PDA

View Full Version : Don't Go With the Walking World

Nate
12-23-2005, 00:10
Here it is, December, Christmas is upon us, and yet this is when I realize that alot of the people I come in contact with everyday are in life for the wrong reasons. Rant and rave, run and shout, it never ends. You see, I am one of those people who hates being inside, but try being inside with thousands of unpleasent people everyday, but rather I deal with it. I work at K-Mart... I am like a caged dog, kinneled for his torchure. Just tied at the foot of a great chain of mountains, ready to run, but whipped back by his chains at his departure. Being on the trail is a gift, a great escape from the society I know. Life on the AT is different, its a place to leave it all behind, but I realize one can not have this peace all the time. Thats why we need to talk... You can brighten up someones day by a simple smile, or think of this, a gesture of "hello" or "Merry Christmas" would do. When I wake everyday it is a blessing to be alive, and if I can change someones day for the better, I've done more than anybody on this Earth. So this holiday season, slow down, smile, gesture, change days and change lives for the better.

:sun Nate

bfitz
12-23-2005, 02:45
Nate, you're a softy!:D But I hope you're the guy who helps me at K-Mart next time I'm there ...Save that money and get on the trail next spring...:welcome

hammock engineer
12-23-2005, 09:11
I see the same thing in my job. I took a job as a server at a restruant to help pay for my thru next year. I see a lot of familys come in that look really mad at each other. I often wonder if they sit at home get pissed off when they realize how bad their life is, then figure they might as well go out to eat to try to make it better.

It helps to look at this job as a means to an end. That and think and plan about my hike the whole time.

littlelaurel59
12-23-2005, 09:27
In contrast, I LOVE my job.

As a pediatrician, I have the honor of working with kids. Preschoolers laugh and play and know how to have fun without spending $$$$ on the latest techno-gadget. They will play with each other for hours on a playground without even knowing each other's name (much less what kind of car they drive, how much they make, or if they are members of the right club).

If you can't get to the trail, go to a playground. Watch the kids. They will show you how to love, how to laugh, how to live. The older I get, the more I try to emulate them. They live the freedom many of us find in the wilderness.

bfitz
12-24-2005, 02:46
In contrast, I LOVE my job.

As a pediatrician, I have the honor of working with kids. Preschoolers laugh and play and know how to have fun without spending $$$$ on the latest techno-gadget. They will play with each other for hours on a playground without even knowing each other's name (much less what kind of car they drive, how much they make, or if they are members of the right club).

If you can't get to the trail, go to a playground. Watch the kids. They will show you how to love, how to laugh, how to live. The older I get, the more I try to emulate them. They live the freedom many of us find in the wilderness.
It's true, I sware my favorite playmates are 4 and six years old...Too bad you get em when they're sick and cranky...have any of your own?

littlelaurel59
12-24-2005, 08:51
I have a 12 year old son who is my hiking buddy (He's getting a hammock for Christmas!) One of his (our) goals is to visit Philmont Scout Ranch in the next few years. He has the typical teen boy addiction to things electronic, but is more pleasant when away from them.

BW2006
12-24-2005, 09:05
I saw the Dalai Lama speak a few months ago and he said we can't change the world at once, all we can do is change the individuals in the world one at a time. We must find calm, peace and forgiveness within ourselves and with our families and people we run into everyday. f we can't do that, how can we possibly expect to have peace!

This is a fitting topic for the holidays! merry Christmas and Happy hanukkah to all! Barbie

rickb
12-24-2005, 09:31
Merry Christmas from Massachusetts!

(Photo from Plum Island)

Nightwalker
12-24-2005, 13:11
I saw the Dalai Lama speak a few months ago and he said we can't change the world at once, all we can do is change the individuals in the world one at a time. We must find calm, peace and forgiveness within ourselves and with our families and people we run into everyday. f we can't do that, how can we possibly expect to have peace!

This is a fitting topic for the holidays! merry Christmas and Happy hanukkah to all! Barbie
You can only change yourself. <---Period.

bfitz
12-24-2005, 14:00
Well...other people have inspired me to change, so...you can always lead em to water at least. You can be a part of helping others change, if just a small part. Its true though, the hard work comes from within. I guess we should all try to be examples, or to follow good ones eh? But it all starts within you, no doubt about it. My grandma used to say "If you want to be happy, be good." Sounds simple, doesn't it?

PartnerShip
12-24-2005, 15:49
We both work as servers at a huge resort here in WNC , The Grove Park Inn and a restaurant beside of it. We are working tonite and all day and nite tomorrow. Lots of reservations and like someone here said before, the majority of the customers are rude, impatient and stressed to the max. But then you will have that one customer who thanks you for working on the holiday and appreciates your service and accomodation and it makes the whole day. I have heard that these are the kind of people we can look forward to meeting on the AT in 2006 when we start our hike. Can't wait. We started a journal on Trail Journals if anyone is interested (Debbie & Stillness 2006) and funny but the last few entries I was mentioning the same thing as this post.
Happy Holidays!

smokymtnsteve
12-24-2005, 18:05

U got dat rite :sun

lobster
12-25-2005, 01:39
"the majority of the customers are rude, impatient and stressed to the max."

Well, just be rude back!!!

neighbor dave
12-25-2005, 09:38
If you can't get to the trail, go to a playground. Watch the kids.

unfortnuately these days doin' that might get you alot of strange stares from the parents,thinkin' your some kind of prevert. just keep yer hands out of your pockets and don't bring any candy with you.:jump :jump

walkin' wally
12-25-2005, 10:33
"the majority of the customers are rude, impatient and stressed to the max."

Well, just be rude back!!!

Wanna get them back real good?... Just smile ;)