PDA

View Full Version : Hike at McAfee Knob

Heather1027
03-16-2016, 16:25
Basically just a question about the parking situation. We're planning on doing the McAfee Knob hike possibly in May. It will be an overnight trip so I was wondering if it was okay/safe to leave our car overnight at the parking lot on VA-311? We're driving up from NC so to do this in a day might not be reasonable. :) Any suggestions on favorite camping spots would also be appreciated! :) Thanks in advance!

Slo-go'en
03-16-2016, 16:42
It's a very large parking lot, good for maybe 50 cars? It's a popular area. And because of that, camping is restricted to the designated sites (shelters). Avoid weekends.

jimmyjam
03-16-2016, 18:33
After you see McAfee, keep on going north to the next shelter-Campbell it's only 4.4 miles from 311. If that's not far enough or no water go on to Lambert's Meadow shelter another 6 miles further. Plenty of camping spots around Campbell shelter.

mtntopper
03-16-2016, 19:30
It is safe to leave a car there. Yes, this is a very popular place and can get very crowded on the weekends, best to visit on Monday thru Thursday. They are cracking down on illegal camping and behavior in this area. Visit RATC.org website for more info. Enjoy your trip.

ernie84
03-16-2016, 20:55
The Pig Farm Campsite and Campbell Shelter are 0.6 and 0.7 miles, respectively, north of MacAfee Knob. Either of these would be good options. About 6.9 miles past MacAfee (10.4 mile from VA 311) is Lambert Meadow Shelter. Go another 0.3 miles and you will reach there Lambert's Meadow primitive campsite. The primitive campsite here is very nice. It is right next to a creek with lots of places to pitch a tent. Camping at Lambert's Meadow will also give you the opportunity to see the sunset from Tinker Cliffs.

I wouldn't worry about leaving my car at VA 311 for one night. Just make sure you don't leave any valuables in sight. I second what others have said about the crowds. Go during the week if possible.

Studlintsean
03-17-2016, 08:13
I can't comment on the parking area being safe but from the local folks above, it's sounds as if it is. I did the section from Catawba and Daleville this past weekend and would highly recommend the Lamberts Meadow Campsite. We started around 11 AM on Friday and saw tons of people heading up McAfee Knob but after that it was wide open. The hike up tinker cliffs got me sweating but it was well worth the views. Enjoy the hike.

Studlintsean
03-17-2016, 08:21

First photo is of Lamberts Meadow Campsite from the picnic table and the second is of the do and I on top of McAfee Knob.

Heather1027
03-18-2016, 14:44

First photo is of Lamberts Meadow Campsite from the picnic table and the second is of the do and I on top of McAfee Knob.

Very cool! I can't wait to check it out myself! :)