PDA

View Full Version : Getting off trail and back on

ishmael1776
03-19-2016, 22:23
What are the easiest places to get off and back on the at? I need to deal with some issues at home but they don't require me to end my hile. Any suggestions?

jj2044
03-19-2016, 22:41
well I good starting point would be to tell us where you are......

offpher
03-19-2016, 22:58
When you are on the trail.Take two side steps to the right.... You are now off trail.. Now take two side steps to the left... You are back on the trail... With out knowing where you will be hiking that is the best answer I can give at this time.............................................. ........

dudeijuststarted
03-19-2016, 23:20
Kind of need more information on where you are and where you're going.

Traveler
03-20-2016, 06:36
Easiest place to get off the trail is the first opportunity at a road crossing or access trail to a trail head parking area. I would say look on your map, but I would run afoul of those who claim such answers destroy self esteem and will likely drive you not only off the trail but into a life of squalor and crime.

LIhikers
03-20-2016, 08:30
And this my friends shows why carrying a map can be important.
You might not need it to follow the trail but it would show you where to get off and back on.
And a compass of some sort might not be a bad idea either. You might have one of those in your smart phone already.

Sarcasm the elf
03-20-2016, 08:38
What are the easiest places to get off and back on the at? I need to deal with some issues at home but they don't require me to end my hile. Any suggestions?

I'm not certain I understand your question. Are you asking for trailhead locations that are easily accessible? If so, approximately where will you be when you need to leave the trail? How do you plan to get to and from the trail, do you plan to get picked up by somebody, hire a shuttle, or do you need a location that has accessible public transit?

map man
03-20-2016, 08:50
The trail passes right by Roanoke VA which has an airport. When you pass near Linden VA you are near an exit for Interstate 66 which takes you straight to Washington DC, which has airports with cheaper flights. Harpers Ferry has an Amtrack connection to DC as well. When you get to NY22 you will pass right by a train station which you can use to get to NYC which has airports with cheaper flights.

And since you live in Columbia PA just about any PA road crossing in the southern-most 100 trail miles in PA would also be convenient (particularly at Caledonia State Park when you cross US 30).

Puddlefish
03-20-2016, 10:10
I have to get off the trail myself, on May 15th for a week. About all I can do is kind of sort of estimate my daily mileage and figure out where I might end up. For me, it works out to probably Hot Springs. So, I checked out several shuttle options that can take me to the Asheville airport.
A lot of it is just going to have to be decided on the fly. I could be off in either direction by a 100 miles.

ishmael1776
03-21-2016, 15:58
I'm in Gatlinburg. It looks like i can get a rental car not far from Standing Bear Farm which will work well for me financially and will be very convenient.

Thanks for all the advice.

displacedbeatnik
03-21-2016, 16:03
The Thru-Hikers Companion does a really good job of letting you know which towns have public transportation available from them. From what I have seen, New Jersey, New York, and Massachusetts are pretty good as far as buses back to large cities with airports.

twistwrist
03-24-2016, 10:26
This link may help. It's a list of major resupply locations including phone numbers and nobo mile markers.

http://appalachiantrailclarity.com/2016/03/15/appalachian-trail-thru-hiker-resupply-points/