PDA

View Full Version : Ski sidetrip

Miel
03-16-2016, 09:06
Many many fine mountains from Maine on down. Who amongst you has taken a side trip to ski during your AT hike? How do you manage this (unless a friend or family is meeting up with you)?

I think it could be a fun add-on to a thru-hike.

rafe
03-16-2016, 09:12
Ski season doesn't overlap with thru-hiking season. I'm a lifelong skier so your question is interesting -- I'm well aware that the At passes over or near a lot of my favorite ski areas in New England.

Slo-go'en
03-16-2016, 10:15
Yea, if you finish your hike in October and want to hang around for a while, then you can go sking. Slopes can open as early as Thanksgiving (at least for the weekend) or as late as Christmas.

rafe
03-16-2016, 10:18
Actually, places like Killington and Sunday River have competed for years for "earliest opening date" and nowadays it's usually right around Halloween. But generally on the opening date there are only a handful of slopes open, with 100% man-made snow.

FrogLevel
03-16-2016, 20:27
You can see Beech Mountain, NC from Hump Mountain and its currently open for skiing so I guess its possible if you really try!

evyck da fleet
03-16-2016, 21:06
If you left late enough going SOBO and caught an early winter storm in the Smokies that forced you off the trail, I imagine you could go skiing somewhere in NC. I'm not a skier just guessing.

I guess that might work the same in you left Springer early in the year.

Miel
03-17-2016, 08:11
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on the matter!

colorado_rob
03-17-2016, 09:12
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on the matter! Come on out and hike the CO trail and do a side-trip ski day. Arapahoe Basin, not too far from the trail (close to Breckenridge) tries to stay open until the 4th of July. Lots of shirtless and bikini skiing starting in June... talk about sunburn potential! (been there)

Miel
03-17-2016, 09:24
Come on out and hike the CO trail and do a side-trip ski day. Arapahoe Basin, not too far from the trail (close to Breckenridge) tries to stay open until the 4th of July. Lots of shirtless and bikini skiing starting in June... talk about sunburn potential! (been there)

That would be something! Maybe one day. :)

rafe
03-17-2016, 09:25
Some of the lifts might be running. My nephew and I took a ride up and down Wildcat on our way home from a section hike in Maine.