PDA

View Full Version : Good food bag?

TheWhiteWalker
03-25-2016, 00:54
I was looking at getting the Zpacks Dry Bag that is 12.3L and 1.2oz made of Cuben Fiber for my food bag. Would you recommend this or something else for me?

I don't plan on sleeping in any shelters, just my tent. I would want it to hold 4-6 days worth of food. I would like for it to be lightweight. I have never camped in bear country, so I will probably start off hanging my food outside my tent in the elements until I grow a pair.

MuddyWaters
03-25-2016, 01:56
Dont depend on it being a dry bag forever, it gets a lot of wear.
I love my zpacks blast foodbags, predominately because they are the correct shape to fit in my packs efficiently, instead of some stupid round cylindrical shape that doesnt.

Using replaceable turkey bag as liner to improve water protection works, as well as greatly reduce smell

lonehiker
03-25-2016, 03:35
I was looking at getting the Zpacks Dry Bag that is 12.3L and 1.2oz made of Cuben Fiber for my food bag. Would you recommend this or something else for me?

I don't plan on sleeping in any shelters, just my tent. I would want it to hold 4-6 days worth of food. I would like for it to be lightweight. I have never camped in bear country, so I will probably start off hanging my food outside my tent in the elements until I grow a pair.

Nothing wrong with hanging your food. It is the responsible thing to do. It takes effort is why most don't...

soumodeler
03-25-2016, 07:34
It is a great lightweight food bag. As said above, not waterproof forever. Mine is over 2 years old and still going strong and I will buy another when it wears out.

Cheyou
03-25-2016, 07:50
I just use a cheep dry bag . 3 for $10 . Spent the savings on bourbon. Win win ;0)

Last Call
03-25-2016, 08:58
Wal-Mart sells sets of 3 dry bags for about $10, 3 different sizes, they come in Red, blue & yellow....best deal going!

Hosh
03-25-2016, 10:43
I got a Zpack bag for Christmas, it will work great, pricey. I plan to use it with Nylofume inner bags above tree line and hang it when possible. A Ursack would also would work, pricer still, looks like it has less volume

Hard to argue against the bourbon case.

colorado_rob
03-25-2016, 10:49
Last year I sprung for a set of three various size zpacks cuben sacks to save a couple ounces, kind of an experiment. I wound up not really liking the cuben bags. they seem to have already lost their waterproofness and they seem very flimsy. I'll still use them, but overall I'm disappointed.

For the record, I love the cuben zpacks tents (I own/use the hexamid solo+).

I'm back to using my trusty, 1.4 ounce 13 L sea-to-summit dry bag, the same weight as the zpacks cuben:

https://www.rei.com/product/777725/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-dry-sack

I can't verify the spec weight right now because it is stuffed with food and in my pack ready for a 1-week trip down in Guadalupe NP.

This STS dry sack lasted me an entire AT hike, still works fine, though I'm sure not as waterproof as when it was new. I like the roll-top/clip thing. 13L is a perfect size for 5 days of food, packed very carefully.

DuneElliot
03-25-2016, 10:55
I have a standard 20L dry bag with a roll-top closure I bought at the local ranch supply. I have some of the Walmart dry bags also and use them for small stuff but wanted a larger dry bag for my food bag. I'd rather have a little too much space in my food bag and be able to roll it down more times than not have enough space for what I need to carry and hang (food, cookwear and toiletries).

steve0423
03-25-2016, 11:00
I have a Zpacks roll top food bag with about 2800 miles onit including an AT thru. Plan to replaceit before a CO trip this summer with another like it. It’s held up well and I’ve been happy with it

misterfloyd
03-25-2016, 11:31
I have a granite gear 11 liter bag.

It is a roll top closure that vents out the excess air on the bottom.

Have used, and hung it, on every hike I have taken.

Very waterproof, has problem venting the excess air on the bottom when wet. To me no big deal. Other ways to deal with it.

It has worked very well as a solo bag. Weighs very little, costs less.

If I go with a group ie BSA I use something different.

My two cents. Hope it helps.

Floyd

Slo-go'en
03-25-2016, 11:49
I use the large dry sack from the Walmart variety pack. That's big enough for 4-5 days worth of food. Someday I would like to get a large Granite Gear side zipper bag so I don't have to dump the whole contents to find something.

Try to find a bag with neutral colors like green or gray. Bright colors can attract squirrels and they can get into a hung bag.

TwoSpirits
03-25-2016, 15:20
I never knew that about squirrels and bright colors. Interesting. I did read someone somewhere who said that bears are able to see brightly colored hang lines, and so then were able to easily slash down incorrectly hanged food bags.

Flash52
04-01-2016, 14:41
I use the bag for my zpacks duplex tent. It's light and it works great.

Hope this helps!

mortonjl
04-02-2016, 05:45
Ursak S29...