PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Damasus

pickle
03-16-2016, 20:32
I am trying to find nearest greyhound or Amtrak to Damascus?

mtntopper
03-16-2016, 20:49
No Amtrak. Take a bus to Abington Va. Then a shuttle to Damascus.

Slo-go'en
03-16-2016, 20:56
I always use Marion, VA which is about 30 miles north of Damascus. Logistically it's SO much easier as no shuttle in needed.

It's the closest you can get to the trail by bus in that general geographic area.

Lone Wolf
03-16-2016, 20:57

no bus station in abingdon. there's one in bristol, tn. and one in marion, va., both 30 miles from damascus

Lone Wolf
03-16-2016, 20:59
I always use Marion, VA which is about 30 miles north of Damascus. Logistically it's SO much easier as no shuttle in needed.

It's the closest you can get to the trail by bus in that general geographic area.

how you figure no shuttle? it's a long azz walk to d-town

HDLV
03-16-2016, 21:02

do you then hike in? Is the stop pretty close to the trail?

HDLV
03-16-2016, 21:03
Sorry, response with wrong quote.

Slo-go'en
03-16-2016, 21:41
how you figure no shuttle? it's a long azz walk to d-town

I figure you don't bother to go to d-town at all. Get on the trail at Partnership.

But if there is some compelling need to start at Damascus, call a shuttle.

Lone Wolf
03-16-2016, 21:48
I figure you don't bother to go to d-town at all. Get on the trail at Partnership.

But if there is some compelling need to start at Damascus, call a shuttle.

he/she said they wanna go to damascus

Slo-go'en
03-16-2016, 22:01
do you then hike in? Is the stop pretty close to the trail?

The AT goes right threw the middle of Damascus. Get there and your on the trail. Toss a coin and go north or south.

But the trick is getting to Damascus, since it's in the middle of nowhere. The closest bus stops are at Marion, VA and Bristal, TN. Once you get to one of these bus stops, you need someone to drive you to Damascus. This is where the shuttle comes in. Check the WB homepage to locate shuttle drivers for that area.

Depending on what you want to do, getting on the trail at Marion, VA is easier. Call a taxi or use a twice a day 50 cent local bus. If want to see the Grayson Highlands, you can do a nice loop from Marion, down to Damascus on the AT and then back to Marion via the Iron Mt trail.

Lone Wolf
03-16-2016, 22:17
the thread is "getting to damascus". damascus is hardly in the middle of nowhere. PM me pickle if you need a shuttle