PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hickies?!

Sunshine8
03-24-2016, 13:59
So I LOVE LOVE LOVE my pack. It fits well and carries the weight on my back very well. However, when I go out for multi-day...say more than 3, I develop awful hip hickies. :mad:

Anyone have suggestions or ideas that they have tried to alleviate this problem?

Water Rat
03-24-2016, 15:37
It sounds like maybe you need a little more padding is needed on your hip belt? If the rest of the pack fits great, it sounds like it is either a matter of needing a little more padding on the hip belt, or maybe a little less weight in the pack.

Without knowing what type of pack you have, it's a little difficult to offer suggestions. I had a friend who used to get hip hickies (though, I can't say as she ever referred to them as such!) and she ended up buying a seat belt cover and she cut it in half. She put one on one side of the hip belt, the other on the other side, stitched those in place and had enough padding to be comfortable.

AlyontheAT2016
03-24-2016, 16:03
I have the same issue! My hip bones have zero "padding" on them, just skin on top. I'm trying to keep my pack weight relatively light as much as my budget allows, and am hoping my skin will toughen up in those areas. I've also tried wearing my pack's hip belt a little higher than the supposed correct way and that seemed to alleviate the worst of the pressure.

The seatbelt cover thing is an interesting idea.

Water Rat
03-24-2016, 16:07
Another possible solution, depending on if it will work for your pack... Zpacks makes and sells shoulder pads for their shoulder straps. Those are meant for those who need a little more padding - They might also work as a solution. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/strap_pads.shtml

Water Rat
03-24-2016, 16:08
*I meant to say they might also work as a solution for a little extra hip padding.

illabelle
03-24-2016, 16:41
Another possibility is to eat a bunch of doughnuts. They add padding.
Or potato chips.
Or cookies.
:(
I have extra padding. I wish I knew how to share it with you.

squeezebox
03-24-2016, 18:41
1st I'm male. But since this is the women's, would a maxi pad taped to said spot help? I'ld suggest paper 1st aid tape. Any chance that would help?

Water Rat
03-24-2016, 19:11
1st I'm male. But since this is the women's, would a maxi pad taped to said spot help? I'ld suggest paper 1st aid tape. Any chance that would help?

Not having tried this myself, I wouldn't think a maxi pad could withstand the abuse. They really aren't made to be that durable and they really aren't all that thick enough to offer much in the way of padding. Likewise, I don't see paper tape holding up for very long. Maxi pads do make excellent bandages in a pinch, though.

squeezebox
03-25-2016, 03:09
Just a thought! But hey! at 62 I still suffer from testosterone poisoning now and then. But I was an RN.

Acacia
03-25-2016, 03:49
How about sewing a pair of flat insoles to the belt side facing the hip? Insoles can take a beating.

Sunshine8
03-25-2016, 12:24
Interesting thoughts! I wonder if the thinner maxi pads (Always) would work? I also like the idea of some insoles. I believe it's the friction and lack of natural padding that I can only acquire from eating doughnuts & potato chips :banana.

The pack is a Gregory Deva 70. I recently had to replace my old Deva after it split its zippers. I don't think it's a lack of padding on the hip belt itself, and I carry the bare minimum necessities. My hubs seems to think that I could drop some weight in my gear but that would cause me to have to invest some newer, more expensive gear.

I may carry some maxi pads on my next adventure and see how well they hold up. Maybe then resort to purchasing some insoles. Thanks for the input!

Water Rat
03-25-2016, 12:35
Just a thought! But hey! at 62 I still suffer from testosterone poisoning now and then. But I was an RN.

??? I don't think I totally shot your idea down as horrible, nor did I say it wouldn't work because the idea was contributed by someone male... I simply thought my way (out loud) through your answer. I said I had never tried it, but felt that a maxi pad might not hold up. I was also thinking more long-term rather than a quick, in-the-field solution.

Water Rat
03-25-2016, 12:39
Interesting thoughts! I wonder if the thinner maxi pads (Always) would work? I also like the idea of some insoles. I believe it's the friction and lack of natural padding that I can only acquire from eating doughnuts & potato chips :banana.

The pack is a Gregory Deva 70. I recently had to replace my old Deva after it split its zippers. I don't think it's a lack of padding on the hip belt itself, and I carry the bare minimum necessities. My hubs seems to think that I could drop some weight in my gear but that would cause me to have to invest some newer, more expensive gear.

