PDA

View Full Version : A.T thru worried about pack

Aaron l
03-19-2016, 09:06
Hello community! My name is rusty bridges and I am currently at Fontana damn on my thru hike attempt. Well after finally getting a hang of my food and gear i am starting to realize that I may need a beefier pack. I don't have much money but will be willing to trade a granite gear leopard and maybe a big Agnes fish hook 1 for a beefier pack. Let me know if your interested in the comments below.

DuneElliot
03-19-2016, 09:34
Not a trade, but which Leopard do you own? What are you finding is the problem?

Aaron l
03-19-2016, 10:24
leopard vc 46, pack not comfy with my resupply weight of food I've found I MUST carry

DuneElliot
03-19-2016, 10:35
If you're on a budget and can't find a trade, I've heard really good things about SMD Fusion 50 for heavier carries. They have last year's model on sale for $100:

http://sixmoondesigns.com/packs/F50-CU.html

It really might be worth spending a little bit of money for the right pack rather than hoping for a trade. SMD also ships really quickly so you could order and have the pack waiting for you in the next town.

yaduck9
03-19-2016, 12:07
Hello community! My name is rusty bridges and I am currently at Fontana damn on my thru hike attempt. Well after finally getting a hang of my food and gear i am starting to realize that I may need a beefier pack. I don't have much money but will be willing to trade a granite gear leopard and maybe a big Agnes fish hook 1 for a beefier pack. Let me know if your interested in the comments below.

I don't have anything to trade, but............did you purchase the two items through REI ( just a guess ) ?

If you did, and the items were purchased less than 12 months ago, you can return or work out an exchange. REI is pretty good about that, let them know what your situation is.

Hope that helps.

Good Luck.

Secondmouse
03-19-2016, 15:33
it would be helpful to know what kind of pack you are looking for? brand, size, weight?..

Aaron l
03-19-2016, 15:48
That's so funny you mention that because I've been eyeing that pack but wasn't sure if the 50 L was a significant increase compared to my leopard. I'm having to keep more and more on the outside of the pack as my food intake has increased.

Aaron l
03-19-2016, 15:51
I bought the bag from Sierra trading post which claims a 6 month return policy but there is a lot of fine print and really wasn't sure if they'd take it back

DuneElliot
03-19-2016, 16:56
That's so funny you mention that because I've been eyeing that pack but wasn't sure if the 50 L was a significant increase compared to my leopard. I'm having to keep more and more on the outside of the pack as my food intake has increased.

It may not be a significant increase in volume but the Fusion's suspension and carry system has been designed to carry some weight at around the 40-45# mark

How much is your base weight? Are there non-necessities that you can lose to help your carry weight?

Aaron l
03-19-2016, 17:42
Im not sure, 20 maybe less, my stuff has been honed since amicalola, if I shaved more it would cut into my comfort which I've found to be very important in maintaining mental stamina

Aaron l
03-19-2016, 17:48
On e my cold gear is gone though that weight will be significantly lower, I'm a skinny guy and I can't seem to shake the snow, haha, I'm leaving the dam tomorrow and they're predicting snow again

turtle fast
03-19-2016, 20:09
It may just make sense to keep it for now. Once you get rid of your cold weather gear and further hone down your gear your load will lighten up and you won't need as much internal space. Will ultimately cost you nothing, but be a packing pain until then.

Secondmouse
03-21-2016, 16:49
this thread got me looking at the SMD Fusion 50 that is on closeout for $100.

a lot of the comments are that these older version packs are considerably undersized to their rating and the exterior pockets are pretty small and useless. they do carry heavy weights, though, so if you're regularly hauling more than 20lbs, this could be an option.

the new version of these packs have these shortcomings fixed but are heavier and more than twice as expensive...

egilbe
03-21-2016, 17:53
If you're on a budget and can't find a trade, I've heard really good things about SMD Fusion 50 for heavier carries. They have last year's model on sale for $100:

It really might be worth spending a little bit of money for the right pack rather than hoping for a trade. SMD also ships really quickly so you could order and have the pack waiting for you in the next town.

It may not be a significant increase in volume but the Fusion's suspension and carry system has been designed to carry some weight at around the 40-45# mark

How much is your base weight? Are there non-necessities that you can lose to help your carry weight?

this thread got me looking at the SMD Fusion 50 that is on closeout for $100.

a lot of the comments are that these older version packs are considerably undersized to their rating and the exterior pockets are pretty small and useless. they do carry heavy weights, though, so if you're regularly hauling more than 20lbs, this could be an option.

the new version of these packs have these shortcomings fixed but are heavier and more than twice as expensive...

