PDA

View Full Version : Boots then shoes....good idea or bad idea?

Smoky Spoon
03-23-2016, 01:10
I am planning on beginning my thru hike with my boots, have them bronk in with about 100 miles on them. Was planning on having the spouse mail my hiking shoes when summer came around, thinking it might be a little cooler, they too are broke in with about 75 miles on them.
Later when the weather turns colder again I was planning on having the boots mailed back to me....
Does this seem reasonable? Or should I just stick with boots all the way? I do have a second set of boots also broke in that could be mailed to me, but was thinking the shoes might be a bit cooler hiking in the heat.
Thanks.

Trailweaver
03-23-2016, 01:46
Either would be fine. I used to think I could ONLY hike in my (lucky) hiking boots. (Lucky because I've never had a blister with them.) After an accident that resulted in my ankle being too large to fit into a boot again, I had to buy trail runners. I thought I would die. I believed it would be the end of my hiking any distance without blisters or a twisted ankle. Wrong! I love the lighter weight, and these shoes "grip" on rocks like you wouldn't believe.

All that (sorry) to say - hike in what you think is going to feel good and work best for you on the ground you're on at the time. Lighter weight in the heat of summer will feel good.

garlic08
03-23-2016, 07:04
Many hikers swap out footwear as they hike. It's very difficult to know what's going to work in all conditions before you start. It pays to be flexible.

daddytwosticks
03-23-2016, 07:09
Use what works best for you. If you choose to hike in trail runners, little if no break in is required. However, they won't last as long as conventional hiking boots and will probably need to be replaced often. :)

rocketsocks
03-23-2016, 07:49
Do ya even have to break shoes in anymore, they seem to be pre-broke right outta the box.

displacedbeatnik
03-23-2016, 08:26
Do ya even have to break shoes in anymore, they seem to be pre-broke right outta the box.

If the boots are leather boots, you definitely have to break them in since they mold to your foot.

rocketsocks
03-23-2016, 08:41
If the boots are leather boots, you definitely have to break them in since they mold to your foot.my leather boots were like slippers, right outta the box!

i'd go with the boots smokey

rafe
03-23-2016, 08:58
Yes, swapping out various bits of gear is common. For a typical nobo thru-hike, the cold-weather stuff is needed at the start and at the end of the journey, but not in the middle. The break-in requirement for shoes, in my experience, applies mostly to leather boots, which have very much fallen out of favor among thru hikers. I've switched to brand new shoes mid-hike with no ill effects at all.

Puddlefish
03-23-2016, 10:18
I'm starting the hike with an old loved pair of boots. When those die, I have a low version of the same boots I've mostly broken in, which I'll have mailed to me. If those die, I'll probably buy a pair of lighter weight trail runners at an outfitters.

I've already taken the time at a local shoe store to pick out a couple of potential brands that fit my feet pretty well. I do a whole lot of day hiking, so I don't imagine my foot shape will change all that much during my thru attempt. If those don't work out, I'll just switch back to my stand by brand and possibly slow down as they break in again.

Playing it by ear, mostly.

Slo-go'en
03-23-2016, 10:20
These days I'm not sure if I'm breaking in my boots to fit my feet or breaking in my feet to fit the boot.

Either way, I'm glad I'm putting more then a few miles on my new boots before hitting the trail for real. But I think doing that is more important for the start of the hike then latter on after your feet have toughened up.

In any event, only you can answer the question of whether to switch between boots and trail runners, there is no way we can answer that question for you. Everyone is different and have different preferences. Me, I hate low cut trail runners, not nearly enough support and the soles are not stiff enough for my liking when hiking on ragged, rocky trail, which is much of the AT.

Rain Man
03-23-2016, 15:34
Does this seem reasonable? Or should I just stick with boots all the way? I do have a second set of boots also broke in that could be mailed to me, but was thinking the shoes might be a bit cooler hiking in the heat.
Thanks.

Absolutely sounds reasonable. Though don't be surprised if you decide to stick with shoes. Most hikers seem to permanently stick with shoes once they try both. But as always, decide what works for you, no matter what works for others.

Might seem counter-intuitive, but shoes force your ankles to become stronger and less likely to injury, whereas boots tend to keep your ankles weaker and perhaps more prone to injury.

rafe
03-23-2016, 15:49
Might seem counter-intuitive, but shoes force your ankles to become stronger and less likely to injury, whereas boots tend to keep your ankles weaker and perhaps more prone to injury.

We used to hike in leather boots, one reason being "ankle support." But I've decided that's nonsense. The only boot that truly offers ankle support is a ski boot, and you can't properly walk in such boots. Ankle's got to be able to flex every which way. You can't support it without constraining its movement, and you can't walk properly if you've constrained it much.

displacedbeatnik
03-23-2016, 16:13
We used to hike in leather boots, one reason being "ankle support."

I have found they're way better on my ankles and killer on my shins.

shelb
03-23-2016, 22:46
Do what is best for you!

I only hike in trail runners now.... LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THEM!!!

I do hear of people switching from boots or waterproof shoes to non-waterproof hiking shoes or trail runners near the end of the trail (NOBO) because they dry much faster after getting wet from rain or river/stream crossing.

