopsticks and have beem using them ever since. I don't have any need for a spoon since soup can be sipped and I find I can manipulate much smaller solid peices of food (like grains of rice, for example) much better than with a fork.

I don't have my whole kitchen put together yet. For the most part I've been borrowing stuff. So far, all I have in my kitchen is chopsticks & a water bottle. I plan on getting a large-ish pot (since 2 people will be eating from it) and a mug. I don't think I'll really need a whole lot more than that.

Footslogger
02-21-2004, 23:04
I carry a small titanium pot (I think it's 0.9L), a 2 cup lexan mug and a spoon. Got me all the way from Springer to Katahdin. Never found that I needed anyting else.

HughD
02-21-2004, 23:56
:-? Hmmm I use my nalgene bottle as my drinking cup. I just bought a scale and was surprised to find that the bottle weighs 5.7 ounces! I am going to switch to a sports drink bottle if I can find one to fit in my bottle holder... any suggestions Sarge?
:confused:

Sparky!

Sparky, Check out Hansen sport drink, I believe the same company markets Reebok sport drink. The 20 oz bottle is very light. I carry two bottles. So far I have not run out of water between springs. I bought mine at Giant Eagle, but have seen them in Sheetz and other filling stations/mini-marts.

Rancid
02-22-2004, 00:51
I cut off the bottom 3.5" of an old Platy bladder to eat or drink from. It will stand up on it's own, hold very hot water and is easy to clean and store. I haven't weighted it yet, but it's lighter than a plastic bowl and takes up less space. If you hike in the Southwest, it's good to scrap out water from small tanks(holes) in the rocks, but I also carry a straw for the real small holes and cracks. :cool:

highway
02-22-2004, 08:25
Thank you for alowing this soap box moment.

Hey, I believe we all need a "soapbox moment" on occasion. It helps to vent off a little of the pent-up ire we as individuals have on topics we feel particularly strong about, especially when others are not sharing our enthusiasm.

A suggestion for the moderator: perhaps Attroll could start another heading called "soapbox". So, whenever any of us wanted to climb upon one, we could do it there, instead of subjecting others to it randomly throughout the threads.

I don't know if it would always work, but it would at least be a less profane place to be sent when needed. "Go to the Soapbox" sounds a little better than "Go to hell"! :D

My kitchen is just the .85 L Titanium Kettle and an old titanium spork. I could use more-just don't want to carry more

Kyle & Lisa
02-22-2004, 08:53
I like chopsticks, too as they can second as a weapon (Hiyaaaa!)

However, I wouldn't use on a thru as they would be difficult for eating cereals, oatmeals. I don't care to drink those.

Kyle

SorFinger
02-22-2004, 09:08
Eating oatmeal more than once in my lifetime sounds about as appealing as eating a bowl of paste. No thanks. I'll leave that one home. However, I've found that it is a little more tolerable when mixed with applesauce & water instead of just water or milk. And for cerals, I prefer to much on dry cereals and have a cup of hot cocoa with it. Especially on cold mornings.

Chef2000
02-22-2004, 10:27
:eek: "soylent green is people" ahhghghg.

Im sure somewhere there is an alien race performing the same experiments on hapless humanoids.

My Kitchen equipment changes alot. I love buying new things. I always carry

1. Lexan cup
2. lexan spoon
3. Outdoor Kitchen(spatula, scrubbie, condiments, knife, p38)
4. Condiments( virgin olive oil, garlic pepper, Tobasco, ground ginger, soy sauce and salt n pepper and oregano)
5 My pot changes alot. On LT last year I had Titanium. Im looking at others.
6. This year im adding Titanium saute pan, for pancakes and other things.

On the LT last year I spent some time with Frisisan Rhino, she always made pancakes and they smelled so good, Im trying it this year.

Seems like a lot stuff, but its not that bad.

For water :
2.5 liter platypus
standard size NALGENE
44 oz NALGENE
The last two are empty until I get to camp, or if drought conditions exist.

Ratatosk
02-22-2004, 12:16
0,85 titanium pot, titanium spork, folding cup.

