PDA

View Full Version : Liners for Quilts - worth it?

TheWhiteWalker
03-21-2016, 22:54
I read that it is a good idea to use a sleeping bag liner to keep your sleeping bag clean. I recently purchased a 20F down quilt from Enlightened Equipment and now I am debating on whether or not to purchase a sleeping bag liner for my quilt.

Reasons why I think I don't want liner:
It seems to me a liner might defeat the reason of why I purchased a quilt vs a mummy bag because of the restricting cocoon feeling of a mummy bag. Also, it seems like all the sleeping liners are made for mummy bags, not quilts.

Reasons why I think I want a liner:
It will keep my down quilt cleaner and in better working condition. I can use it for a little extra warmth on cold nights.

Unfortunately I do not have time to test out a liner before going on a thru hike so I hope you all can help me make this decision based on your experience. Thank you!!

Hosh
03-22-2016, 00:58
If you purchased a quilt because of the freedom of movement, then a liner will compromise your original intent. A better option would be sleeping clothes, something like merino wool, easily washed, dried and light weight.

HeartFire
03-22-2016, 08:37
My liner is very roomy - it's a cocoon brand cool max liner - I love it, no restriction of movement, acts as a 'top sheet' and works great with my EE quilt.

garlic08
03-22-2016, 08:49
One of the unexpected reasons I like my quilt is there's no need for a liner, since you don't actually sleep on it. A few minutes of strong sunshine once in a while and it stays clean and fresh. I have not yet laundered my EE quilt.

MuddyWaters
03-22-2016, 09:00
A liner would defeat the reasons for having a quilt
1. Lightest sleep insulation possible
2. Ease of use

Seems absurd, but to each their own.

If your planning to use it for warmth, why didnt you buy right quilt to start?

If you think it will keep it clean, top quilts stay cleaner than bag, but you still need to wash it anyway perodically. Ever see residue on your glasses? Sweat and body oils dont have to have physical contact....their vapors can do the same, which a liner doesnt stop.

Just unnecessary wt.

Sandy of PA
03-22-2016, 09:34
I modified my Cool-max liner to make a fitted sheet for my Neo-Air XTherm. It still is a bag with elastic to hold it on. In hot weather I sleep on top and don't stick to the plastic. If I get too cool I can crawl into the bag without getting out from under my quilt. Best of both worlds for six oz.

DuneElliot
03-22-2016, 10:57
Rather than a liner (which I hate even inside sleeping bags) I just carry and wear a light-weight set of dedicated sleeping clothes. Keeps the quilt clean just like a liner, but affords me the ability to not get tangled up plus they are dual purpose in case I do get everything else wet.