PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down my base weight

reaganmish
03-21-2016, 21:11
Hey Everyone!

I have hiked sections of the AT these past two years (NOBO), and have ended up just north of Pearisburg, VA. I am planning on finishing the rest of the trail this summer. I have modified and cut down over the years to buy the gear that is more ultralight/lightweight. Any suggestions to cut down on weight?
https://lighterpack.com/r/fw744e

Also, I am a pretty small guy (only 5'5 130lbs) and can't seem to find shirts that would be ultralight, in the size extra small, any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Huli
03-21-2016, 21:21
I choose heavier gear for comfort. Barring that, what I notice off the bat is the following... Change the tent to a tarp style, get a Cuban fiber pack, say no to the fleece hoodie, and don't bring soap.

For your shirt, what kind are you looking for? I like the Columbia button up tech shirts.... Bugs can't bite through them.

Malto
03-21-2016, 21:22
Other than some insignificant tweaking that will not be noticeable, you big hitters are your pack and bag. You could cut a pound off each but that is money. Depending on your circumstances you may already be at the point of diminishing returns.

reaganmish
03-21-2016, 21:31
I choose heavier gear for comfort. Barring that, what I notice off the bat is the following... Change the tent to a tarp style, get a Cuban fiber pack, say no to the fleece hoodie, and don't bring soap.

For your shirt, what kind are you looking for? I like the Columbia button up tech shirts.... Bugs can't bite through them.

I am tempted to change the tent style, since the tent was a gift, but I am not experienced with tarp camping, and haven't looked into some really good videos, or blogs about it yet.
Are the Columbia button up tech shirts breathable? I have only hiked with over-sized Nike tshirts mainly, just because the small fits alright, but it can be too baggy for me. Really anything under 30$ a tshirt that is comfortable and fits well.

GreenBlaze
03-21-2016, 22:35
Hey Everyone!

I have hiked sections of the AT these past two years (NOBO), and have ended up just north of Pearisburg, VA. I am planning on finishing the rest of the trail this summer. I have modified and cut down over the years to buy the gear that is more ultralight/lightweight. Any suggestions to cut down on weight?
https://lighterpack.com/r/fw744e

Also, I am a pretty small guy (only 5'5 130lbs) and can't seem to find shirts that would be ultralight, in the size extra small, any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Where did you find a Smart Water bottle for 0.4oz? The lightest I've found is 0.9oz?
You don't need 2L of water. You can carry 1L and fill up along the way. Look at the guide book.

GreenBlaze
03-21-2016, 22:38

Interesting you quote him a shirt that bugs can't bite through, but suggest a tarp that ticks and other bugs can freely attack you in while sleeping. :D

Slo-go'en
03-21-2016, 22:42
Interesting you quote him a shirt that bugs can't bite through, but suggest a tarp that ticks and other bugs can freely attack you in while sleeping. :D

I'm guessing the suggestion was meant to be a "tarptent" style tent, rather than what ever he has now.

reaganmish
03-21-2016, 23:37
Where did you find a Smart Water bottle for 0.4oz? The lightest I've found is 0.9oz?
You don't need 2L of water. You can carry 1L and fill up along the way. Look at the guide book.

I had to google it, the normal 1L bottles have cut down on plastic, so I went with something in-between, thanks for the update on the weight! And I plan on only having 1L of water filled up. I bring 2- 1L smart water bottles, because I fill up both, one for cooking water, and one for drinking... just because I have ran into too many spots where I have to hike away from the tent site/shelter site to get water.

scudder
03-22-2016, 06:59
lose the footprint ,unless you are using it for rain protection as well

Cheyou
03-22-2016, 07:34
What is a coffee can pot? It sure is light.

garlic08
03-22-2016, 09:09
Ditto Malto's advice, look at Tarptent and maybe a cheaper Gossamer Gear pack. For about $300 for both (GG packs go on sale), I got both weighing about 40 oz. I haven't used a footprint for the last dozen years, so there's an easy loss.

For the little things that add up, some examples are: Sunglasses are often optional, you can carry a few grams of bar soap or none at all, you can use a ziplock for toiletries, with the right hat and clothing sunscreen might be optional.

(I go hiking to get away from the phone, so I consider that optional as well! But I'm an old guy....)

MuddyWaters
03-22-2016, 09:25
Just 1 shoe? Why not two? Add 10 oz
Liner has wt .. Add 1-2 oz
Paracord weighs a lot more than 1.5 oz, add a couple oz.

You can save :
1 lb with quilt
1/2 lb ditch footprint
1/2 lb with different tent
1/4 lb ditch charger
Brs3000t stove save 1 oz
Ditch 2 drysaks, save 2+ oz.
Lighter headlamp - save 2 oz
No deet save 2 oz
Reduce med kit save 1 oz
Reduce dr bronners save 1 oz
No extra shorts or synth top save 9 oz
Save 2 on sunglasses looks like really poor guess at wt unless include case. Better yet, sunglasses arent necessary on AT . save 3.

No camp shoes save 3 oz

Way i see it, you can EASILY cut 3+ lbs., but you probably have to add back 1 for poor wts above, so net save 2.25 lb.

colorado_rob
03-22-2016, 10:07
No weight reduction really needed, you're there. As has already been said, any further reductions are just diminishing returns. A pound or two either way on a 20-25 total pound pack, assuming it's a decent pack (like your Exos) will probably not be noticeable.

That being said, perhaps you should look at the ULA Circuit or Ohm 2.0? I ditched my Osprey Exos 46 a few years ago because the ULA pack (I use the OHM 2.0) was more supportive at the waist and overall more comfortable. Those Exos waist belts are horrible, IMHO. Perhaps they have improved them, my Exos is about 5 years old.

And I agree that a tarp-type tent would be nice, and YES, ditch that silly footprint.

I any case, congratulations on being a lightweight hiker! If you need more reductions to get to real UL, it will cost you... but worth it if you are truly serious about this best-of-all-pastimes.

(FWIW, from memory but close: my big 3, 16 oz zpacks solo+ tent, $420, 28 ounce ULA OHM 2.0, $200, and 20 ounce Katabatic Gear Alsek bag, $500, right about 4 pounds for the Big 3)

Huli
03-22-2016, 15:28
Yes, I did intend for tarptent as a Google search result, however there are quite a few other manufacturers. I didn't want to infer one over another.

The Columbia shirts come in various levels of breathability. Best thing for me was to go to the store and compare them in person.

RockDoc
03-22-2016, 15:32
I would recommend two 1L water bladders too, so that you can camp in dry areas and have enough for dinner/breakfast.

Don't cut things down too much or you safety margin will be very thin and you may get into very uncomfortable situations. Ask me how I know...

reaganmish
03-22-2016, 20:10
What is a coffee can pot? It sure is light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzWxP_b3dZM

I came across this video, while trying to save money, and instead of buying a new pot, I went with this guys idea.

reaganmish
03-22-2016, 20:12
I would recommend two 1L water bladders too, so that you can camp in dry areas and have enough for dinner/breakfast.

Don't cut things down too much or you safety margin will be very thin and you may get into very uncomfortable situations. Ask me how I know...

Now I want to hear the story behind that one.

Flash52
04-01-2016, 14:36
Use the soap that doesn't have any water like "Travelon Body Wash Toiletry Sheets" from Amazon
Take everything out twice a month and if you haven't used it in 2 weeks consider leaving it behind.
Use MSR water treatment tablets instead of a filtering system.
Use Frogg Toggs cheapest version of rain suit (this saved a whole pound over my marmont rain suit.