Water form Katadin filter bottle & 2 litre platypus as backup for longer stretches w/o water.

Footslogger
02-22-2004, 12:34
Don't remember who commented on this earlier, but the Nalgene 1L bottles (while very durable) ARE relatively heavy. I didn't even bring one along on my 2003 thru. I used the 20 0z Gatorade or PowerAde bottle and attached it to the shoulder strap of my backpack using lightweight bungee cord. Saw the eco-challenge folks using that approach in years past and also some thru-hikers. It was a great system.

I carried a 1.8 L Platypus on the top of my pack with the hose draped down over my shoulder. The Platy was always filled with water. I would start the day with the 20 oz bottle full of Gatorade or Tang (I carried the powder in my foodbag) and sometimes would even mix the two.

Not sure if this qualifies as a response concerning "kitchen items", but saw others commenting on water containers and thought I'd weigh in on the topic.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2004, 12:48
18 year old stainless steel pot with lid, non-stick fry pan, fork, spoon, insulated mug, Pocket Rocket stove

Thomas Hughes
02-23-2004, 19:16
Dependind on what type of backpacking I'm doing, I cary different stuff. Someone was giving a reference to "Red Necks". I'm one "RedNek". If I'm out hunting and backpacking I carry a 1943 G.I. mess kit. The mess kit is vary tuff and is lighter than my MSR pot with the lid. In the mess kit you can put all of your spic, coffie, the non self damaging spork, ect. I like the "N" botle too. It's a four wheel drive water botle. Kinda neet for mixing drinks when your out and looking for some liquid fun. Any water botle from the gas station will do thow. I take my new rude MSR International stove. When I'm just backpacking and out where alot of "Tree Loving Poeple" are, I carry the MSR Pot with the heat exchanger. I find that other people find it sick and wrong to kill wild life on the trail to eat. No fun in that. "Want some rabbit with that?"
:-?

beatbox
02-23-2004, 19:35
I cary a .85 liter titanium pot adn a titanium sopork. I also carry a 1 oz. pot cozy for longer cooking items...it more than saves its weight in fuel conserved. As far as drinking I use a 32 oz. Aquafina bottle/Gatorade bottle as I feel fit. I have a 2LPlatypus plastic bag. I don't think Aquafina is involved in lab practices are they?

hungryhowie
02-23-2004, 19:56
Pot: MSR Titan Kettle 4oz
Spoon: MSR Titanium spoon 0.5oz
Stove: tuna can ~0.5oz

You'd be surprised what you can do with such a utilitarian combo...

-Howie

PKH
02-24-2004, 06:42
Brasslite Turbo 1, 2 1/2 cup aluminum kettle (manufacturer unknown), 2 powdered Gaterade or Koolaid jars with quilted cozy, Lexan spoon, and a litre Nalgene type water bottle. Stove and pot may vary from trip to trip.

Cheers,

PKH

azchipka
02-24-2004, 09:04
Well i have to admit my kitchen is one of the heavy parts of my bag, I have the view point that if i dont eat well on the trail it wont matter how light my pack is as I will not feel the joy of sitting around and camp fire and having a good meal. so lets see whats in my bag

1. GSI Bugaboo Non-Stick Mess Kit (bowl, cup, fry pan, and a pot. frying pan and pot act as lids for each other)...weighs in at 1lb 1oz.

2. Outdoor research - Kitchen Camper weighs in at 2lb 4.8 oz fully loaded. Ok yes i know this is alot of weight but its well worth it. Included in this kit are the following small cutting board, sharp light weight knife, fork, spoon, butter knife, chop sticks, wisk, spatula, salt & pepper shaker, spong for cleaning, esbit tablets, and a whole bunch of liquid and spice containers including (vingar, virgin olive oil, A1, soy suace, liquid butter, diced onions, diced garlic, italian seasonsing, parsley, brown sugar, sugar, basil, mustard seeds, thyme, mint, hot sauce, corn starch, and a bunch of condiment packages.

3. Nalgene Bottle (normal size) - this is used for making iced tea, iced coffee, and kool aid for during my day hiking. Around 4pm it turns into a container for preping dinner (meat - chicken, steak, rabbit marinades and things like that).

4. 100oz camel back for main water supply during day and main water supply for the evening around the fire.

hungryhowie
02-24-2004, 10:50
Pot: MSR Titan Kettle 4oz
Spoon: MSR Titanium spoon 0.5oz
Stove: tuna can ~0.5oz

You'd be surprised what you can do with such a utilitarian combo...

-Howie

Didn't realize that most people were listing water stuff too. So in addition to the above, I also carry:

Water storage: 100oz Camelback reservoir ~4oz
Additional storage: 2L MSR Dromlite ~3oz
Treatment: Aqua Mira ~2oz

-Howie

Jaybird
02-25-2004, 06:37
Well i have to admit my kitchen is one of the heavy parts of my bag, .................................................. .....

Yo Digital Ranger:

How heavy is your pack gonna be??????????????????????????????????

see ya'll Up the trail!

sakkit
03-06-2004, 17:08
I use 1 Evernew .9L Ti pot. Snowpeak chopsticks. Gravity Gear pot cozy. I'm currently looking for a wooden spoon that looks like the porcelain spoons you see in oriental shops .

sakkit

oyvay
03-23-2004, 16:24
I carry a .9L (I think) titanium pot, used to have an aluminuim pot until the handle broke and decided to treat myself to the titanium one. I may go back to the old pot now that I've acquired a pot gripper (someone left in a shelter). 2 Lexan spoons, a cup for drinking and dipping, 1L nalgene (I know they're heavy but I can fill it with hot water on cold nights to prewarm the sleeping bag) and a water bag to have water ready for treating in the morning.
As far as the Nalgene company/animal testing goes, yes it can be cruel but if anyone is diabetic or knows any diabetic if there were no animal testing there would be no insulin and diabetes would not be a treatable disease. Even vegans are guilty of using products made from petroleum, do we blame them for the high oil prices? :confused:

wspartykid
03-27-2004, 05:13
chopsticks rule!!!!!! http://www.snowpeak.com/gear/sct003.html

Mushroom 96
04-20-2004, 15:00
I carry a titanium pot and a stainless steel spoon. I saw way to many lexan spoons break in the middle of a pint of Ben and Jerry's. The other benefit is that I would merely heat it in the flames of my whisperlite of cool it in the bowl of boiling water. I never had to worry about a dirty spoon! I also never left town without salt, tabasco, and creole salt (konrico brand), it improves the taste of anything. just a basic kitchen.

smokymtnsteve
06-17-2004, 21:00
Hey, I like Soylent green. With a side order of soma please.

Yes pass the SOMA please!

Tater
06-18-2004, 19:37
I always take a couple of those tiny plastic bottles for salt and spices. It's something a lot of hikers overlook, but can make a world of difference when eating bland Mountain House or other prefab dry foods.

grrickar
06-19-2004, 14:05
Small Scrubber
Snow Peak Ti 34oz capacity pot -3oz weight?
Snow Peak Ti 17oz capacity Frying pan - Doubles as a plate/lid for pot -2oz weight?
TEKK Lexan fork/spook/knife combo - 1oz (and only $2 at Campmor)
Nalgene bottle for measuring/drinking cup
salt/pepper/tabasco

hiker5
08-17-2004, 21:14
-Grease pot
-The lightest spoon in the kitchen drawer for now
-Lemonade Canister (ala SGT Rock)

Jaybird
08-18-2004, 05:20
i know i've already voted several pages back...but, have updated the kitchen since my last post in this FORUM.

I'm throwing out my MSR steel pot (1.5liter) for a .9liter Titanium Eversave pot with folding handle...what else in the JAYBIRD's kitchen?
just a SPORK! :D

I_think_I_can
08-21-2004, 16:05
I'm surprised that more people don't use chopsticks. I was debating between the titanium spork and the chopsticks, but one day while I was at work, I realized I didn't have a fork to eat my lunch with (lo mein noodles). I ran downstairs and bought a pair of chopsticks and have beem using them ever since. I don't have any need for a spoon since soup can be sipped and I find I can manipulate much smaller solid peices of food (like grains of rice, for example) much better than with a fork.
I got the colapsable snowpeak chopsticks and I love them! I probably won't bother to bring any other silverwear. Chopsticks rock!

