PDA

View Full Version : Any short hikers out there?

rafe
03-18-2016, 23:07
I'm often reading posts where folks talk about their size 13 shoes and their enormous height. I never hear from short people. What's up with that? And if there are any among you, I'd like to hear about whether you think that affects your hiking speed or not. I mean seriously, if the AT is five million steps for a typical hiker, it's eight million steps for me.

A buddy of mine captured a photo of me on a recent hike. I was walking in front of him, maybe twenty paces. I look like a freaking hobbit. (5' 5" at last official reading.) I wonder sometimes if I picked the right hobby here.

Smoky Spoon
03-18-2016, 23:34
I am with you on this one....5'2 on a very good day. My spouse is just under six feet....and yes they seem to take a lot less steps than me.
You picked the right hobby, whIle the Giants may be able to take less steps we can maneuver around boulders and under fallen trees better....and in mines or caves....sucks to be tall.

I'm often reading posts where folks talk about their size 13 shoes and their enormous height. I never hear from short people. What's up with that? And if there are any among you, I'd like to hear about whether you think that affects your hiking speed or not. I mean seriously, if the AT is five million steps for a typical hiker, it's eight million steps for me.

A buddy of mine captured a photo of me on a recent hike. I was walking in front of him, maybe twenty paces. I look like a freaking hobbit. (5' 5" at last official reading.) I wonder sometimes if I picked the right hobby here.

Odd Man Out
03-18-2016, 23:52
I have a corgi. His legs are only a few inches long, but he beats me in speed, agility, and endurance. But he can't reach the dog treats on the kitchen counter. We adopted him in January. I hope to take him on some day hikes this summer.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
03-19-2016, 00:00
I am with you. A 5'2 short female. Tall upper body. Short Short legs.

With hiking, I think being short helps on the uphills. You have a lower center gravity or something along those lines.

Puddlefish
03-19-2016, 00:32
I hike with a friend who's 4'10" on a good day. I'm still a bit amazed every time I look back and she's right with me. It's pointless to have her lead because I still catch the spider webs in my face, even when she does lead.

Traveler
03-19-2016, 05:29
I hike a lot with a buddy who's about 5' 5 or so (I am just over 6'). The only real difference I have experienced is the stride differential. Long ago we figured out to hike our own hike in small bits, so we have planned meet up points if one gets too far ahead of the other which is rare. I do find going up hill my stride is about a foot longer than his, putting me at the top of the grade sooner. He is faster going downhill so it tends to balance out.

If we are chased by a bear, all I need to do is maintain that 1' per step advantage.....

Traffic Jam
03-19-2016, 07:25
5' 1/2". Climbing stairs and rocks takes more effort for me than for someone who is taller. It seems steps are always made for people who are 5'5" or taller. If the step or rock is higher than my shin, it's easier to put the trekking poles away and use my hands to push off the ground. That seems to help my center of gravity.

Climbing over blowdowns is also difficult. What is knee high for tall people is waist high for me and usually involves undignified maneuvers to climb on the tree to a seated position, then a hop to get down. On the plus side, being short makes it easier to duck or crawl under blowdowns without taking my pack off. That's probably not a big problem on the AT but the BMT is another story.

Also on the plus side, it's not as far to the ground when I fall. :)

egilbe
03-19-2016, 08:09
My gf is 5'2" and I'm 6'3". We figure it's a 3:5 ratio, me to her, in steps. She's better at ducking under branches. She struggles with water bars :D I can step up on a big rock with one step, she has to plan a route over or around it. She calls me a show off because I turn around and watch her.

But, she scrambled her way up Katahdin and it left me scratching my head several times, at spots, asking her "How did you get up there?"

Sandy of PA
03-19-2016, 08:29
Being short does make me a bit slower. I like to hike solo, it helps. I end up the same distance at the end of the day, I just hike longer. On the other hand, I have custom shortened my sleeping gear to make my pack lighter. My smaller clothes are lighter, but so is the max I can carry!

BonBon
03-19-2016, 08:46
The only places on the trail I thought were harder for short legs like mine were places like Moosilauke- those wooden steps on that northbound rock face descent were brutal! Definitely built for long legged brethren. Big rock climbs are harder to stretch from one hand and foot hold hold to another. As far as speed- most tall people hiked faster than I did, even if they were not fast hikers. That makes sense-longer strides. Like Sandy said- usually you end up in the same places at the end of the day.

DuneElliot
03-19-2016, 09:38
Yup another shorty here. I hike often with a couple of friends, both are really tall with super long legs...I swear I take 3-4 steps to their 2.

The biggest benefits to being small are that I find that I more easily maneuver around obstacles...small gaps, under branches etc. I'm also a scrambler and find climbing much easier. The negatives are being able to carry less weight, but since I'm smaller clothes and sleeping bags weigh less.

English Stu
03-19-2016, 11:16
I am 5'7'' and found Katahdin a good scramble. Going up is not so bad as you can see what is in front, but going down the drop offs are a trial as you are not sure how far you are going before you land. Mostly it is not far- hardly a foot -but you don't know that. I came across an Australian couple; she being smaller than me was having same issues. Of course the thing there is no option you have to go with it.

tiptoe
03-19-2016, 11:50
I'm about 5 ft. 3 in. these days. My pace is pretty much what it always has been (slow), but up north, on the steep ups and downs, it' can be challenging to find handholds I can reach.

gbolt
03-19-2016, 12:53
I tend to be a long hiker vs a shorter hiker! :) Oh, your all talking about foot stride and body height! Lol. Still tend to be a little tall at 6ft but funny thing is that my shoe size is 8 1/2. What I find is that there is a happy medium between the two. Neither is great. Except the mentioned ability to go under blow down's vs over or around. I can only use the long stride (few steps) on Ridge Tops or in the gaps. Going up or down, as the AT is known to do, I take normal to baby steps to insure I stay safe and am under control and balance. Walking sticks also tend to cause more steps to stay in sequence and bounce along the trail. It really is a perception issue.

Mags
03-20-2016, 00:26
I am 5'6" myself..never noticed a difference overall. (only in short sprints vs my taller friends). Going up hill, I actually go faster. BTW, the 5 million steps was calculated for 5'6" hiker! At least that is what I recall reading in Wingfoot's guide. Another 5'6" hiker...

OneDoesNotSimplyWalk
03-20-2016, 03:49
I'm a 5'4"-5'5" guy and I don't think it effects my speed. My stride is shorter, but I'm a stocky little fella x'D

Pedaling Fool
03-20-2016, 07:16
The average height of world class marathon runners are no more than 5'-8"; however, sprinters are more like 6 ft.

Hiking in mountains are more akin to running than walking, that's my opinion.

turtle fast
03-20-2016, 11:52
My wife (Little Bear) is 4'10" on a good day and has several issues with things being designed for the taller average. For example, the metal rungs on steep exposed rock faces (like the Dragons tooth) were too far apart making it harder especially with a pack on. I had to brace myself on several areas and use my hands as a step a few times. As well finding a pack that was not a children's pack was harder along with a sleeping bag where the only option was a child's bag! Not to mention finding outdoor pants that were not obnoxiously too long was almost impossible. So for the smaller statured adult hiker, a lot of children's gear needed to be used and finding quality Childrens gear is harder yet as most seems cheaply made for the camping crowd.

Kaptnsplash
03-20-2016, 20:11
I'm 5'3" and while I don't think I'm a slow hiker, my legs are shorter than my boyfriends (6'1" I believe) and I feel like I'm running to keep up on flatter trails. I can get way ahead of him when we get to rock scrambles or other steeper climbs, but I've been climbing anything and everything my whole life, rocks, trees, greenhouses at work, I've just always loved climbing everything.
Finding gear is my problem lately. While things like packs I don't seem to have too much trouble with, sleeping bags are usually too long, and I have some serious issues with pant leg length.

shelb
03-20-2016, 21:08
5' 1/2". Climbing stairs and rocks takes more effort for me than for someone who is taller. It seems steps are always made for people who are 5'5" or taller. If the step or rock is higher than my shin, it's easier to put the trekking poles away and use my hands to push off the ground. That seems to help my center of gravity.
. :)

As a fellow "shorty," I agree that climbing and descending large steps is where I wish I had the leg length. Otherwise, I don't mind the extra steps!

TwoSpirits
03-20-2016, 21:57
Yep -- 5'5", and starting SOBO going up Katahdin was eye-opening and even more challenging than I anticipated due to some of the climbing up nearer the top. It's one thing climbing up, when adrenaline and excitement help, but coming back down when your legs are feeling like jelly and you're tired...well, those same spots were a little unnerving. Same at other spots further down the trail, when you have to butt-slide over a little ledge with a full pack and you can't quite see where your foot is going to land and if you're going to snap an ankle.... But other than all that, it's lots of fun!

runt13
03-21-2016, 07:36
5'5''...................The call me RUNT, doesn't phase me a bit, kinda used to it, since i been practicing for 48 years.

RUNT ''13''

Pedaling Fool
03-21-2016, 07:43
Average height of Sherpas is about 5' 6".

perrymk
03-21-2016, 07:45
I am 5'6" and have had two different tailors tell me I have proportionately short legs. Torso is average for 5'8", legs average for 5'4". I recall in army basic training walking behind a 6+ footer (estimate; he was noticeably taller than me) and counting steps taken. For every 4 steps I took, he took 3.

