PDA

View Full Version : Length of Cord for Food Bag?

TheWhiteWalker
03-21-2016, 20:54
I recently purchased 30' of Paracord550. Is that enough length to properly hang a food bag over a tree branch on the AT? If it is too short I will get the 50' of the Paracord325.

I also read on this site that mice and coons have been known to climb down the cord to the food bag for a midnight snack. I am having a hard time justifying the cost for a Ursack so maybe there is an easy trick to prevent these critters from climbing down the cord??? Thanks!

Studlintsean
03-21-2016, 21:13
I have never had an issue with mice or raccoons in my food. I am saying it can't happen because it is definitely possible but I wouldn't worry about it. I carry 50 ft which has always been plenty. 30 may work.

Huli
03-21-2016, 21:24
50 is reccomend for ease of getting the food hung properly. 30 will work, just not as often.

saltysack
03-21-2016, 21:29
50' zpacks zline....never used as I sleep with my grub...never had an issue...not sure why I still carry it....have used it as a cloths line though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christoph
03-21-2016, 21:32
On my thru attempt last year, I carried around 75 feet of Paracord and that was way too much. Ended up cutting it down to around 50 feet, but even then I felt I had too much. I'd say stick to 30 and as for the mouse issue, I had one get up on a bear cable and into my bag over the "anti mouse and critter" thing that looks like a dogs cone of shame. Ate a Ramen pack and a bag of instant loaded baked potatoes. I wasn't too worried about other critters (bears, 'coons, and such). They only got me once though but I saw a few others along the way that had the same problem on bear cables. From then on, I slept with my food bag on and off, hanging it only when I thought bears might be in the area.

saltysack
03-21-2016, 22:36
50' zpacks zline....never used as I sleep with my grub...never had an issue...not sure why I still carry it....have used it as a cloths line though...

I forgot to add...my ratter(lilJack Russell)usually hikes with me...he's definitely an animal deterrent...

GreenBlaze
03-21-2016, 22:53
I've got 50ft of guyline, a caribiner, and a rock sack for PCT style hanging. It's almost 5oz and I really would like to toss it and sleep with my food too, but there are too many warnings recently about Yogi bear.

saltysack
03-21-2016, 23:04
I forgot to add...my ratter(lilJack Russell)usually hikes with me...he's definitely an animal deterrent...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ver4jqvtXQk

saltysack
03-21-2016, 23:08
I've got 50ft of guyline, a caribiner, and a rock sack for PCT style hanging. It's almost 5oz and I really would like to toss it and sleep with my food too, but there are too many warnings recently about Yogi bear.

I'll fight yogi for my food!!!

ALLEGHENY
03-21-2016, 23:20
Thirty foot of line will work on any suitable hang point no higher than fifteen foot to twenty foot using the pct method. Learn the pct method.

1azarus
03-21-2016, 23:27
Go for fifty feet. It is hard enough to find a good branch for the pct method that it is worth the weight penalty to carry the extra line. And that comes from a gram weenie.

colorado_rob
03-22-2016, 00:56
Call me silly, some say 30', others the full 50', I've used 40 for decades. 30 ain't quite enough sometimes, 50 is a bit too much. Voila, 40.

MuddyWaters
03-22-2016, 02:50
30 isnt enough
40 can work if find right height branc
If dont, you need 50

Good branches are few and often higher than you expect when on a sloping hillside

Hikes in Rain
03-22-2016, 06:08
Mine started at 50, but over time I've cut bits and pieces off for other uses, so it's probably 30 or less. i can still make it work, but I do wish it were longer again. Weight penalty is pretty negligible.

soumodeler
03-22-2016, 09:05
I use the ZPacks bear bag kit which comes with 50'. Normally way too long, but I don't cut it because a) I might need some for other uses and b) it weighs 1.4oz. I do hang PCT style most of the time, but normally in GA I can find a decent branch that doesn't need all 50'.

Another Kevin
03-22-2016, 09:30
I'm for the full fifty feet. Sometimes I've resorted to the "between two trees" method when there wasn't a good branch anywhere, and fifty feet was barely enough.

Trance
03-22-2016, 10:34
Long enough that a bear cant get to it.

DuneElliot
03-22-2016, 11:02
I'm on the side of carrying 50ft. 20ft extra feet of paracord barely weighs anything so why not carrying it. It's the kind of thing that it's better to have and not need than need and not have.

Odd Man Out
03-22-2016, 11:54
Mine started at 50, but over time I've cut bits and pieces off for other uses, so it's probably 30 or less. i can still make it work, but I do wish it were longer again. Weight penalty is pretty negligible.

I too have been cutting bits off for miscellaneous projects. I don't really know how much is left. I'm usually in the "sleep with your food" camp, but will be hiking in SNP this summer and hanging may be necessary. Now I'm thinking I better go measure to see how much is left of my original 50' ZPacks line.

CoconutTree
03-22-2016, 12:25
I use 50' slick line from zpacks. It is light, has a slippery coating, and the extra length helps when you can't find a good tree, which is often. I am all for cutting weight, but somethings are worth carrying.

rock steady
03-22-2016, 21:23
buy 50' at an army surplus store. just be sure it is 550 paracord.buya 18 oz plastic jar of Gatorade powder to store it in. drill a 1/4" hole in the top. when you get to camp dump the cord,fill the jar w/a few rocks then put the end of the cord back thru the top and tie some knot on the end (which is now on the inside side) screw the lid on, arrange your paracord, and Sling It! its a great lil gizmo! God bless...

