PDA

View Full Version : Larger volume packs

oliviamariana
03-16-2016, 21:59
I'm hiking with a dog, and so I have chosen to purchase a larger volume pack than I anticipate needing in case I have to lighten his pack. Could not filling it completely throw off the weight distribution? If so, do y'all have suggestions for correcting this problem while it's not full?

Slo-go'en
03-16-2016, 22:05
Usually there is a way to cinch down the width of the pack body so stuff can be more evenly distributed along the length of the pack, so it doesn't all just lump up near the bottom.

wvbackpacker
03-16-2016, 22:10
Either master, or pup is the same... Balance as you go. I've found my (most excellent) Granite Gear dog pack needs consistent balance. I will empty either H2O reservoir equally when resting, or things WILL definitely get janky...

DuneElliot
03-17-2016, 09:51
Simple answer...yes, it can.

What extra weight are you thinking he may not be able to carry? Any healthy dog should be able to carry enough of their own food for 4-5 days at 20% of their body weight. I rarely bother carrying water for my dogs when we're hiking or riding so for me, that isn't an issue. If this is of concern to you, you are really only looking at a small amount of extra space needed for anything dog related...and you don't need 10 extra liters in your pack for that!

oliviamariana
03-17-2016, 12:35
Simple answer...yes, it can.

What extra weight are you thinking he may not be able to carry? Any healthy dog should be able to carry enough of their own food for 4-5 days at 20% of their body weight. I rarely bother carrying water for my dogs when we're hiking or riding so for me, that isn't an issue. If this is of concern to you, you are really only looking at a small amount of extra space needed for anything dog related...and you don't need 10 extra liters in your pack for that!

He'll have food and his gear. Since he is a lab mix and has a risk for hip dysplasia I want to be able to remove his weight at the first sign of any sort of issues or if he gets hurt any distance from a ride to the nearest vet's office. He eats a pretty hefty amount of food now so I can't even imagine what he'll go through on the trail and unfortunately I won't be able to afford freeze dried lightweight dog food for any significant period of time. My attitude to his pack is that ideally he pulls his own weight, but this crazy adventure was my idea so I need to be prepared to carry his whole pack if need be. Hopefully/Most likely I won't ever have to but I'd feel irresponsible hitting the trail without being prepared for that scenario

squeezebox
03-17-2016, 12:40
Do you filter your dog's water?

DuneElliot
03-17-2016, 12:42
He'll have food and his gear. Since he is a lab mix and has a risk for hip dysplasia I want to be able to remove his weight at the first sign of any sort of issues or if he gets hurt any distance from a ride to the nearest vet's office. He eats a pretty hefty amount of food now so I can't even imagine what he'll go through on the trail and unfortunately I won't be able to afford freeze dried lightweight dog food for any significant period of time. My attitude to his pack is that ideally he pulls his own weight, but this crazy adventure was my idea so I need to be prepared to carry his whole pack if need be. Hopefully/Most likely I won't ever have to but I'd feel irresponsible hitting the trail without being prepared for that scenario

Look into other kinds of dry dog food. There are several reasonably affordable foods that are used for working dogs, like sled dogs on the Iditarod which means he could get the same amount of calories with less food. What do you feed him now?

Also, have the vet check him to see if he actually is at risk for hip displaisa or not...x-rays will help determine a lot and put your mind at ease. It's an inherited condition and he will either suffer from it or he won't...and he will, you won't want to take him anyway, and if he won't then there's nothing to worry about.

Water Rat
03-17-2016, 12:49

I think it is wonderful you are thinking ahead of potential issues - both of you will be all the happier for it!

Another thing you will need to watch for during the summer months - Heat related issues. The heat and humidity combined with carrying a pack can really get to a dog. Last year on Trail Journals, Greg (Hawkeye) and Lucy (a pooch) were hiking. He talked about a lot of her issues along the trail. When she had issues with the heat he did have to take her pack. She was good to go after that. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=480298

oliviamariana
03-17-2016, 13:18
Do you filter your dog's water?

I make that judgment on a case-by-case basis. clear running water I'll usually put in a bowl for him to drink as is, but if it's not fast moving or if it looks at all suspicious I use my steri-pen on his water

oliviamariana
03-17-2016, 13:22
Look into other kinds of dry dog food. There are several reasonably affordable foods that are used for working dogs, like sled dogs on the Iditarod which means he could get the same amount of calories with less food. What do you feed him now?

Also, have the vet check him to see if he actually is at risk for hip displaisa or not...x-rays will help determine a lot and put your mind at ease. It's an inherited condition and he will either suffer from it or he won't...and he will, you won't want to take him anyway, and if he won't then there's nothing to worry about.

He eats taste of the wild now, which is a pretty efficient food as they go. I'll definitely look into the iditarod though thanks for the tip!

I'm going to do a strictly trail related vet trip to discuss tick prevention and dew claw removal (he tends to rip them off and an infection on the trail would be a pretty quick way to kill our hiking buzz) among other things, I'll add an x-ray to the list! Either way, I'll probably plan to be able to take his pack in an emergency if necessary.

oliviamariana
03-17-2016, 13:23
I think it is wonderful you are thinking ahead of potential issues - both of you will be all the happier for it!

Another thing you will need to watch for during the summer months - Heat related issues. The heat and humidity combined with carrying a pack can really get to a dog. Last year on Trail Journals, Greg (Hawkeye) and Lucy (a pooch) were hiking. He talked about a lot of her issues along the trail. When she had issues with the heat he did have to take her pack. She was good to go after that. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=480298

Have you looked at the swamp cooler by ruffwear? Its meant to help keep them cool by simulating a heat evaporating mechanism equivalent to sweating...you drench the vest and then put it on them -- living in louisiana I think I'm going to get one this summer for Diesel because he has such a rough time in the heat -- black dog struggles.

DuneElliot
03-17-2016, 13:29
He eats taste of the wild now, which is a pretty efficient food as they go. I'll definitely look into the iditarod though thanks for the tip!

I'm going to do a strictly trail related vet trip to discuss tick prevention and dew claw removal (he tends to rip them off and an infection on the trail would be a pretty quick way to kill our hiking buzz) among other things, I'll add an x-ray to the list! Either way, I'll probably plan to be able to take his pack in an emergency if necessary.

I had done a lot of research a while back regarding this issue. I think I have it on my home computer. I'll double check and see if I do and let you know what I had listed.

oliviamariana
03-17-2016, 13:34
I had done a lot of research a while back regarding this issue. I think I have it on my home computer. I'll double check and see if I do and let you know what I had listed.

thanks so much that would be a big help! Turbo Pup makes light weight bars that I may splurge on for one of his meals per day in order to lighten up his pack a bit but that still leaves two more meals

Gambit McCrae
03-17-2016, 13:41
I will wait for Tipi to chime in on this one, a perfect thread for him haha

CoolBobby
03-17-2016, 13:52
I hike with an Osprey Aether 70 all the time half full. I am a big guy, but sometimes when out on day hikes, or overnights I only fill it half way. Most decent packs will have compression straps that run horizontal across the pack for this very reason. Osprey call them "Straight Jacket" straps but I have seem them on other packs.. Just pack it so the weight is distributed, and tighten down your straps and hike on...