PDA

View Full Version : Any AT section suggestions for a 6 year old?

turtle fast
03-20-2016, 12:10
I was looking to hike a week long or so section of the AT this summer with my 6 year old and wanted to throw it out there for suggestions.

Roamin
03-20-2016, 12:27
I only have two section hike under by pack - Maryland and Georgia. I found Maryland to be very easy. If I were to take my young child out, it would be there without a doubt. Others with more experience may have different suggestion. I wish you the best of you hike.

Leanthree
03-20-2016, 12:43
It can get pretty hot in summer down south and NH is a bit hard with ME not having enough bail points IMO for anyone's first hike.

First couple thoughts that pop into mind is to hike from Salisbury, CT north until you get to a point you are done. The trail parallels US 7 more or lesss which has many good size and interesting towns along the way so there is flexibility for town breaks and for where you end the trip so there is mileage flexibility. The trail is reasonably interesting in this stretch with the first day sort of having it all with mountains and ravines and intersting views.

Southern Vermont is my favorite. Beautiful and remote without being too difficult. There are plenty of climbs but they are mostly well graded.

If you wanted an accomplishment sort of trip, you could try to hike all of CT. CT is less remote but has some interesting bridges and a river walk and goes by a couple more industrial spots so it could have that 6-year-old appeal even if it isn't the best the AT has to offer more generally.

rafe
03-20-2016, 13:35
Maryland, anywhere south of, say, MD 17. The tow path just north or Harpers Ferry.

Jack Tarlin
03-20-2016, 13:37
I'd look at Shenandoah National Park. The hiking is easy to moderate; you can tent camp or car camp; there are all sorts of campgrounds and camp stores so treats like ice cream and milk shakes are easy to come by; best of all, you'll see a ton of wildlife, i.e. more deer than you can count and probably, some bears.

TheCheek
03-20-2016, 13:40
Shenandoah because it's easy, bailout points all over the place, and a decent chance you'll see a bear which would be really memorable for both of you. I forgot to mention milkshakes at some of the rest stops. :)

rafe
03-20-2016, 13:44
Shenandoah because it's easy, bailout points all over the place, and a decent chance you'll see a bear which would be really memorable for both of you. I forgot to mention milkshakes at some of the rest stops. :)

Yep, this also. SNP gives great views with minimal effort, and like you say -- very easy access and occasional roadside attractions.

HooKooDooKu
03-20-2016, 14:24
While I've never hiked Shenandoah, if you are set on hiking a part of the AT this summer, that's an area I too would recommend because of the elevations (to try to make things a little cooler), and if you have to bail out early, you can take a trip to Washington D.C. (or you just might want to plan some of that anyway since you'll be so close).

Otherwise, unless your 6yo is already an experienced backpacker, I would instead recommend a few long weekend trips closer to home before embarking on a week long trip... or make is a shorter trip some place super special like the Grand Canyon (but because of the extreme summer time temperatures of GC, that's a hike better saved for Spring Break).

illabelle
03-20-2016, 14:47
There's also Grayson Highlands in SW Virginia. They've got wild ponies that are tame enough to pet, so easily a hit with kids of any age.

BillyGr
03-20-2016, 16:02
It can get pretty hot in summer down south and NH is a bit hard with ME not having enough bail points IMO for anyone's first hike.

First couple thoughts that pop into mind is to hike from Salisbury, CT north until you get to a point you are done. The trail parallels US 7 more or lesss which has many good size and interesting towns along the way so there is flexibility for town breaks and for where you end the trip so there is mileage flexibility. The trail is reasonably interesting in this stretch with the first day sort of having it all with mountains and ravines and intersting views.

Southern Vermont is my favorite. Beautiful and remote without being too difficult. There are plenty of climbs but they are mostly well graded.

If you wanted an accomplishment sort of trip, you could try to hike all of CT. CT is less remote but has some interesting bridges and a river walk and goes by a couple more industrial spots so it could have that 6-year-old appeal even if it isn't the best the AT has to offer more generally.

If you are starting with someone who hasn't done much (or any) hiking, there is also the option to start with the CT section a bit further south where the trail parallels the Housatonic. That is about as easy a trail as you can find on the AT with the option to either head north (with a campsite which is uphill but not far) or continue a bit further for a first day out. It also gives you the opportunity (if you start at the southern end) to go the opposite way for a short distance to give the child a look at the more difficult parts of the trail (climbing up the ledges) just to show that not all the trail will be as easy as this first hike is :)

Odd Man Out
03-20-2016, 20:58
My first AT hike was a weekend outing in MD near Washington Monument St Park when I was about 8 YO. MD has been suggested by others as relatively easy and accessible (and it worked for me). However, I wonder if a week is maybe a bit long of a trip for first time hike for a 6 YO. You can't count on too many MPD at that age and I believe that in MD you are restricted to staying at or by the shelters, limiting your camping options. Another advantage of a shorter trip is you could pick a few days where you are confident you won't have weather problems. The longer the hike, the harder it would be to avoid bad weather.

saltysack
03-20-2016, 21:01
There's also Grayson Highlands in SW Virginia. They've got wild ponies that are tame enough to pet, so easily a hit with kids of any age.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shelb
03-20-2016, 21:12
I took my (then) 9 and 11 year old sons backpacking for a week - started at Harpers Ferry and ended at PennMar. It was really cool for them to be able to say they "hiked across the state of Maryland!"

This is a great section with all the historical areas! I highly recommend it for a first hike!

turtle fast
03-21-2016, 23:06
Great suggestions so far!
My little guy has some trail miles under his belt as we had a local trail system nearby. The rule of thumb is a mile per year of age. We plan on hiking from shelter to shelter at a leisurely pace. To him this is a big adventure and he sees it with a sense of wonder.

turtle fast
03-21-2016, 23:20
I failed to mention that he's hiked sections of the IAT (Ice Age Trail), numerous smaller trail systems, and at 6 months old was at Trail Days looking amazingly at the waterbaloon that landed in front of his stroller from the hiker parade.

Mr. Bumpy
03-21-2016, 23:24
Grayson Highlands area. Start at Beartree Campground for secure parking for a couple of dollars a day. Make a 50 mile loop using the Iron Mt. Trail (old AT) and cross over to the highlands on the AT and return to Beartree. There is a lake and showers at Beartree. Several opportunities to get into a stream during the week. A chance to go into the state park and get an ice-cream or treat, and there are several bail out points where if you take the phone numbers of a couple of outfitters in Damascus they will send you a shuttle. And then there is Damascus and the Va Creeper trail. This is what I first did when my son was 7. We will be doing it this summer for the 4th time. For us it is impossible to get tired of doing.

illabelle
03-22-2016, 05:59
Great suggestions so far!
My little guy has some trail miles under his belt as we had a local trail system nearby. The rule of thumb is a mile per year of age. We plan on hiking from shelter to shelter at a leisurely pace. To him this is a big adventure and he sees it with a sense of wonder.

I don't think I could keep up with that pace!!! ;)

BillyGr
03-22-2016, 21:16
I don't think I could keep up with that pace!!! ;)

I suspect that rule only works with those still eligible to be in a public K-12 type school :)