Jack Tarlin
03-22-2016, 22:59
Paracord usually goes for fifty feet for around five bucks. You'll want it for a laundry line as well as a bear hanger. You might also want to cut short pieces off of it in some places (like if you're trying to secure a non free-standing tent to a wooden tent platform, which happens often up north). Bring 50 feet, not thirty.

rocketsocks
03-22-2016, 23:39
50' minimum would be my take...if I wanted to hang my food, which I don't.

lonehiker
03-22-2016, 23:45
35' to perhaps 40'.

SWODaddy
03-23-2016, 09:01
50' for all the reasons already mentioned.

QiWiz
03-23-2016, 11:47
30 is a bit short IMO for some branches you may want to use. 40-50 feet a better bet.

Christoph
03-23-2016, 18:38
I'd like to change my thought process on this a bit from my earlier post. I said I'd stick to 30 feet but I think maybe 50 is the way to go. Not only for bear bag use, but repairs (after all, it's really light and durable) and maybe a quick clothes line for drying after the huge rainstorm you just hiked though. ?? Just my 2 cents. I think I'll stick with 50 on my next attempt.

Huli
03-31-2016, 15:52
We were just at Harpers Creek shelter as part of a section hike. There is no bear pole at that shelter. I had forgotten my bear line, my brother had his 30 ft piece. Had we not found some line laying around the site, the 30 would have been too short to reach, by 5ft!

bigcranky
03-31-2016, 16:31
30 is cutting it close, but probably not a big deal in the South. Up in Vermont I was happy to have all fifty feet sometimes.

Look at it this way -- the tallest branch you can throw over is roughly half the length of your line, since you need both ends to attach the bag and pull it up. So 30 feet of line means a 15 foot branch, max, which using the PCT method gets your food at most 9 feet from the ground -- probably enough. But there are places were the best branch was way over 15 feet.

Also, I found that paracord stretched far too much for my taste. I like the Spectra flat cord, 40-50 feet of it. Lighter than para and way stronger, with zero stretch and it never tangles.

lonehiker
03-31-2016, 18:42
30 is cutting it close, but probably not a big deal in the South. Up in Vermont I was happy to have all fifty feet sometimes.

Look at it this way -- the tallest branch you can throw over is roughly half the length of your line, since you need both ends to attach the bag and pull it up. So 30 feet of line means a 15 foot branch, max, which using the PCT method gets your food at most 9 feet from the ground -- probably enough. But there are places were the best branch was way over 15 feet.

Also, I found that paracord stretched far too much for my taste. I like the Spectra flat cord, 40-50 feet of it. Lighter than para and way stronger, with zero stretch and it never tangles.

You don't need 30' for a 15' branch. Both ends can easily be 5' off the ground and you are still able to hook onto and haul up. Is it easier to have 30'? Perhaps, but definitely not required. That is why I say 35' (40' max) for bear line use.

MtDoraDave
03-31-2016, 20:02
I recently discovered the new aged paracord called "technora" Technora 950 (950 lb test) is about half the size (and weight) of the paracord 550 and almost twice as strong...and has a ptfe (teflon) coating to help it glide over branches. Google it. It's not cheap, but it's not as expensive as most of the other essential gear we pay big bucks for.

I have had times when 50' was just barely long enough, so I won't bring less. To keep it from getting tangled, I wrap it around a small piece of thin walled (schedule 20) 3/4" pvc pipe. (or a stick) The pipe could double for a water spout to help in some "seep" sources.

nsherry61
03-31-2016, 22:23
And, if you're serious about hanging bear bags, there are always going to be times when the branches just aren't there to provide an effective PCT hang, and in those cases, where an alternative method needs to be used, some extra line will be the difference between a successful hang and failed hang. It seems silly to me to carry less than 50' of line given its usefulness for non-PCT hangs, it usefulness in all the other uses for twine in the back-country, and its relative light weight.

cmoulder
04-01-2016, 08:32
50' of 1.8mm Dyneema. Slick cord is much better than Paracord and much lighter. I used 40' for a while and often it was just barely enough.

IMO the more perplexing issue is, How do you throw the weighted end over a branch and find success with the fewest number of attempts?? Sometimes I get lucky and hit the jackpot on the 2nd or 3rd try, but it's taken as many as 30 tries to get it done!!

1azarus
04-01-2016, 14:48
50' of 1.8mm Dyneema. Slick cord is much better than Paracord and much lighter. I used 40' for a while and often it was just barely enough.

IMO the more perplexing issue is, How do you throw the weighted end over a branch and find success with the fewest number of attempts?? Sometimes I get lucky and hit the jackpot on the 2nd or 3rd try, but it's taken as many as 30 tries to get it done!!

now, here's an honest hiker. ...and each throw, for me, is a moment of extreme anxiety because i fear that the line will become hopelessly tangled somehow, or that someone will show up to witness the spectacle! I still am finding I sleep a little bit better with my food hung PCT style from a tree than hung from the foot end of my hammock, even though I've never had an issue with keeping my food close.

lonehiker
04-01-2016, 17:34

The key is to put ample amount of weight in your throw/rope bag. Not being a baseball player, I seem to have a stronger throw, with more accuracy, by throwing underhanded. I rarely get it on first attempt but usually 2nd or 3rd try nets success.

Another Kevin
04-01-2016, 18:21
My most embarrassing bear bag line throw was when I spotted a branch about 25 feet up, maybe a few feet more, that was otherwise perfect. I nailed it on the first try, too, and the weight sailed over the branch, fell down on the other side, and pulled all fifty feet of line with it. Nothing to do for it but pick up the line and throw again, this time with the dead end of the line secured. And of course, then it took me multiple casts to hit a branch again.

mortonjl
04-02-2016, 05:38
50ft is the norm

bettybadass
04-05-2016, 02:42
I always take more than that. Paracord is not just for hanging food. You can use it to dry your clothes, or help to fix your tent, or to tie down a broken lim