PDA

View Full Version : Where's Winton Porter these days?

saltysack
03-21-2016, 13:40
Just ran across his book in my Kindle "Just Passin Thru" and wondered where he ended up after selling the store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4eyedbuzzard
03-21-2016, 17:08
https://www.linkedin.com/in/winton-porter-98408961

saltysack
03-21-2016, 17:29
https://www.linkedin.com/in/winton-porter-98408961

Thx....I'm behind the times....

saltysack
03-21-2016, 17:30
I haven't been to mountain crossings in several years. How's the store and its new owners??

Jack Tarlin
03-22-2016, 08:45
The new owners (who are not so new anymore) are all doing great, and they are expecting a crazy wonderful year in 2016.

Harrison Bergeron
03-22-2016, 11:15
I was reading "Passing Thru" on the trail before I got there last year, so I was expecting an adventure. I was a little disappointed. It was just a very handy gear store and hostel.

The store's fine. There was a gear shakedown going on in the back, but no pressure to submit my bag for inspection. I was disappointed in the food selection. This was in May, and apparently they stock up once for the bubble and the stragglers just have to make do with the leavings. The Mountain House was all gone.

My biggest disappointment was that the legendary scale on the front porch was broken. I was really looking forward to getting a picture of my bag hanging there. They really ought to fix that.

The hostel was fairly clean and I enjoyed looking at all the memorabilia and reading the logs. They need a timer on the lights. It must have been four in the morning before somebody finally turned them out.

I think I actually caught a glimpse of the legendary Baltimore Jack, but was too shy to get an autograph (at least someone in the hostel said it was him). I think he still works there sometimes.

GreenBlaze
03-22-2016, 11:19
Just ran across his book in my Kindle "Just Passin Thru" and wondered where he ended up after selling the store?

I just started reading this book. That part about the drums and voices was cool. The copperhead mistaking that kid's big toe for food was crazy.

saltysack
03-22-2016, 11:25
I enjoyed the book... Maybe I'll read it again as it been several years ago..glad to hear all is going well for the new owners...I forgot to ask if the "Hiker Hostel" sold....I recall it being for sale a few years back...

daddytwosticks
03-22-2016, 16:11
I was reading "Passing Thru" on the trail before I got there last year, so I was expecting an adventure. I was a little disappointed. It was just a very handy gear store and hostel.

The store's fine. There was a gear shakedown going on in the back, but no pressure to submit my bag for inspection. I was disappointed in the food selection. This was in May, and apparently they stock up once for the bubble and the stragglers just have to make do with the leavings. The Mountain House was all gone.

My biggest disappointment was that the legendary scale on the front porch was broken. I was really looking forward to getting a picture of my bag hanging there. They really ought to fix that.

The hostel was fairly clean and I enjoyed looking at all the memorabilia and reading the logs. They need a timer on the lights. It must have been four in the morning before somebody finally turned them out.

I think I actually caught a glimpse of the legendary Baltimore Jack, but was too shy to get an autograph (at least someone in the hostel said it was him). I think he still works there sometimes.

Look no further than one post above yours...:)

Seatbelt
03-22-2016, 16:51
You might get some responses if you start by telling us about yourself and your experiences, names, etc.

As for me, I use no other name on WB than "Seatbelt" which is also my trailname. I have never thruhiked the AT because of time limitations. However I have thruhiked several other(shorter) trails both here in Indiana and in Pennsylvania. I do not consider myself an expert, just a casual hiker who thoroughly loves to be "out there" and can't wait for the next adventure!!

Seatbelt
03-22-2016, 16:52
Sorry, somehow this ended up in the wrong thread--not sure how, sorry!

Jeff
03-23-2016, 10:47
I forgot to ask if the "Hiker Hostel" sold....I recall it being for sale a few years back...

Josh and Leigh have Hiker Hostel back on the market...but the price is a tough sell.

saltysack
03-23-2016, 10:48
Josh and Leigh have Hiker Hostel back on the market...but the price is a tough sell.

Thx...I thought they sold it a few years back....guess not...