PDA

View Full Version : GSI Outdoors infinity backpacking mug

SkeeterPee
03-20-2016, 22:53
I have been considering this mug.

https://www.rei.com/product/884337/gsi-outdoors-infinity-backpacker-mug?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8843370002&CAWELAID=120217890000757616&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

I like that it is lightweight and insulated. Would it have a good enough seal to fill it, and put it in your backpack pocket for a break an hour or two later? Looking for real world experience.

If not can someone suggest a lightweight thermos?

Thanks.

nsherry61
03-20-2016, 23:01
I love my GSI Infinity mug for all the reasons you suggest. Yes, the seals are water tight and solid. I wouldn't put it full inside my pack for obvious reasons, but unless you deform it, the seals are water tight. And, it's so cheap, it's not really even worth the time to talk about it on WB. Just buy one and have fun with it. Great size. Great design.

Water Rat
03-20-2016, 23:14
The Infinity mug is a pretty awesome mug. I have one, but most likely would not fill it and put it in a backpack pocket. It could probably be done...Just not my style. I like to keep my pack as clean as possible.

I don't carry my Infinity mug backpacking, but not because of weight issues. I already have my SnowPeak mug for coffee for most seasons of backpacking. However, I would absolutely add the Infinity Mug to my winter backpacking kit.

shakey_snake
03-21-2016, 00:42
Pretty much my only "luxury item" anymore are that and the GSI Java Drip.

shakey_snake
03-21-2016, 00:48
The lid is tight fitting, but it's a friction seal, not threaded, so it's not going to put up with being jostled around while full.
I trust that it can keep my headlamp waterproof in a storm, but I wouldn't trust it to carry liquids while in my pack.

And while it's insulated, it's not at all like a vacuum insulated travel mug. It's more like "The coffee won't be cold by the end of it" insulated, not "keep your soup warm until lunch at the worksite" insulated.

DeepSeaSkyDiver
03-21-2016, 06:29
I love my GSI mug, but be careful with hot liquids. The heat causes pressure inside the mug to increase and can cause the drink hole lid to pop off. This has never happened to me while sitting around drinking my coffee, but it has happened while I was walking with it. Again, only with hot liquids. Great Mug!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egilbe
03-21-2016, 08:53
I love my GSI mug, but be careful with hot liquids. The heat causes pressure inside the mug to increase and can cause the drink hole lid to pop off. This has never happened to me while sitting around drinking my coffee, but it has happened while I was walking with it. Again, only with hot liquids. Great Mug!!

The GF and I bought ours at LLBean. First time we made hot chocolate in them, I shook mine to mix the cocoa powder and the top popped off. Fortunately, I was holding the cover down with my hand, so only the pressure released. I told my girlfriend not to shake her cup, so she swirled it around, instead. The cover popped off, spewing hot cocoa everywhere.

"I told you not to shake it"
"I didn't shake it. I swirled it"

i never knew she was so literal.

SkeeterPee
03-21-2016, 14:40
So given the above about popping open, it does not sound like it would be good for putting in a backpack pocket. I may still get one for around camp. I need a second cup if my son hikes with me. But for carrying hot liquids, it would seem I need something more leak proof. Maybe a Contigo stainless 16 oz mug. about 14 oz empty though so I perhaps could off set that with one less water bottle and use a 1 liter and a 16 oz mug for water. my daughter has contigo mugs so I may try some hot coffee shaking it about to see if leaks.

saltysack
03-21-2016, 21:05
So given the above about popping open, it does not sound like it would be good for putting in a backpack pocket. I may still get one for around camp. I need a second cup if my son hikes with me. But for carrying hot liquids, it would seem I need something more leak proof. Maybe a Contigo stainless 16 oz mug. about 14 oz empty though so I perhaps could off set that with one less water bottle and use a 1 liter and a 16 oz mug for water. my daughter has contigo mugs so I may try some hot coffee shaking it about to see if leaks.

While I'm not likely to carry it hiking.......the 32oz hydro flask is awesome at keeping coffee hot/warm for many hours...weighs about 14 oz...basically a insulated Nalgene...u could just make a cozy for your Nalgene if u carry one...

SkeeterPee
03-21-2016, 22:53
While I'm not likely to carry it hiking.......the 32oz hydro flask is awesome at keeping coffee hot/warm for many hours...weighs about 14 oz...basically a insulated Nalgene...u could just make a cozy for your Nalgene if u carry one...

Interesting. I did not think of using a Nalgene bottle for coffee. I have been carrying one because it makes measuring out water for cooking easy, but it is hard to get in/out of my pack pockets. Basically have to take off pack. So I carry a thinner smart water bottle that is easier to get in/out of a pocket. if I bought a mug, I would just mark up the smart water bottle with some oz measures and take it and the mug and leave the Nalgene bottle at home.

GreenBlaze
03-21-2016, 22:59
I have the mug too. I've read stories about the cup falling out of the sleeve while hanging off a pack. I put a tiny piece of 3M Dual Lock on it and have never had an issue.

saltysack
03-21-2016, 23:00
Interesting. I did not think of using a Nalgene bottle for coffee. I have been carrying one because it makes measuring out water for cooking easy, but it is hard to get in/out of my pack pockets. Basically have to take off pack. So I carry a thinner smart water bottle that is easier to get in/out of a pocket. if I bought a mug, I would just mark up the smart water bottle with some oz measures and take it and the mug and leave the Nalgene bottle at home.

Yep I only carry a Nalgene if it's due to be well below freezing so can boil water to heat my bag...normally just carry thin SW bottles also..just recently before a 65 mile day of sup paddling, I boiled water for coffee at 6am and was still very warm that evening over 13 hours later...expensive but an awesome thermos....