Erin :D

Volleydoll18
01-04-2005, 20:45
It makes a lot of sense to be a vegetarian. It wouldn’t harm animals. We wouldn’t waste the amount of farmland on a couple of cows that we could use growing rice or other food to feed a whole nation of people. It is cheaper, healthier, and more economical.

Saying that, I do eat meat on occasion, and I love my nalgene bottles. In my kitchen, I have a whisperlite international, an MSR titan, a spork, and a plastic Tupperware bowl with a cover.

neo
01-04-2005, 21:17
i carry a snowpeak titanium spork and a msr titan kettle:sun neo

uscgretired
01-04-2005, 21:29
Snowpeak Spork, Evernew 1.3 liter Titanium Pot w/lid and 16oz. Nalgene bottle for hot drinks or whatever.

Divining Rod
01-04-2005, 21:35
I'm a hobo, one pot and one spork.

steve hiker
01-04-2005, 21:49
I keep my kitchen items minimal, not only for weight purposes but b/c I don't have patience for the gourmet route. I'm a boil and eat type. Thus I carry:

.85 litre titanium pot
plastic spoon
1 nalgene and 1 gatorade bottle

Coffee I make in, and drink out of the pot. Cozies are essential for maintaining heat. I have a pot cozy and just made a nalgene cozy out of bubble wrap, heavy duty foil and duck tape.

Nameless
01-06-2005, 16:19
Hello

I use a simple 1.4 liter titanium pot and a fork tied to a shoesting. I can NEVER keep track of my fork if it isnt on the shoestring, and i always find myself using it sooo much to tie other things to my pack with it.

Th lid of my pot works as a frying pan or smaller pan for smaller items. or as a plate or a cup. I used to cook with a bowl that was 0.8 liter, but i got tired of not being able to stir or cook huge meals. Hence, the huge pot now. I plan to build cozies for the pot and lid later.

As for water... one 1 quart platypus for flavored drinks on the trail, and one 4 quart platypus with a hydration linkup for my main water. Its never going to be full while hiking, ususally well less then half. But it is sooooo nice to have the room around camp, fill it up when you get to camp, and you are set for the night, the morning, and the hike the next day for one, or dinner and breakfast for two to four.

And dont buy things at wally world myself...

Pink

jlb2012
01-06-2005, 17:00
Currently I am using a chopped off Heineken 24 ounce beer can for boiling water (my "pot"), a foil lid for the pot, a closed cell foam zip lock cozy with a separate closed cell foam lid, a lexan spoon, and a bandana (pot lifter, pot drier). Typically I will use a granola bar to hold the foil lid on the pot but sometimes I will use a small rock.

all cooking is done in the ziplock / cozy although I will sometimes make tea directly in the pot which then serves as my cup

I have also been known to make tea in a ziplock and to drink it from the ziplock itself while the tea is kept warm by the cozy.

SGT Rock
01-06-2005, 17:10
HOI's system is pretty slick. He sent me one in Iraq to play with. Saves cleaning pots a lot.

HOI, have you seen some of these new sport drinks that come in an aluminum bottle? The lid can be screwed on to make it water tight so it can serve as both a water heating pot for your system and a water bottle while hiking. It is about the same as the Foster's Beer can because it has a similar sized recess in the bottom of the can that the pot support could fit up insde of like your system uses. I didn'tweigh one, but it is probably a little heavier than the Fosters can.

Freighttrain
01-06-2005, 17:31
i'm evolving into a no-cook hiker... all i need now is a spoon..

ive ditched my pot,lid,cup, stove, pot stand, windscreen, fuel and fuel bottle.

i mostly eat a no-cook caserole for supper...eating right from the ziploc which doubles as its own trashbag

jlb2012
01-06-2005, 17:40
HOI, have you seen some of these new sport drinks that come in an aluminum bottle? The lid can be screwed on to make it water tight so it can serve as both a water heating pot for your system and a water bottle while hiking. It is about the same as the Foster's Beer can because it has a similar sized recess in the bottom of the can that the pot support could fit up insde of like your system uses. I didn'tweigh one, but it is probably a little heavier than the Fosters can.

