PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Aether 60 backpack question

Barricade
03-21-2016, 20:05
Ok. I cant figure out what these are for....?
I cant find its counterpart...?
Any real ideas?

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/crabintakes/pack_zps2r9e2oaz.jpg

ALLEGHENY
03-21-2016, 20:10
They look to be a female buckle part for maybe a axillary strap on.

eblanche
03-21-2016, 20:20
On the Osprey website it looks like the top buckle is actually the "accessory" attachment and the second from top is where the top side compression strap goes....odd because the opposite side cleary shoes that the side compression strap is buckled to the upper buckle (above the shoulder straps.

I'm not sure without handling the pack but take a look at the osprey website yourself. I would venture to guess they are for some type of accessories. http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/product/aether-60-AETHER60_685.html

ALLEGHENY
03-21-2016, 20:23
connector port for a lash

Zendoutsu
03-21-2016, 21:36
If that model is like the Ariel series, they are to connect to the pack compression straps. For when the pack as it empties.

dervari
03-21-2016, 22:10
Straight jacket straps. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160322/7eaeb48a7220f93235061d94e0cb6e43.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eblanche
03-22-2016, 19:33
I see that others have found the answer. I was going to post back after asking a friend about his. Yes, they are extra compression, "straight jacket," buckles.

alnitak
03-24-2016, 18:29
Frankly, I still don't see how to use them. The two compression straps (horizontal ones top and bottom) don't appear to be long enough (certainly not to use diagonally). And since the anchor point is still the same (integrated into the pack), it doesn't seem to add much more compression by going a bit more down the side. I could see it if there was a different anchor point on the other side of the "back panel" (isn't it more like the side panel??). I have these on my older Argon as well, but the straps are longer, and it appears you can add other straps on the Argon; also the material extends further back. My new Aether doesn't expand/compress near as much as the Argon, even though both are 70L. I guess I need pictures since their desription doesn't make sense to me.

alnitak
03-24-2016, 18:33
And, I don't see the "three strap" compression system. There are two, top and bottom of the front pocket, then two more shorter ones at the top that connect to the side. so where do they get three?? Looks like four to me, not counting the two vertical ones or the two that are inside the pockets (or outside if you rig it that way). I am confused.

PAHiker
03-28-2016, 09:17
This might help:

alnitak
03-28-2016, 12:03
Thanks. I assumed those were the straps, however they look too short to attach to the straight-jacket female buckles (i guess that pack need to be near completely empty for them to reach), which are angled such that they don't really align on plane with the straps. Still, it seems to be the only explanation. Guess my pack will never be that empty such that I can deploy the straps in this fashion.