PDA

View Full Version : VT-Katahdin

woodsman
03-24-2016, 21:02
Beginning at North Adams around August 10 to finish out. Is 2 months plenty for a section hiker who averages 12-15 on normal terrain of the AT if there is such?

rafe
03-24-2016, 21:17
Doable, but understand that you'll be hiking the toughest (and most gorgeous) terrain the AT has to offer, once you get to Glencliff NH and beyond.

Slo-go'en
03-24-2016, 21:25
600 miles / 60 days = 10 mile per day over all average. That's reasonably conservative.

Hikers doing 20's before NH typically drop down into the mid to low teens for mileage in NH and ME. We really make you work for you miles up here. Fall is the best time to be doing this section, but weather can be an issue towards the end of the season.

mikem92
03-24-2016, 21:27
Sobo thru hiker here. Yes. I was to Vermont in less than 6 weeks and was in no way hurrying.

Hikingjim
03-24-2016, 22:06
yeah, some days 10-12 miles will seem like a full day if you're not that fast, but you'll be fine if you don't have health issues like bad knees, etc

You can't feasibly go less than 10 miles a day anyway in many areas, or you'd be carrying way too much food and making it logistically very challenging to get through it

Hikingjim
03-24-2016, 22:09
http://assets.sectionhiker.com/wp-content/uploads/thumbskeep/IMG_2717.jpg

rafe
03-24-2016, 23:03
A thing about the White Mountains... weather can be ugly, and walking the bare ridges can be slow and outright dangerous in really bad weather. So, wise to allow for that. Those same ridges offer spectacular views when the weather's fine.

DavidNH
03-25-2016, 09:55
two months from north adams mass to Katahdin is enough time. But it is not what I would call plenty of time. Plan to make steady progress day after day. No puttering around in towns. a stretch of bad weather could slow you down.

hikernutcasey
03-25-2016, 13:43
Don't mean to highjack your thread but I'm just curious about how you plan on getting to North Adams? I am sectioning too and in a couple trips ahead I will be starting there and can't figure out the most feasible and cost effective way of getting to the trail there.

Slo-go'en
03-25-2016, 14:00
Don't mean to highjack your thread but I'm just curious about how you plan on getting to North Adams? I am sectioning too and in a couple trips ahead I will be starting there and can't figure out the most feasible and cost effective way of getting to the trail there.

Fly, bus or train to Boston, then bus to Williamstown, MA. There's a blue blaze trail which connects to the AT from Williamstown and you are shortly in Vermont. I believe the bus from Boston gets to Williamstown in the late afternoon, so there is time to get to the first shelter. Depending on the timing of arriving in Boston, you might have to spend the night there. I would recommend the American Youth Hostel as your least expensive lodging in Boston and is about a 10 minute walk from the bus terminal at south station.

woodsman
03-25-2016, 21:19
Flying into Albany and shuttled to N Adams.