The only time my lack of stature really hit me is when I tried online dating. Seems women prefer 5'10" and taller.

sbhikes
03-21-2016, 18:28
I'm average height for a woman on this Earth. I look up at most people and so to me everybody is about the same height. I don't even notice. I don't feel any advantage or disadvantage. I guess the main advantages are that torso pads are nearly full-length, regular sized sleeping bags and tents are always roomy I don't bump my head as much as taller people.

plodalong
03-21-2016, 18:53
My wife is 5 ft tall and she did have trouble finding a pack that was right for her. We were lucky to be in Maine one day and the great folks at Hyperlite Mountain Gear let us drop in to their factory and she was fitted with a pack that fits her perfectly. It made a tremendous difference in her ability to not only carry more weight with less effort and helped her balance as well. Like others have mentioned she has mastered the 'butt slide' style (which came in real handy one morning coming off Mt Kinsman in a monsoon) but makes for a rather comical stain on her shorts for the rest of the trip. She does enjoy letting me take the lead on those mornings when the branches are low with snow, ice or soaked and I keep ducking and getting my face slapped or find myself spittin out cobwebs!

rocketsocks
03-21-2016, 20:17
I been lyin' on my lic. for years, I'm really 5'-6 3/4" but there wasn't a spot for that.

Smoky Spoon
03-22-2016, 15:09
What part of NJ are you from? Always thought you were from Maine.....

I been lyin' on my lic. for years, I'm really 5'-6 3/4" but there wasn't a spot for that.

Smoky Spoon
03-22-2016, 15:11
Sorry, I meant Massachusetts. ....darn tablet and autocorrect....

What part of NJ are you from? Always thought you were from Maine.....

betsi
03-22-2016, 16:04
I'm 5'4" and BigFish is 6'2". We've also estimated a 5:3 ratio on our steps. However, in rocky stretches, my 8.5-size feet can usually step between the rocks and his 14s have to step on them or around. The last 50 miles of PA on the AT into Delaware Water Gap were somewhat zen for me as I just looked for the spaces in between the rocks. Him, not so much.

Pedaling Fool
03-28-2016, 06:15
http://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2016/03/28/why_short_men_come_up_short_109581.html

handlebar
03-28-2016, 11:48
Rafe, I don't think height makes any difference. I just completed the FL Trail. For the most part, I hiked with a fellow about 5'6" at my best guess, noticeably shorter than my 6'. I found that on level stretches I was falling behind. He more than made up for his shorter strides by a faster pace taking about seven steps to my 4 or 5. I just couldn't speed up my pace without shortening my stride a lot; and try as I might, I found myself falling behind, though we stopped for 5 minute hourly breaks and I made up the 50-100 yard shortfall. I finally just "hiked my own hike" and we met up at breaks and did trail chatter as we hiked out from the breaks until I was out-distanced. (Of course, my hiking buddy was 33 years younger and that might have something to do with it.) Here are some advantages: 1) you can use a more compact shelter; 2) you will get more cushioning from a short sleeping pad; 3) you may be able to use a shorter lighter sleeping bag and a smaller lighter pack.

rafe
03-28-2016, 12:01
For the record, I do believe there might be a few minor advantages to being short, as others have cited. But considering just the speed issue, I don't see how it can help, relative to someone of similar fitness level, body mass index, etc. but with longer legs. One possible advantage is lower center of gravity and being more "compact" overall, which might reduce chances of injury.

On those occasions where I do hike with a partner, I find that I'm marginally faster or hold my own on long uphills, but usually fall behind on long downhills. And I think that's because a long stride isn't all that useful on uphills.

Another Kevin
03-28-2016, 17:44
For the record, I do believe there might be a few minor advantages to being short, as others have cited. But considering just the speed issue, I don't see how it can help, relative to someone of similar fitness level, body mass index, etc. but with longer legs. One possible advantage is lower center of gravity and being more "compact" overall, which might reduce chances of injury.

On those occasions where I do hike with a partner, I find that I'm marginally faster or hold my own on long uphills, but usually fall behind on long downhills. And I think that's because a long stride isn't all that useful on uphills.

As a tallish hiker, I can only comment that I'm passed by shorter ones all the time! (I'm anything but fast.) I think that the "vertically challenged" might be at a disadvantage on some of the tougher rock scrambles, aside from that it's pretty much a wash.

rocketsocks
03-28-2016, 17:51
What part of NJ are you from? Always thought you were from Maine.....Right smack in the middle but closer to the river.