PDA

View Full Version : A real world chef....looking for help with breakfast

Platypus2016
03-20-2016, 04:15
Hello all

I'll try to keep this short, but I am a classically trained chef when I'm in the real world...and I'm beginning to think that I'm useless while on the trail.......

I would pay someone if anyone who has the dehydrater knowledge and the equipment to figure out how to make a dehydrated version of my daily breakfast....and it goes a little something like this.....:

I use Greek gods yogurt (either vanilla honey, or just straight honey flavored)
Fiber one cereal (the "buds" type)
A yummy granola
And a little extra coconut milk...

So I know the yogurt powder is available, but have also heard that it was hard to get it to work..

IF ANYONE CAN FIGURE out how to make something like what I mentioned above, I would gladly pay you for your time and effort. I would seriously eat onenofnthese every day I could on the trail.

I don't have access to the equipment or the understanding that itt takes to figure this out. but if anyone else would be willing to help, or already knows where I can buy something like this at, in would finally have everything I'm taking on the trail.

Thanks in advance
Platypus

Cheyou
03-20-2016, 08:25
make yogurt from Nido whole milk.

Cheyou
03-20-2016, 08:31
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Elliehmltn/view/really-easy-homemade-yogurt-547641

Cheyou
03-20-2016, 09:19
https://backpackerrecipes.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/fresh-yogurt-on-the-trail-—-is-it-really-possible/

Hikes in Rain
03-20-2016, 09:25
You can also dehydrate yogurt. It gets brittle, but it also holds its color and rehydrates well.

wannahike
03-20-2016, 09:27
You can dehydrate the yogurt in thin circles or sheets and then put the dried yogurt in freezer bag, if it is very thin double bag so the edges don't poke little holes. I use 1lb coffee can lids for molds. Add water in the morning to re-hydrate the yogurt and the dried coconut milk then add in the cereals and mix.
I just use museli and instant dried coconut milk, can have it hot or cold and it's easier in the morning.
I do want to experiment with making fresh yogurt on the trail sometime.

In the baby food aisle you might find the Gerber yogurt melts to re-hyrate. Have not tried them and they do have added sugar but sounds easy enough.
You can also get dehydrated coconut milk, get the instant kind it dissolves easier.

Viper2016
03-20-2016, 23:19
+1 on dehydrating yogurt. Your choice on temperature. If you have variable temperature seeing, 135 F for 6 hours seems to work best for me; 115 F will keep cultures alive (allegedly) but takes longer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Viper2016
03-20-2016, 23:22
OBTW, coconut milk must dehydrate as well, I have a recipe that uses it. I hope it works as I cooked the recipe and dehydrated 10 servings of the dish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk