PDA

View Full Version : Fat sources for hiking

dudeijuststarted
03-22-2016, 13:30
I'll keep this thread simple. I'm looking for readily available high-density fat sources that can be carried for 5-7 days at a stretch. Preferably something "standalone" that can be added to virtually anything.

Tips and tricks for storing such fat sources also appreciated.

Thanks WB!

heatherfeather
03-22-2016, 13:34
Olive oil is the easiest. Butter is also an option, particularly clarified butter or ghee. Also powdered coconut milk. Those are my go-tos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pedaling Fool
03-22-2016, 13:35
Another very high source of fat is peanut butter.

AlyontheAT2016
03-22-2016, 13:56
Peanut butter and avocados. Not necessarily at the same time.

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

illabelle
03-22-2016, 13:58
Nuts. Cheese.

RockDoc
03-22-2016, 15:01
Justin's nut butters in individual packets; recommend the almond butter
eggs (worth the weight IMO)
butter
cheese; full fat not skim
pemmican
jerky; make your own to avoid addedd sugar and other cr@p
powdered MCT oil
Olive oil
cooked bacon
avocado
various "fat bomb" recipes on paleo sites can be good if you have time to make them
coconut flakes, powder, oil
look into KetoCaNa as a supplement if you are into keto
tinned fish; sardines, kippered snacks
Nuts & seeds (pepitas, sunflower)

QiWiz
03-22-2016, 17:06
Olive oil.

Sarcasm the elf
03-22-2016, 17:13
If I'm out for more than a week, there is a good chance that I have a full 16oz jar of peanutbutter in my food bag. I've been buying Skippy "natural" mostly since it comes in a plastic jar and even though it isn't 100% peanuts, it also doesn't have the fully hydrogenated oils in that lot of processed peanutspreads do and it and actually tastes close to real peanutbutter.

Malto
03-22-2016, 18:18
Olive oil, nido and peanuts butter are my top three fats. If you are doing cooked dinners then your challenge is to see how much olive oil you can add to your meals and still have it be enjoyable. I have at least another then hike in me and I will train my tummy to be able to handle gobs of olive oil and still find it yummy.

Venchka
03-22-2016, 18:27
Pre-cooked bacon and sausage.
Ghee, another recommendation
Chocolate. Peanut M&Ms. A double shot.
Cheese, more cheese, Cabot cheese of course.
Wander through a grocery store. Read labels.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Venchka
03-22-2016, 18:30
Find a grocery store with a nut butter machine. DIY peanut and almond butters are great. I mix peanut and almond 2 to 1.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

map man
03-22-2016, 18:32
Salted nuts of whatever varieties you like best.

Mr. Sparky
03-22-2016, 18:48
If I'm out for more than a week, there is a good chance that I have a full 16oz jar of peanutbutter in my food bag. I've been buying Skippy "natural" mostly since it comes in a plastic jar and even though it isn't 100% peanuts, it also doesn't have the fully hydrogenated oils in that lot of processed peanutspreads do and it and actually tastes close to real peanutbutter.

I go with Smuckers Natural peanut butter since it has no hydrogenated fats, just peanuts and a little salt. You can use a knife to put globs into small snack-size ziplocks, then snip the corner and squeeze it out like a toothpaste tube. YUM!!

ALLEGHENY
03-22-2016, 18:57
I go with Smuckers Natural peanut butter since it has no hydrogenated fats, just peanuts and a little salt. You can use a knife to put globs into small snack-size ziplocks, then snip the corner and squeeze it out like a toothpaste tube. YUM!!

This is my brand too and I do the same repackage in ziplock type bag.

HooKooDooKu
03-22-2016, 19:09
Sunflower kernels have a high cal/Oz AND packs down very small. I've found salted to be too salty and plan to be too plan. So for a JMT hike, I'm going to mix a bag of salted and a bag of unsalted.

Malto
03-22-2016, 20:28

Over time peanut butter will leak oil through ziplock bags. One of the worst things I have learned over the years.

MuddyWaters
03-22-2016, 20:39

Unless changed it, I could never get the stuff out the jar to start with. Settled and dense, cant even stir the jar. Too difficult to mess with. Hello store brand.

Sandy of PA
03-22-2016, 21:36
I carry coconut oil, flavor mixes well with anything, smokes at a fairly high heat if you meet someone with a frying pan. I got a great breakfast when I met a camper with eggs, onions, and mushrooms that forgot to bring oil!

Traillium
03-22-2016, 22:37
Olive oil, nido and peanuts butter are my top three fats. If you are doing cooked dinners then your challenge is to see how much olive oil you can add to your meals and still have it be enjoyable. I have at least another then hike in me and I will train my tummy to be able to handle gobs of olive oil and still find it yummy.

How much olive oil would you add to a supper? Do you carry olive oil in a separate bottle and add what you need / feel like for any given meal?

Bruce Traillium

Sarcasm the elf
03-22-2016, 22:45

I went with the Skippy Natural (or Peter Pan equivalent) because I'm not big into repackaging. I can find it on the shelves of most basic grocery stores and just drop it in my pack.

The smuckers it real 100% peanut butter which is what I prefer in real life, but I can't be bothered to deal with the required mixing and oil that separates out of it when I'm hiking. If it's what you prefer the more power to you.

swjohnsey
03-22-2016, 22:49
Squeeze margarine available just about everywhere, pure fat and calories.

rocketsocks
03-22-2016, 23:18
Apparently rump roast is pretty good, and shouldn't be over looked.

RockDoc
03-22-2016, 23:20
"Squeeze margarine available just about everywhere, pure fat and calories."

You mean pure death!!!

rocketsocks
03-22-2016, 23:34

You mean pure death!!!

Double shots of evoo ain't bad either, little pricey though.

Miel
03-23-2016, 13:46
Mr. Trillium,

About one teaspoon of olive oil goes far, whether in cooking or on a salad.

1/4 cup of olive oil throughout the day for good heart health. (Seems like a lot to me, but reportedly very good for us.)

Anyhoo,

Salmon, another fatty fish (and good for those with depression; not a panacea, but will help boost the seratonin).
Sunflower butter.
Cashew butter.

Asheville has two really nice Whole Foods (grind your own peanut butter, as suggested above).

Miel
03-23-2016, 13:48

You mean pure death!!!

Like those packages of mayo. Like Twinkies, they will survive the apocalypse. (Sorry, I don't mean to criticize the condiment choices of others.)

Puddlefish
03-23-2016, 14:14
Like those packages of mayo. Like Twinkies, they will survive the apocalypse. (Sorry, I don't mean to criticize the condiment choices of others.)

A lot of shelf life issues depend on environment. It's easy to game an experiment by keeping something in a dry dark place. Artificial or natural preservatives have a little impact of course, but improperly stored, anything will get moldy or rot.

swisscross
03-23-2016, 15:06
Mr. Trillium,

About one teaspoon of olive oil goes far, whether in cooking or on a salad.

1/4 cup of olive oil throughout the day for good heart health. (Seems like a lot to me, but reportedly very good for us.)

Anyhoo,

Salmon, another fatty fish (and good for those with depression; not a panacea, but will help boost the seratonin).
Sunflower butter.
Cashew butter.

Asheville has two really nice Whole Foods (grind your own peanut butter, as suggested above).

Salmon jerky and peanut MM's are my go to snacks.

Traillium
03-23-2016, 16:16
Thanks for suggesting amounts, Miel. I'm thinking about a tablespoon or even two — but I'm Type 2 diabetic, and 95kg. Important for me to maximize non-carb calories …
I'm carrying a 4oz Naglene square bottle in an outside pocket (to minimize leakage spreading), so I'm intending on adding some probably to each meal.

Bruce Traillium

Miel
03-23-2016, 17:11
Thanks for suggesting amounts, Miel. I'm thinking about a tablespoon or even two — but I'm Type 2 diabetic, and 95kg. Important for me to maximize non-carb calories …
I'm carrying a 4oz Naglene square bottle in an outside pocket (to minimize leakage spreading), so I'm intending on adding some probably to each meal.

Bruce Traillium

YW :)
I too am T2 and for that reason alone am glad I have some time before my thru-hike. (So I can study; prep; read WB on others' experiences with this.)

ratamahattayou
03-23-2016, 17:37
Summer sausage.

TexasBob
03-23-2016, 18:50
Butter in a plastic jar like a small peanut butter jar. You can add it to everything or eat it plain. Salted is best, it will last longer than unsalted.