PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut hike

Good Karma
03-17-2016, 21:09
I hope I have the right forum. I am planning on going for a 2 day hike to my kids in Connecticut. I have 2 11 year olds. One is in scouts and one is a novice. I am wondering if anyone knows a good easy point A to B for beginners?

gsingjane
03-18-2016, 06:45
A really fun hike and enjoyable for the kids would be to start off on the "river walk" past Macedonia Brook S.P. outside Kent, and hike up to Silver Hill for an overnight, then the next morning either down the hill for a pickup, or re-trace your steps. I have done this exact hike with kids that age and they loved it! There is a swing at Silver Hill, and a pump for them to fool around with and try to get working, and blueberries in season. You can't go wrong!

Jane in CT

moldy
03-18-2016, 07:38
If this is a day hike go from the Iron Bridge at Falls Village to Salisbury. If this is a 2 day hike then go from Salisbury North to Mass highway 41

linus72
03-18-2016, 10:32
I'm with Jane. That was our first overnight too and I was back out there doing some trail work a few weeks ago and loved it just as much. Also another one is Rt 55 lot to Ten Mile River shelter/Campground overnight and back the next day.

tiptoe
03-18-2016, 13:41
There's also the possibility of 2-day loop hikes starting at the Undermountain Trailhead (with parking area) and heading up the Undermountain Trail to Sage's Ravine via the Paradise Lane trail for camping, then south on the AT to summit Bear Mountain. A little south of Bear Mountain, you can return to your car via the Undermountain Trail. Sage's Ravine is gorgeous and cool in the summer, and the kids would experience climbing a mountain with 360-degree views at the top.

Sarcasm the elf
03-18-2016, 20:12
A really fun hike and enjoyable for the kids would be to start off on the "river walk" past Macedonia Brook S.P. outside Kent, and hike up to Silver Hill for an overnight, then the next morning either down the hill for a pickup, or re-trace your steps. I have done this exact hike with kids that age and they loved it! There is a swing at Silver Hill, and a pump for them to fool around with and try to get working, and blueberries in season. You can't go wrong!

Jane in CT

Agreed, the doing the river walk and then heading on to silver hill campsite is an ideal section to introduce kids for the trail for the first time.

coach lou
03-18-2016, 22:43
Agreed, the doing the river walk and then heading on to silver hill campsite is an ideal section to introduce kids for the trail for the first time.

Another vote for Janes route! I did the same with a 9yr old boy, and 13 year old girl.......but, we did that 6 miles in 3 days!!!!!! They had a blast.............at the intersection of 4 & 7, on the east side of the river.....is a grocery/ deli, a good one........they have ice cream!:D

They girl continues to backpack!

....and we met The Elf!

rafe
03-18-2016, 22:54
And you're not going to get better guides in CT than Lou or Elf and that's the fact, Jack.

LIhikers
03-19-2016, 22:01
Jane's suggestion of overnighting at Silver Hill is a good one no matter how you get there.
It's a beautiful place to camp!

Good Karma
03-20-2016, 12:45
Thank you everyone. Great ideas that we will use.

Sarcasm the elf
03-20-2016, 13:25
Another vote for Janes route! I did the same with a 9yr old boy, and 13 year old girl.......but, we did that 6 miles in 3 days!!!!!! They had a blast.............at the intersection of 4 & 7, on the east side of the river.....is a grocery/ deli, a good one........they have ice cream!:D

They girl continues to backpack!

....and we met The Elf!

The one bit of caution I will say to the OP is that there is no way of us being able advise if the six miles to Silver Hill campsite will be too far for the kids to walk. The good news is if you are hiking in northbound you pass by two different campsites while walking along the housatonic. If the kids seem to have had enough walking when you get to these other sites then just setup there instead and then spend some time exploring the riverbank.