PDA

View Full Version : Socks

Roamin
03-18-2016, 20:44
Please refer to "RANT Warning: "Look it up...Search" before responding....

I already searched this topic and got 184 pages of results. I looked through some, but now I am just going to ask.

When I hiked in 2005, it was Wool socks with polypropylene liner socks.

Now, the best I can find on here is Merino Wool socks and dress socks from Wally World underneath. True statement or not?

I am hiking Northern VA in early May, should I use light weight or medium socks? Is a length just a matter of preference or does length play a factor? And finally, are there advantages to using Merino wool blend socks?

There was a lot of advice ranging all over the place so I am looking for advice from those who actually been there and done that at the same time looking to do it.

I am trying to outfit four family members for our hike. So I just found Merino Wool socks on sale at Wally World for $3 a pair. I had to get them before they were all gone. So without knowing what type to get, I got them all. Four people X four socks a person = 16 socks x 2 ( one set of medium weight and one light weight) = 32 socks = $96 and then a smathering of Merino Wool Blends. I just spent about $120 on socks. I would like to return those I will not need!

Thanks in advance

Uncle Joe
03-18-2016, 22:30
Darn Tough Socks. They're not cheap but they will replace damaged socks for free. And that means if you take them to an outfitter they will replace them for free. And they're really good socks! I prefer the Darn Tough Vermont Men's Merino Wool Boot Cushion Hiking Socks.

Merino wool is great. I hiked in these in the Winter and my feet stayed very warm even in trail runners. I hike with them most of the time. The thickness for me is just right too. But socks are a personal thing, like most equipment. But if you're looking for a brand and are will to pay some upfront, these are the ones to get. You buy a pair once and you're done!

Mr. Sparky
03-18-2016, 22:50
I cannot attest to the location you are hiking, but let me caution you about blended wool socks from Wally World. In my experience, the amount of cold and claminess is inversely proportional to the amount of wool. Many of those blended socks have cotton. I hike spring through fall with light weight rei merino wool socks with nylon dress sock liners and I love them. I carry three pairs, not four. One one my feet, a spare, and one in a dry bag with my sleeping gear.

Sarcasm the elf
03-18-2016, 23:09
Like Mr. Sparky said, check the tag to see what besides wool is in the socks. I've been disappointed recently to find numerous items advertised as "Merino wool" in large letters on the packaging that actually contain around 10% merino wool, plus cotton and other fibers.

I am a fan of the Costco store brand merino wool blend hiking socks. Darn Tough brand are absolutely great as well, but the costco socks are sold in a three pack for about the same price as one pair of the Darn Tough. Darn Tough do last longer though and they come in a lot more styles, plus Darn Tough are American made.

Personally I haven't used liner socks in years, they never seemed to help much with blisters and just felt uncomfortable. I also switched to trail runners which helped a lot to reduce blisters and make my feet more comfortable. Just my two cents.

Odd Man Out
03-18-2016, 23:56
I like the DT socks with the AT logo. I have another pair much like them but without the logo. Those are the only hiking socks I have. I also have two pairs of dark green DT dress socks. Finally I have a whole drawer full of socks I haven't worn in many years. I should just throw them out.

MuddyWaters
03-19-2016, 02:20
There isnt any magic socks, or combination, and you certainly dont need 4 pr per person.

All you want is something nonabsorbent. Polyester, acrylic, or wool works fine. The thinnest running socks that be found work fine...if footwear fits well.

Tight weave, smoother sock. Allows slippage against shoe

Some hold up better. Not an issue most likely on a section.

Length is personal preference

Agood snug foot fit, without toes being too tight is desireable. You dont want bunching up and wrinkles, or to squeeze toes against each other. Everyone may be different, whats good for one might not be for another.

Some people need liners...usually heavy poor fitting footwear with thick coarse socks to take up room. That make feet hot n sweaty and soften skin.With good breatheable footwear, and good thin socks, liners arent needed.

Good socks will cost $15 -20/ pr

nsherry61
03-19-2016, 03:42
Wool is warmer next to skin when wet. Synthetic is cheaper, dries faster and lasts longer. There is no right answer, just right for you and your's that, frustratingly, you won't have all figured out workout practice. Thin or medium socks work well in lighter shoes. Medium weight socks plus liners tend to work better with heavier shoes or boots.

Traveler
03-19-2016, 05:06
I used to go the rag wool with liner polypropylene sock route for years as well. However I have since moved into Smartwool socks (medium cushion) and find them very comfortable and perform the same level of comfort and protection as the dual pair did. I only need two pair on any given trip. I have tried a number of different sock brands (Wigwam, Darn Tough, store brand, etc.) but find for me, the Smartwool sock is the most comfortable and works best.