Last years model is a 40 liter pack. Part of the reason the new fusion 50 is heavier is because it's actually a 50 liter pack. If you need more room, the fusion 65 is a 50 liter pack.

i see they no longer have the old model fusion 65. Shame.

DuneElliot
03-22-2016, 09:21
Last years model is a 40 liter pack. Part of the reason the new fusion 50 is heavier is because it's actually a 50 liter pack. If you need more room, the fusion 65 is a 50 liter pack.

i see they no longer have the old model fusion 65. Shame.

So when they list the Fusion 50 specs as being 50 liters are they, or I, wrong?

Nuggz
03-22-2016, 11:31
I dont have anything to trade you, but I understand where you are coming from. I'm a skinny guy too and carried a ULA circuit on my thru hike. My base weight in the summer was around 15, but as I eventually had to start carrying sooooo much food. I'd sometimes come out of town with 20-25lbs for 5 days. The circuit became extremely uncomfortable.

egilbe
03-22-2016, 14:55
So when they list the Fusion 50 specs as being 50 liters are they, or I, wrong?

They are wrong. They admitted as much in a blog post when they announced the new version. Being the owner of the old fusion 50 and 65, I can say without a doubt, the fusion 50 is a 40 liter bag. That said, I can fit 5 days of gear and water in mine, but my stuff was purchased with light weight in mind.

MuddyWaters
03-22-2016, 15:01
You cant compare sizes well between mfgs based on specs anyway. GG has the stretch side pockets which to me are useless. Dont know if they count the bag or all pockets. SMD counts all pockets.

The main bag wo the extension collar is only said to be 37L, 2300 cuin, on both fusion 50 models. I think they made ext collar and pockets bigger on new one, added 5L on the spec sheet calling it 55

Secondmouse
03-22-2016, 16:31
The main bag wo the extension collar is only said to be 37L, 2300 cuin, on both fusion 50 models. I think they made ext collar and pockets bigger on new one, added 5L on the spec sheet calling it 55

yes, that's what's troubling. the extension collar is what is rolled down to close the bag, no? so how much of that increased volume can be used?..

the pockets are 150 c.i. larger, and that was needed, but the new pack is 13oz heavier and $130 more than the closeout model and I am having a hard time justifying this over the old version.

my only question is how satisfactorily can a 40L serve for someone who needs 4-5days of supplies?..

MuddyWaters
03-22-2016, 17:17
yes, that's what's troubling. the extension collar is what is rolled down to close the bag, no? so how much of that increased volume can be used?..

the pockets are 150 c.i. larger, and that was needed, but the new pack is 13oz heavier and $130 more than the closeout model and I am having a hard time justifying this over the old version.

my only question is how satisfactorily can a 40L serve for someone who needs 4-5days of supplies?..

Depends on other gear. Summer or winter, etc. Most of yr I could do fine with it. Main body on my pack is 39L total including roll up length. I can get 10 days in summer. When I add the fleece, winter bag, etc, I lose a lot of space.

egilbe
03-22-2016, 18:16
Depends on other gear. Summer or winter, etc. Most of yr I could do fine with it. Main body on my pack is 39L total including roll up length. I can get 10 days in summer. When I add the fleece, winter bag, etc, I lose a lot of space.

^^^

I can get five days worth of food in mine, but I don't carry a lot of junk. In the Winter, it becomes a day hike pack. My gripes about the fusion 50 is that water bottles will fall out of the side pockets and the back pocket is so small as to almost useless. Other than that, it's a good pack for $100. I'm happy with it.

Venchka
03-22-2016, 18:45
This thread, and others, reinforces my reluctance to replace either of my ancient backpacks.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

egilbe
03-22-2016, 19:23
This thread, and others, reinforces my reluctance to replace either of my ancient backpacks.

Wayne

Oh, I have lots of backpacks. If you have a pack that fits you and your needs, no reason to replace it, unless it's worn out or you want to. I have packs for week long winter trips, winter weekends, three season weekends and week long trips. There's some overlap of the packs I like, and a couple that I don't like and one that I hate, that my kids don't mind using. They all, mostly, get used.