Smoky Spoon
03-24-2016, 14:29
I have hiking boots and hiking shoes, both broke in, but not trail runners I guess. I guess what I am saying is that I am not sure what a trail runner is compared to a hiking shoe? I am prior army, so I am used to military boots but have over time switched to goretex hiking boots. Then to hiking shoes and depending on terrain makes my choice between boot and shoe but am pretty sure they are not trail runners, just not sure exactly what trail runners are? And what the difference between trail runners and hiking shoes would be?
Thanks everyone for your help.

Do what is best for you!

I only hike in trail runners now.... LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THEM!!!

I do hear of people switching from boots or waterproof shoes to non-waterproof hiking shoes or trail runners near the end of the trail (NOBO) because they dry much faster after getting wet from rain or river/stream crossing.

lonehiker
03-24-2016, 14:47
Think of a running shoe with more aggressive tread.

rafe
03-24-2016, 15:16
Think of a running shoe with more aggressive tread.

That, plus a layer of hard plastic or some such, laminated into the sole, so that the sole is stiffer and so that sharp rocks are less painful when you step on the points.

Water Rat
03-24-2016, 15:27
Trail runners fit and feel a lot like a running shoe, but are made to handle the roots, rocks, etc.

Hiking shoes tend to be a bit more stiff and "sturdy," a little less agile on the trail. They are heavier than trail runners, but not as heavy as boots.

Truthfully, the best shoe/boot/sandal is the one that fits your foot and is comfortable. The trail has been hiked in Keds, various types of boots, sandals, barefoot... There is no one best piece of foot ware. Definitely go with what feels good on your foot. If your feet are happy you increase your odds of completing the trail. If your feet are not happy, you are most likely not gonna make it to Maine. You gotta pamper your feet.

One word of caution about pre-buying any boots and shoes is that if you do not currently do a lot of backpacking, your feet very well might change sizes over the course of your hike. If you are already doing a good deal of backpacking, your feet are not as likely to change sizes.

MuddyWaters
03-24-2016, 15:58
I have hiking boots and hiking shoes, both broke in, but not trail runners I guess. I guess what I am saying is that I am not sure what a trail runner is compared to a hiking shoe? I am prior army, so I am used to military boots but have over time switched to goretex hiking boots. Then to hiking shoes and depending on terrain makes my choice between boot and shoe but am pretty sure they are not trail runners, just not sure exactly what trail runners are? And what the difference between trail runners and hiking shoes would be?
Thanks everyone for your help.

One is lighter, more breatheable, more flexible, more comfortable, faster drying, and designed for running on mountain trails. It is a running shoe with more aggressive tread and a little bit of protection....like a rand and toe cap....or sometimes not. May or may not have rock plate...not a factor really.

Hiking shoe:
Trail runner:

Christoph
03-24-2016, 16:35
Whatever you feel comfortable with, go with that. I started out with some light hiking boots and ended up getting tons of blisters. So I swapped to a trail runner type sneaker after the boots wore out and used those for the rest of my trip. Next thru attempt, I'm going with sneakers all the way (hopefully all the way) but everyone is different. I wouldn't stress to much about footwear (or any other backpack items for that matter). You'll more than likely swap them out or they'll wear out to where you'll have to replace them anyway. You can always change it up fairly easy along the way.

displacedbeatnik
03-24-2016, 16:42
Next thru attempt, I'm going with sneakers all the way (hopefully all the way) but everyone is different.

I would love to hike it in Converse All-Stars. But I know I would get a million blisters with their flat bottoms.

Smoky Spoon
03-24-2016, 17:59
Thank for the explanation, i have hiking boots and shoes and do well with both. Do not get blisters, and enjoy them a lot but am curious about the shoes. Might try some out once I get back from my hike.....thanks again!

Trail runners fit and feel a lot like a running shoe, but are made to handle the roots, rocks, etc.

Hiking shoes tend to be a bit more stiff and "sturdy," a little less agile on the trail. They are heavier than trail runners, but not as heavy as boots.

Truthfully, the best shoe/boot/sandal is the one that fits your foot and is comfortable. The trail has been hiked in Keds, various types of boots, sandals, barefoot... There is no one best piece of foot ware. Definitely go with what feels good on your foot. If your feet are happy you increase your odds of completing the trail. If your feet are not happy, you are most likely not gonna make it to Maine. You gotta pamper your feet.

One word of caution about pre-buying any boots and shoes is that if you do not currently do a lot of backpacking, your feet very well might change sizes over the course of your hike. If you are already doing a good deal of backpacking, your feet are not as likely to change sizes.

Smoky Spoon
03-24-2016, 18:01
Love the description and pics, they helped a lot. Might try out some of those runners on certain I get back, for now I like my boots and shoes.
Thank you for taking the time to find these and post them.

One is lighter, more breatheable, more flexible, more comfortable, faster drying, and designed for running on mountain trails. It is a running shoe with more aggressive tread and a little bit of protection....like a rand and toe cap....or sometimes not. May or may not have rock plate...not a factor really.

Hiking shoe:
Trail runner: