PDA

View Full Version : Lightheart Gear of a free standing tent

Shrewd
03-24-2016, 16:41
So i'm thinking of a 2017 thru, and i've really really liked what i've seen about the LHG solong 6, being a 6'3 230 pound guy.
Up till now all the backpacking i've done has been with a classic double walled free standing tent (a cheaper Kelty Salida 2). I've always really liked the ability to set up the poles and the rainfly first during a good rain and then getting in and taking time to set up the tent itself.

So i've seen Judy's videos on youtube and I'm wondering if anyone out there has had experience with the solong, or any of the LHG tents, setting up during a downpour. Is it inevitable that you're going to get the inside fairly wet? Just deal with it and wipe it up with a chammy or some such?

What are your thoughts?

archie
03-24-2016, 18:23
I have used a solo for two or three years. When I set it up in a rain I will get a little wet, but it can be minimized fairly well. I pack it the same every time with one stake loop sticking out of the bag and the fly zipped, screen door unzipped. Stake one end, pull the rest out and set the other. The tent will get a bit wet if you have to rearrange the tent to get the fly on top and untangled. I have gotten better at getting it pulled out with the fly on top and covering the doorway right away.

Then I duck under the fly and crawl into the door to set the poles from the inside and erect the tent. Then back outside to finish the set up.

I cant stay completely dry but I don't get too wet either. The whole set up only takes a minute or two, and there is only a little water right by the door.

Others may have different ideas on how to do it better but that works for me. I really like the tent.

eblanche
03-24-2016, 19:11
I used to own a solo. When I had set up in the rain a couple times I was wet (from the rain) but the inside did not get wet at all. You just have to be a little more careful with getting in/out to put the poles in. A small camp towel helps dry off anything that accidently gets inside.

As mentioned above, pack up the tent with fly zippered shut. If you are really flexible you could even stake out the fly from the inside of the bathtub floor.

Shrewd
03-25-2016, 09:07
Awesome, I appreciate the responses.
People tell me the solong is big enough for two in a pinch, would you say it's big enough for a 6'3 Viking and an 80 pound Bermese/Aussie shepherd mix?

Shrewd
03-25-2016, 10:17
Also, do you leave the ridge pole in place? Is it still easy to pack up the tent with it in there?

Old Hiker
05-21-2016, 08:26
I just logged on to start looking for a new tent. I'm at mile 849 after a night of rain and my solong had MAJOR condensation probs. It has condensation regardless of how open the awning and back door are unless the air outside is either really dry or not too cool.

I used to love the tent, but after zipper probs, leaks after twice seam sealing (using the fecommended silicon and mineral spirits) and the condensation, I think it's time to look for something else.

Looking forward to more replies.

capehiker
05-22-2016, 22:23
I have a Solong6 in my arsenal. I only use it when I know I'm going to be in a dry, well ventilated area. At your height (same as mine), I can without a doubt guarantee you will have mornings when you touch the tent and a shower of condensation will come down. But in reality, this is true with most single wall tents.

I'm currently thru hiking now and brought my Tarptent Moment DW. It has been raining and clammy for the last 7 days. You have to be very diligent keeping your sleeping bag as dry as humanly possible. Trust me, you do not want to be on day 4 of rain, your shelter pitched in storm mode on a humid night, and wake up to the inside showering down on what little you have that was dry.

The reason I chose the Tarptent Moment DW is because it is one of the few double walled tents you can pitch without the inner getting wet. It has kept me dry while others in my bubble are cursing having to set the inner up first.

Franco
05-22-2016, 22:37
"Lightheart Gear of a free standing tent"I have read that line several times but still can't work out what it meant .
Are you freeing yourself from a free standing tent or are you after a free standing tent ?
(just curious...)

Shrewd
05-25-2016, 12:19
"Or" not of. My bad

Franco
05-25-2016, 18:51
I should have realised that myself, thank you for the clarification.

I have recently started on Face Book, I keep pressing enter on private messages (to go to the next line) before I read what I have written . Like here you can't undo a posted message.

Shrewd
05-25-2016, 19:34
Haha right? I was just looking around thinking how the heck do I edit the post??

-Rush-
05-25-2016, 23:24
I posted this in another thread, but it seems possibly useful info here as well.

Balls and Sunshine (Father/Daughter Triple-Crowners)
http://www.trailjournals.com/sunshine2013cdt

Lightheat Cuben Fiber SoLong6
Weight: 22 Ounces
Price: $476
This is truly a Hybrid between a single and double wall tent. There is a door and small vestibule on each side. On starry nights, we'd roll up the doors and enjoy the stars from behind the netting. At 22 ounces, It is sold as a one person tent, but we used it as a double. Beacon had the same tent and we noticed that two people create more condensation than one does. This tent is made of light weight Cuben Fiber, but LightHeart's quality workmanship lasted throughout our entire 3,100 mile CDT hike.

Venchka
05-26-2016, 06:59
As Judy said in the other thread, the SoLong 6 is no longer made in cuben fiber. That would take nothing away from the functionality of the SoLong 6.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

mankind117
05-26-2016, 09:31
Just get a Big Sky Evolution or Revolution 2P. At 3 pounds you have a nice freestanding double wall tent, silnylon (no PU coated fabric), much more functional than a single wall tent.
http://bigskyproducts.com/Big-Sky-Evolution-2P-shelter.aspx

Or if you are really against dedicated tent poles for some reason, just do Tartptent, much better designs that Light Heart

Shrewd
05-26-2016, 14:01
Much better..?

the solong seems pretty well designed to me

-Rush-
05-27-2016, 06:55
As Judy said in the other thread, the SoLong 6 is no longer made in cuben fiber. That would take nothing away from the functionality of the SoLong 6.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

I just saw that. I agree. They probably would have made it 3100 miles with the silnylon version too.