Venchka
03-22-2016, 20:29
I only have 2. The biggest of the 2 weighs 6 pounds 12 ounces. About 3.75 pounds of good reasons to find a replacement. I'm still looking, but I'm in no hurry.
I've lost faith in the specifications of current packs.

Wayne

egilbe
03-22-2016, 21:58
Try Seek Outside's Unaweep. I think the current iteration is ~ 3 pounds

Venchka
03-23-2016, 05:20
Try Seek Outside's Unaweep. I think the current iteration is ~ 3 pounds

I'll be in Colorado later this year. Time permitting, I will visit them and try their packs. I'll have all my gear with me and can get a good test drive.

Wayne

Slo-go'en
03-23-2016, 10:23
SO, did the OP get a new pack or what?

Puddlefish
03-23-2016, 10:26
SO, did the OP get a new pack or what?

On a thru attempt, I imagine we'll have to wait til he has time and connectivity.

Secondmouse
03-24-2016, 11:45
^^^

I can get five days worth of food in mine, but I don't carry a lot of junk. In the Winter, it becomes a day hike pack. My gripes about the fusion 50 is that water bottles will fall out of the side pockets and the back pocket is so small as to almost useless. Other than that, it's a good pack for $100. I'm happy with it.

what bottles do you use? I realize this 36oz pack is aimed at UL but I find the Nalgene Oasis bottles shaped like an army canteen work really well in small pockets providing they are wide enough for their kidney bean shape.

admittedly they're 2.75oz heavier than a 32oz Gatorade bottle but if I can make this pack work, I hope I would be able to make up the weight somewhere else...

Aaron l
03-29-2016, 16:49
Ok sorry you all, not much signal coverage recently, and thank you all for the offers and suggestions! I'm currently just past standing bear farm at a cool little campsite. Everything worked out in the end though, stuck with the pack ( which performed very well for the weight I carried) to tell you the truth I think it was just pre smokies jitters. Again thank you all for the advice! Enjoy your hikes!

egilbe
03-29-2016, 17:41
what bottles do you use? I realize this 36oz pack is aimed at UL but I find the Nalgene Oasis bottles shaped like an army canteen work really well in small pockets providing they are wide enough for their kidney bean shape.

admittedly they're 2.75oz heavier than a 32oz Gatorade bottle but if I can make this pack work, I hope I would be able to make up the weight somewhere else...

Anything from 20ox soda bottles to 32oz Gatorade bottles. I now use bottles that I can use a carabiner to clip to the pack's compression straps. Saves getting 5 miles down the trail and finding out one off my water bottles popped out of the pockets. It's happened. Annoying, to say the least.

Aaron l
04-03-2016, 23:29
No one here on trail actually reads this site, because of the silly arguments, I'm starting to realize how true that is, my post has been swollwed by couch thrus

turtle fast
04-05-2016, 00:00
In anything you have to sort out the advice given, but I woulden't discount WB. If something happens on the trail of importance like in years past notifications of Noro virus outbreaks on a AT trail section, or an area is experiencing a theft problem, or a business you were trusting to be there closes... Or a new one opens.... You find out faster than anywhere else.
Yes you get banter, opinions, and shenanigans but Mixed in is good advice. If anything, your more prepared than the others who don't know WB exists. If you look at many online here you have true trail sages who's hiked the AT a few times, triple crowners, outdoor business manufacturers, hostel/ trail service owners, etc. It's why it's the Premeir site for the AT enthusiast. :)

capehiker
04-05-2016, 00:08
No one here on trail actually reads this site, because of the silly arguments, I'm starting to realize how true that is, my post has been swollwed by couch thrus

Let me see if I have this right. You begin a thru hike without the proper knowledge of your gear, then come on here asking for suggestions. Suggestions were made and in post #30, you give thanks for the advice. Now...out of the blue you are bashing the people who tried to help you out? C'mon bro.

Don H
04-05-2016, 08:25

Silly arguments, it's the internet what do you expect?

And along side the couch hikers are people who have thousands of AT miles under their belt who offer FREE advice. You just need to figure out who are the real hikers. Their are people who run AT hiking clinics that charge for this information, or you could do your own research. But it sure is easier to come here and ask a question, isn't it?

MuddyWaters
04-05-2016, 12:43

I really, really hope people on trail have better things to do than read here. It has never crossed my mind while im on trail to read a forum or browse internet, or facebook etc.

A few have posted with issues when on trail and in a bind and received help. Needed ride, lost food to bear, etc.