PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Solar Eclipse across America

hikehunter
03-18-2016, 00:35
I late summer of 2017 there will be a Total Solar Eclipse. This has not happened on the North Anerican land mass in many years. This will be a great chance to be out on the trail to see something that can be rare.

The path of the eclips will cross the PCT in Oregon, the CDT near YellowStone, and the AT near Standing Indan Camp Grounds.
There are other trails and several major cities that are in the path. I just list the "big three" trails.

Go to the NASA web site and then plan your best hike for the end of summer 2017.

I have already made my reservations at a few places to see this event.

If you ever needed a reason to get out and hike or camp.... here is one of the biggest and best.

This will cross the heart of the country. Many folks will not need to travel far to get a good look.

Depot Bay on the Oregon Coast is the first to see it. It will be very cool to see the shadow comming across the ocean.

Good luck.....Hike Safe & Have Fun (HSHF).:-?:-?:banana:banana:cool::cool::cool:

Traveler
03-18-2016, 06:41
Always good to know when you want to appear as a demigod to the natives!

"Behold shelter dwellers, I shall swallow the sun until you give up your spam"

cmoulder
03-18-2016, 07:02
I saw this a couple of weeks ago and hope to be backpacking in TN (got family there) when it happens. Don't know if I'll pull it off but something to look forward to... Aug 21, 2017 IIRC.

edit to add LINK (http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm)

kjbrown
03-18-2016, 09:21
I planned my thru hike and equipment choices to coinside with this and plan to carry my rebuilt telescope to take some pictures.

colorado_rob
03-18-2016, 10:00
We're going to backpack out to the boonies of Wyoming to witness this fantastic and rare event. We caught a total annular eclipse a few years ago in Utah, fun stuff! Here's my best shot:

DuneElliot
03-18-2016, 17:15
Yup, will be back from the CT by then. It'll be a full eclipse two hours south of me so will probably make the drive and camp out in a remote location near Casper...I know some good places

rocketsocks
03-18-2016, 18:37
Solar eclipses are cool, it's like your wearing sun glasses but you don't have sunglasses on. Saw one in the late 90's as I recall. It was in the afternoon and me and my partner looked at it through our welding hoods. I think it was just a partial eclipse if I remember right.