If your boots/shoes are too large for single sock wear, you can mimic that by getting a heavy cushion sock.

Busky2
03-19-2016, 07:53
After two seasons WITHOUT A SINGLE BLISTER, Wright Socks are my favorite, IMHO, I have used many others and many combinations but will stick with double layer Wright Socks.

Roamin
03-19-2016, 08:46
Thank you for all of the great advice. I truly appreciate it. As I expected, it seems it will be a trial and error process until we get it figured out. I am hoping to get a couple day trips in before we go so I get it worked out. Again, thank you for the help.

Moosling
03-19-2016, 23:19
I got some wool blend dickies socks from Wally World a couple weeks ago I needed new socks for work I do warehousing and delivery type work, on my feet all day rain shine etc. the have been great so far keep my feet dry in steel toe work boots a lot of arch support as well. $5.00 a pair in a bargain bin I wouldn't hesitate to hike in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roamin
03-20-2016, 08:44
Moosling, thanks for the information. It makes me feel better about the socks. I ended up with three pair per person, and kept one meduum weight pair as a back up. All the others were returned yesterday.

Puddlefish
03-20-2016, 10:17
It will depend on what conditions you hike in. I've gotten years of use out of these cheap things (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009CCRK8C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage), but it was in mostly dry/clean conditions and they were washed after every hike. For the AT, I've switched to the darn tough brand, has a tighter weave, and is less likely to let grit or mud through the fibers.

Roamin
03-20-2016, 12:21
We are going for just a week trip. I am outfitting four of us so I am trying to keep the cost down. If my children decide they want to continue the I sill slowly add better equipment.

HooKooDooKu
03-20-2016, 14:36
There is no one good answer on socks.
I've heard claims that modern wool socks don't need liners, but the classic advice was to use a liner to reduce blisters.

What I've always done is to find a thin CoolMax liner sock. For me, that seems to help wick the moisture off your foot and help move it too the wool sock layer. I used to use thick wool sock of no particular brand, but got tired of how the elastic would blow out on them after relatively little usage.

I've recently started trying the Darn Tough socks. I like how dense the material feels compared to the overly thickness of other wool socks I've used. The big point here is that because socks can vary in qualities like thickness, you need to pick a sock system you want to work with before finalizing a shoe/boot choice. When you go to get sized for footwear, you want to be wearing the socks you expect to wear with the boot/shoes to help find the best fit (also better to go late in the day when you've been on your feet for a while rather than early in the morning).

illabelle
03-20-2016, 15:10
...Finally I have a whole drawer full of socks I haven't worn in many years. I should just throw them out.

I know exactly what you mean. I have several pairs I like, and I wear them over and over. I don't even put them away, just pick them up from a pile by the dryer and wear them again. But that sock drawer that I never look in - it's so full it's hard to close. Kinda sad really.

... and you certainly dont need 4 pr per person...

Oh, but you do! Especially when they come in cool colors. :)

You know those men's socks that are white with the gray heel and toe? I counted no less than 44 pairs in my husband's sock drawer. Then of course he's got hiking socks too. I should count his underwear, probably a similar number. with more than half a dozen that he paid too much for because they're "special" for hiking.

To the OP, if blisters are an issue, I've found that the toe socks by Injinji are very helpful. They are among my favorites that I wear, all the time.

Roamin
03-20-2016, 15:25
Thank you to all of the great advice. It is appreciated greatly. I worry about this hike because its success or failure may determine my chikdrens future hikes. It is my hope they continue.

kayak karl
03-20-2016, 19:02
I settled on these (http://www.backcountry.com/smartwool-trekking-heavy-crew-sock).

Hangfire
03-20-2016, 20:06
A lot of people were really happy with their darn toughs out on the trail. Ninjini used to make a smart wool toe sock which I used as my under sock and kept me blister free. I can't emphasize enough how well the smart wool handled stinky foot odor going 7 days between washes, absolute miracle product in my opinion.

daddytwosticks
03-20-2016, 20:46
After two seasons WITHOUT A SINGLE BLISTER, Wright Socks are my favorite, IMHO, I have used many others and many combinations but will stick with double layer Wright Socks.

I'm currently trying out these sock too. In the past, I've used two pair of thin poly sock liners with great success. My feet sweat excessivly and the thin liners helped in this respect. They also dry our very quickly when wet. :)