PDA

View Full Version : New Katahdin sign

JohnHuth
03-17-2016, 09:34
New sign on top of Katahdin

colorado_rob
03-17-2016, 09:39
Kinda sad in a way, I loved the look of that old one, but it really was about time I suppose.

hubcap
03-17-2016, 09:39
too much champagne spilled on the old one? :eek: :D

Puddlefish
03-17-2016, 09:45
too much champagne spilled on the old one? :eek: :D

I imagine it will be properly christened before I arrive.

soumodeler
03-17-2016, 10:25
I give it 2 days before someone carves their name in it! And that is probably optimistic...

peakbagger
03-17-2016, 10:35
The sign get replaced every several years, its a harsh environment. At least they haven't switched over the National Forest signs made out of what looks to be McDonalds booth rejects (laminated plastic with brown outer layer and light interior so the letters have contrast when routed). I also expect they have to brace up the sign to make it safe for folks to stand on it.

Slo-go'en
03-17-2016, 10:59
I also expect they have to brace up the sign to make it safe for folks to stand on it.

An article I just read said the supports are set well into the rocks so it doesn't blow away. Eventually the legs will rot out and will have to be replaced too, but it's the sign which takes the real beating.

swisscross
03-17-2016, 11:00
Since they kept the distance to Springer Mt on it I can assume that K will remain the northern terminus?

Water Rat
03-17-2016, 11:48
Since they kept the distance to Springer Mt on it I can assume that K will remain the northern terminus?

Katahdin is the northern terminus at the time the sign was made. I don't think anyone can assume it will remain the northern terminus. It just depends on how serious people decide to take the words that have come down from park headquarters.

Sarcasm the elf
03-17-2016, 11:54

This morning I saw a satirically photoshopped copy of the photo above on facebook. It was changed to say "Former Terminus of the Appachian Trail." And the distance to Georgia was removed. :rolleyes:

AlyontheAT2016
03-17-2016, 12:06
This morning I saw a satirically photoshopped copy of the photo above on facebook. It was changed to say "Former Terminus of the Appachian Trail." And the distance to Georgia was removed. :rolleyes:

[emoji13] that's a terrible thing to do

Were Baxter to suddenly close off Katahdin to thru hikers, forcing the northern terminus of the AT elsewhere, I would hope they'd do so between hiking seasons.

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swisscross
03-17-2016, 12:19

Elf,
I don't do facebook, can you attach that photo?

Offshore
03-17-2016, 14:55

Personally, I would have added some drink holders to the sign and placed champagne buckets mounted on sturdy posts placed strategically around the sign. Photoshop big or go home...

Starchild
03-17-2016, 15:30
I am not happy about what has been going on in Baxter SP but I'm glad they still have Katahdin in large letters.

saltysack
03-17-2016, 16:16
Personally, I would have added some drink holders to the sign and placed champagne buckets mounted on sturdy posts placed strategically around the sign. Photoshop big or go home...

Maybe bar stools too...[emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don H
03-18-2016, 07:30
What will they do with the old sign? I know one is in the AT Museum at Pine Grove Furnace SP.

Put it up for auction, I'd bid!

Uncle Joe
03-18-2016, 08:40
I so thought this was going to be a joke with a sign that said, "GO AWAY!"

RockDoc
03-18-2016, 19:28
Signs up there seem to last less than 10 years.
The one I saw in 2007 was replaced before I came back in 2009, and now a new one in 2016.
Somebody keeps busy making new signs for MT K.
Might be less of a problem if people didn't deface it with initials, etc...