PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my pad

tflaris
03-23-2016, 10:07
Any suggestion on making my Therrma-Rest Pro Lite a little more comfortable without gaining to much weight or sacrificing durability.

I will be out in the wild for 19 days.

Hammock camping not an option on this trip.

Thanks
TF

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

saltysack
03-23-2016, 10:53
Yea...replace with neoair...;-)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
03-23-2016, 10:54
Forgot to ask....19 days...lucky you, where u going...

Sarcasm the elf
03-23-2016, 11:00
Not a lot of ways to make a prolite much more comfortable aside from adding foam pad on top, or getting a NeoAir.

You probably already tried this, but when I use my old prolite I deflate it a little bit after I'm lying on it. It takes some trial and error but you might find a certain inflation level that is more comfortable for you.

saltysack
03-23-2016, 11:32
Just recently I opted to use my zlite foam pad for a trip due to ease of use and speed....I was surprised how comfortable it actually was.....that was after paddling a sup 18+ hours per day....honestly the self inflating pads like the prolite are great compared to the inflation time of a large neo air.....i switched from a prolite to the neoair xlite several years back...sometimes regret switching....

daddytwosticks
03-23-2016, 14:15
Always been a Prolite user. Tried a neoair Xlite for a short time in 2013. Didn't like it. To much hassle to inflate/deflate/roll up. Always worried about puncturing it due to it being more delicate. It was very comfortable, though. Went back to my trusty Prolite. :)

Gambit McCrae
03-23-2016, 15:02
eXPED SYNMAT 7 LW.

rocketsocks
03-23-2016, 16:13
Chrome the air nozzle cap.

displacedbeatnik
03-23-2016, 16:47
The Exped Synmat 7 is amazing! I love the hand pads to fill it up because after a long day on the trail, my lungs don't want to do anything more. Though I have never been able to get mine down to the promised half liter water bottle size. More like a two liter soda.

Just Tom
03-23-2016, 17:33
I sometimes pair a regular sized zlite with the torso sized Klymit xlite (listed at 6 ounces, but don't bother taking the inflation bulb as you won't need it). Adds a bit of comfort to the indestructible closed-cell pad.

tflaris
03-25-2016, 12:07
Chrome the air nozzle cap.

Sweet idea!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."

tflaris
03-25-2016, 12:07
Forgot to ask....19 days...lucky you, where u going...

JMT

saltysack
03-25-2016, 12:14
JMT

Amazing place...I did it last sept..best 13 days ever! Wish I had more time! Can't wait to get back out west..hope to do part of CT this summer.... I dream about it daily! A pic I took is my eternal screen saverhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160325/c806af4d402f81dced94d1bbc55b76b7.jpg

Dogwood
03-25-2016, 12:58
Any suggestion on making my Therrma-Rest Pro Lite a little more comfortable without gaining to much weight or sacrificing durability.

I will be out in the wild for 19 days.

Melatonin and a long hiking day. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ REST.

Sleep on soft duff like non sappy pine needles, dry leaves, dry moss, etc rather than beaten down compacted dished out bare soil sleep sites. If you're a side sleeper slightly dish out a depression where you're hips fall. Use soft clean clothing over a pack or pillow etc for under the noggin. Sleep within earshot of a tumbling creek, waterfall, or trickling spring. Sleep in a site exposed to warm breezes whistling through the tree tops.

Dogwood
03-25-2016, 13:01
Doing things "better" is not always about different or more gear. Sometimes, it's technique that is the ticket to dreamland.

Sarcasm the elf
03-25-2016, 13:40
Just recently I opted to use my zlite foam pad for a trip due to ease of use and speed....I was surprised how comfortable it actually was.....that was after paddling a sup 18+ hours per day....honestly the self inflating pads like the prolite are great compared to the inflation time of a large neo air.....i switched from a prolite to the neoair xlite several years back...sometimes regret switching....

The z-rest foam pad is my main pad for 3 season hiking. I find it surprisingly comfortable and trust it since it can't deflate in me. (I've had inflatables puncture on me several times over the years.) My prolite pad is the version with the good R-value (prolite-plus?) so I use it in conjunction with my z-rest for winter trips.