PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor gear shops on the trail

Jowy
03-16-2016, 19:10
Hey I'm starting a NOBO hike in May and I plan on taking a cheap sleeping bag for the first month or so, as I get further north and it gets cooler I'd like to be able to just dump the bag in a bin and walk into a store and buy a new bag, I'm assuming hikers are big business so are there plenty of stores along the way?

saltysack
03-16-2016, 19:14
It's only getting hotter after may!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
03-16-2016, 19:18
Sorry....forgot to answer your question you have Bluff mtn outfitters in hot springs, NC and mount Rodgers outfitters in Damascus.....by then you will probably end up ordering a quilt from a cottage manufacture and have it shipped to post office...

Jowy
03-16-2016, 19:25
It'll be cold in Maine in September/October though right? Or will a cheap bag still be OK then?

Cookerhiker
03-16-2016, 20:05
You'll need a warmer, non-cheap bag by the time you reach New Hampshire. Otherwise, your cheapie will work fine. Saltysack is correct - you'll be quite hot for most of your hike. PA, NJ, NY, CT may be in the north, but they're very hot & humid in summer, especially compared to the UK.

saltysack
03-16-2016, 20:07
Sorry I misread your question..thought you said in a month...I'm always plenary warm on southern AT with a 45* deg quilt during the summer but don't have any experience up north...someone will chime in but sept oct isn't summer so I'd imagine a 15* bag/quilt would be sufficient with good base layers that time of year. I was on JMT last September-October at high elevation and a 15* was sufficient.

Venchka
03-16-2016, 20:07
Hey I'm starting a NOBO hike in May and I plan on taking a cheap sleeping bag for the first month or so, as I get further north and it gets cooler I'd like to be able to just dump the bag in a bin and walk into a store and buy a new bag, I'm assuming hikers are big business so are there plenty of stores along the way?

Drop the bag at a homeless shelter or thrift store that will give it to someone who can't afford to buy it.
Dropping it at a shelter is bad karma.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

saltysack
03-16-2016, 20:33
Drop the bag at a homeless shelter or thrift store that will give it to someone who can't afford to buy it.

Wayne

Yep I have lost count of all the cheapo bags I've seen left behind at shelters....only use they get is being a home for vermin!!!

Jowy
03-17-2016, 08:18

Wayne

Roger that, I didn't mean just left in a shelter though, our bin is your trash can.

Venchka
03-17-2016, 21:04
Roger that, I didn't mean just left in a shelter though, our bin is your trash can.

I knew that. My words were more for the unknowing or uncaring.
You're cool. Have a great hike.

Wayne