This is the first I have heard of the sports drink - I had heard about the beer in an AL bottle that had some possibilities but this is the first for the sports drink.

Does anyone know which brand of sports drink has this AL bottle and where I might find it in VA?

SGT Rock
01-06-2005, 17:46
I have the bottle at home. I am currently on TDY to Hattiesburg, MS. When I get back I can give you the name. I found it in the organic and helth food section of my local Kroger in TN.

MOWGLI
01-06-2005, 17:51
Franks Hot Sauce!! Olive Oil!!

rpettit
01-07-2005, 11:19
HOI, How much does your 24 oz Heiniken pot weigh? Did you modify it? If so, how?

jlb2012
01-07-2005, 12:53
HOI, How much does your 24 oz Heiniken pot weigh? Did you modify it? If so, how?

I think StoveStomper weighed the pot and it came in at about 0.9 ounces - the entire cookset comes in at just under 4 ounces. pictures and descriptions (http://www.datasync.com/~wksmith/hoikit.html) Other discussion (http://www.backpacking.net/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=36223&page=16&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

with respect to the can I just chopped the top off at about the second small ring down on the side and then smoothed the edge off first with sissors and then rubbing the edge with the handle of a pair of pliers until it felt smooth to my fingers and there was no overly sharp places on the edge.

Goalkeeper31
01-26-2005, 10:21
My other is a SPORK! Spork spork spork

CynJ
10-24-2005, 09:40
I'm still working on my setup but this is what I have planned (keep in mind that I really like to cook and be creative)

1 cookpot with lid (right now using greasepot but I think I want to use something a little sturdier that the lid doubles as a fry pan)

1 lexan spoon

1 lexan fork

1 folding 3in single blade Buck Knife (1oz!)

1 quart sized gladware bowl w/cozy

1 lemonade container for rehydrating

1 baking setup (small bundt pan and cookie cutter for baking ring -these fit in the grease pot for baking)

Then I have my stove setup- Cat stove, pot support/windscreen, pot grabber (tongs)

Spices: salt, pepper, mrs. dash

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-24-2005, 10:39
I use lemon juice bottles, they are made of the exact same plastic (I'm a chemist).
Will have to test this. Thanks for info.

My kitchen - a SnowPeak1 titanium cookset inside a 30+ year old alum. pot (2 qt) with lid which sits in a 30+ year old alum. fry pan (quit laughing) in a mesh bag. MSR Whisperlite International stove and two lexan sporks also inside with a lexan backpacker salt / pepper shaker - one side has salt / pepper mix and other has garlic powder, a 3" square of scrub material and a camp towel also in large pot. An 8oz contact lens solution bottle filled with olive oil in food bag. Use Snowpeak pots as cups/bowls and for cooking.

Seeker
10-24-2005, 10:41
pot and spoon when alone, add a cup and bowl when my daughter comes along.

the goat
10-24-2005, 11:35
spoon only....for peanut butter.

jledington2002@gmail
12-29-2005, 10:54
Ok I was wondering if anyone has hiked as a couple, and if you did what wouldor did you bring in your kitchen for two.

Seeker
12-29-2005, 11:23
Ok I was wondering if anyone has hiked as a couple, and if you did what would or did you bring in your kitchen for two.

my 11 year old daughter being along doesn't exactly make us 'a couple', but i really don't change much... she doesn't eat as much as i do, but i still have to bring extra food for her. the basic kitchen setup is the same. i can cook a whole ramen noodle or lipton noodles and sauce packet with some added meat, enough for both of us, in the same pot(s) i use when solo (titan kettle or walmart grease pot). both weigh about 4 oz, but the grease pot holds a little more (and was a gift from her), so i tend to take it when she's along. i also carry an extra spoon, cup, and bowl for her (i normally eat straight from the pot, after serving her.) less than 3 oz added weight. but that's all the difference between solo and 'couple'. it works for me. i'd do the same if my older daughter or wife went along.