I may carry some maxi pads on my next adventure and see how well they hold up. Maybe then resort to purchasing some insoles. Thanks for the input!

Maxi pads could hold up for short-term use, but it all depends on how long-term of a solution you are looking for.

Sounds like you have a few ideas to play with. If it is not a matter of needing more padding on the hip belt, you should find out soon enough through trial and error. Regardless, happy hiking! :)

ps- It gets messy when you start taping doughnuts to your hips to act as padding! Potato chips just crumble... ;)

AlyontheAT2016
03-25-2016, 19:29
??? I don't think I totally shot your idea down as horrible, nor did I say it wouldn't work because the idea was contributed by someone male... I simply thought my way (out loud) through your answer. I said I had never tried it, but felt that a maxi pad might not hold up. I was also thinking more long-term rather than a quick, in-the-field solution.

a maxi pad could work on the short term. they can be expensive if you keep buying them--but for many they're a necessity so... I'd give it a shot :)

Water Rat
03-25-2016, 19:35
a maxi pad could work on the short term. they can be expensive if you keep buying them--but for many they're a necessity so... I'd give it a shot :)

True, but I tend to think more long term... I backpack a lot and would not want to keep replacing the pads on my hip belts. :D I tend to go with more permanent fixes so I don't need to keep fiddling with things. Additionally, it would get expensive to have to keep buying pads for the pack. It could work in the field in a pinch, but I thought the OP might be looking for a long term solution.

Water Rat
03-25-2016, 19:37
What might work better - shoulder pads from '80s style blazers! :D

Puddlefish
03-25-2016, 23:06

https://adland.tv/commercials/tlc-life-lessons-delorean-2006-30-usa

Water Rat
03-26-2016, 10:45
https://adland.tv/commercials/tlc-life-lessons-delorean-2006-30-usa

Oh, the flashbacks! *shudder* :D

Smoky Spoon
03-27-2016, 15:09
What about second skin? Whenever I start to develop "hickies" anywhere I use second skin and it holds up really well.

Berry Belle
03-31-2016, 16:08

Or take a cue from Augusten Burrough's mom in "Running with Scissors" and use maxi pads.;)

Water Rat
03-31-2016, 18:04
Or take a cue from Augusten Burrough's mom in "Running with Scissors" and use maxi pads.;)

Yeah... Not so sure I would personally take any advice from her.

My stance remains the same regarding maxi pads. For me, they would not be a long-term solution to a gear issue. Fine for a field patch, but for me it would not be the
solution.

Huli
03-31-2016, 18:13
What pants do you wear?

If I wear pants with thick waist material or belt loops, they tend to give me a similar problem. It also occurs if the pant drop lower than the pack belt.

I solved my problem with running shorts or mountain hardware pants that have the integrated belt.

Traffic Jam
04-01-2016, 10:12
Yeah... Not so sure I would personally take any advice from her.

My stance remains the same regarding maxi pads. For me, they would not be a long-term solution to a gear issue. Fine for a field patch, but for me it would not be the
solution.

I'm with you and wouldn't use a maxi pad as anything except a short-term solution. They do not hold up to a lot of friction and sweat and can cause terrible chafing. The edges of a pad are no different than having a pant seam next to your skin.

Body Glide is great stuff and might help.

Puddlefish
04-01-2016, 11:50
Would an aftermarket seat belt cover fit? Otherwise I'd buy a cheap life preserver, some sort of closed cell foam covered by that nylon fabric. Chop it up and find some way to sew it into a sleeve to go over the hip belt, or otherwise attach it.

dzierzak
04-01-2016, 12:33
Would an aftermarket seat belt cover fit? Otherwise I'd buy a cheap life preserver, some sort of closed cell foam covered by that nylon fabric. Chop it up and find some way to sew it into a sleeve to go over the hip belt, or otherwise attach it.

This was an option for an extremely skinny scout. Blue closed-cell pad cut to fit, covered in nylon, sewed to hip belt. It may provide more cushioning.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/2/4/0/1/hip_belt_mods_post-993107219-74408-p1190518.jpghttp://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/2/4/0/1/hip_belt_mods_post-993107219-74286-p1190516.jpg