PDA

View Full Version : Early May section hike suggestions? 60-100 miles

Hikingjim
03-23-2016, 13:34
Hello, I'm looking at doing a solo hike in May and could use some suggestions.
I am looking at anywhere south of vermont (I have already hiked the trail there), and don't want to go to georgia (too far from me). Anything in between there is ok!

A few options I have been considering, but have not been completely sold on:
- smokies, but it's busier and reservations are annoying...
- just north of the smokies
- virginia - tinker cliff/black tooth type area

I don't want it to be too easy. More climbs and viewpoints the better. And logistics of getting back to my car are always something I need to figure consider

Thanks for any suggestions!

mattjv89
03-23-2016, 13:47
The first section I thought of for that time of year was Shenandoah. When I walked through there in mid June the views were all disappointing, wrapped in a thick blue summer haze. It's close to the top of my list for sections to return to in a better season and I've heard it's a total zoo in the fall so spring might be the time. Not sure when the waysides open though? If you did the Smokies in late May after Trail Days most of the thru hiker traffic should be gone. Then again college will be letting out so maybe it'll be replaced by summer section hikers.

Hikingjim
03-23-2016, 14:27
The first section I thought of for that time of year was Shenandoah. When I walked through there in mid June the views were all disappointing, wrapped in a thick blue summer haze. It's close to the top of my list for sections to return to in a better season and I've heard it's a total zoo in the fall so spring might be the time. Not sure when the waysides open though? If you did the Smokies in late May after Trail Days most of the thru hiker traffic should be gone. Then again college will be letting out so maybe it'll be replaced by summer section hikers.

Does the shenandoah section feel like you're too close to the road and never much wilderness?

NPS outlined a decent 120 mile hike which I might consider if it looks like a nice enough section!
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/SHEN_BCTrip-AT_through_SNP_average_15_miles_per_day_E102.pdf

Slo-go'en
03-23-2016, 14:29
Hot Springs to Erwin is one of my favorite sections, although you might want to start a little south of there to get Max Patch in too.

Hikingjim
03-23-2016, 14:43
Hot Springs to Erwin is one of my favorite sections, although you might want to start a little south of there to get Max Patch in too.

cool, thanks. I'll check that out! I noticed there's a shuttle from Erwin right to Max Patch, so that might be a cool starting point

bigcranky
03-23-2016, 15:02
Central Virginia will be a lot less crowded than anywhere south of Damascus. Early May is a nice time to be on the trail there, too. Start in Pearisburg and hike north for a while, or at Rockfish Gap and hike South. Both are nice hikes.

Slo-go'en
03-23-2016, 16:24
Central Virginia will be a lot less crowded than anywhere south of Damascus. Early May is a nice time to be on the trail there, too. Start in Pearisburg and hike north for a while, or at Rockfish Gap and hike South. Both are nice hikes.

Yea, but central NC is much better, especially in early May with all the wild flowers, bushes and trees blooming. Virginia is not nearly as good for that. And actually, most of the thru hikers will be north of Erwin and many will already be in central VA by early May.

Hikingjim
03-24-2016, 11:15
Yea, but central NC is much better, especially in early May with all the wild flowers, bushes and trees blooming. Virginia is not nearly as good for that. And actually, most of the thru hikers will be north of Erwin and many will already be in central VA by early May.

leaning toward this section. Max patch is around mile 250, so hopefully most of the AT hikers that started march or early april are past there by the beginning of May
I don't mind a bunch of hikers around... just don't want to have full shelters all the time and struggle to find somewhere flat to throw my tent.

dudeijuststarted
03-24-2016, 11:33
May is a great time to tackle New Jersey and New York. Great weather, and the herd isn't there yet. Those states get a bad rap from some heat-distressed NOBOs, but I can say having done them in May that they are a great time and quite lovely.

Moosehead87
03-24-2016, 11:36
Just did Max Patch to Hot Springs this month. A great starting point.