PDA

View Full Version : Noravirus Outbreak in Georgia?

nogray
03-25-2016, 10:01
A friend in Georgia told me local news is reporting a noravirus outbreak in Georgia.

Me and a few family members were going to hike the Georgia section next week. What does this mean to us? I'm wondering if we should find a different section, or if we're fine as long as we use basic sanitary precautions. Feels like walking into a timebomb.

::nogray

nogray
03-25-2016, 10:01
To be clear, the outbreak is in Georgia, along the trail.

saltysack
03-25-2016, 10:09
I'd just avoid shelters and any high traffic spots....filter water...maybe add drop off bleach also? I'm no expert..just my .02....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattjv89
03-25-2016, 10:10
You'll be fine with basic precautions. Don't shake hands with anyone, don't take food from a common source that has other people's hands in it, avoid the privies and shelters. Last part shouldn't be hard since every shelter is likely to be completely full right now.

WingedMonkey
03-25-2016, 10:32
Why would you want to take your family on the trail in Georgia in March/April?

MuddyWaters
03-25-2016, 10:44
Why would you want to take your family on the trail in Georgia in March/April?

Gotta second this.

What are you thinking?

Avoiding norovirus is simple, stay away from other people, dont touch things they touc

Jack Tarlin
03-25-2016, 10:49
I have been in Franklin for several weeks and have heard of nothing, repeat nothing of Noro south of here. In recent days, I have heard (un-confirmed, repeat, un-comfirmed) of folks getting ill just before the Smokies, like around Fontana Dam. Concerned folks should contact the Appalachian Trail Conservancy in Harpers Ferry for more information. As to the question "Why would you want to take your family on the Trail in Georgia in March/April, the answer is simple: The weather in Georgia in late March and April is usually glorious.

dudeijuststarted
03-25-2016, 11:03
I'd just avoid shelters and any high traffic spots....

In my experience, this might prove difficult! I can't remember a single campsite, shelter, or hostel in GA that wasn't packed to the gills in March, and April 1 is the most popular start date for thru hikes. The good news is that if god forbid someone does catch noro you have plenty of options to get off of the trail and into a hotel (not a hiker hostel!)

Follow everyone else's advice but I'd also recommend carrying hand wipes to clean up thoroughly before snacks and meals. Don't touch ANYTHING, not even the trees haha.

03-25-2016, 11:29
I got it last year. I did everything proper ie treated water, stayed in tent, ate at tent site. So I say if it is out there you will get it. I have taken my family to hike Georgia 6 times during spring break. I can say 50 to 75% of the folks on the trail in Georgia in spring are section hikers. There is just an air about the trail at that time of year. I say go for it. enjoy. BUT be sure to take plenty of pepto just in case. Their are bail out places everyday in case you do get sick. PS I have heard that alcohol hand sanitizer does not work for Noro. Not sure if that is a fact. So be sure to bring good old soap and a wash basin to wash your hands a good solid 2-3 min with soap and water.

Slo-go'en
03-25-2016, 11:38
Unless something changed, the outbreak was/is in the Smoky Mts, with the Fontana shelter thought to be the epicenter. The frequent posters on Trail journals haven't said much or anything about it, so it's limited or dissipated by now.

egilbe
03-25-2016, 13:03
Hand sanitizer doesn't work on Noro. Use soap and water to wash with.

nogray
03-25-2016, 14:31
It's my nephew, his father, and grandfather. It's our first section hike. We started to do the Smokies, but even though we tried to reserve 30 days out, there wasn't enough room at the shelters.

rafe
03-25-2016, 14:41
This Noro outbreak is getting to be an annual event, it seems.

Mountain Dog
03-25-2016, 15:04
More exposure in a mall than the trail. I just returned from a week in Georgia and did not see a problem. A lot of north bounders and you can bet the shelters/water holes will have a lot of people around them at night. Still, I did not detect any sicknesses, except from the hikers carrying too much. They were sick and tired of the packs.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2016, 15:13
A friend in Georgia told me local news is reporting a noravirus outbreak in Georgia.

Me and a few family members were going to hike the Georgia section next week. What does this mean to us? I'm wondering if we should find a different section, or if we're fine as long as we use basic sanitary precautions. Feels like walking into a timebomb.

::nograystay away from shelters, privies, and hostels

Ktaadn
03-25-2016, 15:43
stay away from shelters, privies, and hostels
You should probably do this regardless of any health concerns.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2016, 15:49
You should probably do this regardless of any health concerns.
i've seen hikers sit on the top of a picnic table at a shelter then a little while later a hiker sits down and puts a bagel where the azz was and spread p-nut butter on the bagel. this is how you get sick

burger
03-25-2016, 16:16
Too many people on the trail. Time for real quotas.

gpburdelljr
03-25-2016, 17:15
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/trail-updates

http://wlos.com/news/local/experts-advise-precautions-after-rash-of-stomach-ailments-on-appalachian-trail

rocketsocks
03-25-2016, 21:02
stay away from shelters, privies, and hostels
And picnic tables.

rocketsocks
03-25-2016, 21:03
i've seen hikers sit on the top of a picnic table at a shelter then a little while later a hiker sits down and puts a bagel where the azz was and spread p-nut butter on the bagel. this is how you get sick
Okay, just saw this...yup, filthy.

GreenBlaze
03-26-2016, 04:20
You can get this just about anywhere. Just make sure you've got soap/water and you're not touching anything some filthy dred-laden bum hiker has touched.

gbolt
03-26-2016, 09:17
http://wlos.com/news/local/experts-advise-precautions-after-rash-of-stomach-ailments-on-appalachian-trail

I watched a Video Blog of a Thru Hiker last night. He was entering the smokies and was trying to skip the first shelter because an ill hiker was coming back down to Fontana from there. He talked about the shelter rules for the smokies and how he wished he could continue in his tent. However, he did spend the first night in a shelter. The second was able to go to a tent because of numbers and the third was going to be in G Burg. That's where the vid stopped. So early reports from the trail are backing up this news link. However, as the article stated, no test yet to prove noro; which doesn't really matter. It's like blood born pathogens in medicine... Treat everything as contaminated and hand wash regularly. I also have switched to a fist bump instead of a handshake on the trail. Sometimes my hands are just to sweaty and grimy.

WingedMonkey
03-26-2016, 09:51
Just make sure you've got soap/water and you're not touching anything some filthy dred-laden bum hiker has touched.

making blanket statements and assumptions targeting a large group is absurd.

Uncle Joe
03-26-2016, 11:09
I would think avoiding shelters is the first line of defense. That greatly reduces the number of people you're contacting and thereby greatly reduces exposure. The rest you would be doing anyway: filtering, cleaning your hands etc.

sethd513
03-26-2016, 13:11
Glad I live in New England. Hopefully this thins the heard of nasty people that have no common decency for themselves or others before they get up here and ruin our trails for the season.

rafe
03-26-2016, 13:27
Glad I live in New England. Hopefully this thins the heard of nasty people that have no common decency for themselves or others before they get up here and ruin our trails for the season.

Kinda rude remark, but in any case: the herd thins naturally, for mostly other reasons, and that's what makes a norovirus outbreak (among thru hikers) much more likely in Georgia than in New England.

evyck da fleet
03-26-2016, 13:36
[QUOTE=sethd513;2054315]Glad I live in New England. Hopefully this thins the heard of nasty people that have no common decency for themselves or others before they get up here and ruin our trails for the season.

Just wait until the Sobos start and there will be an outbreak in NE. The people you refer to come from all over the country. Even the NE:eek:

Furlough
03-26-2016, 13:41
Not just rude, borders on ignorant. Wonder what the Lyme disease prognosis is this year.

rafe
03-26-2016, 13:52
Just wait until the Sobos start and there will be an outbreak in NE. The people you refer to come from all over the country. Even the NE:eek:

The density of southbound hikers isn't really sufficient to support the kind of annual Noro outbreak that we're seeing on the AT in Georgia. Another good reason to go sobo or flip-flop.

sethd513
03-26-2016, 14:09
Kinda rude remark, but in any case: the herd thins naturally, for mostly other reasons, and that's what makes a norovirus outbreak (among thru hikers) much more likely in Georgia than in New England.

How do you figure it's rude? Do you like hiking and camping on other people feces and toiletries they didn't mind leaving on top of the soil since they'll never be back again. I'm young and I find the majority of my generation and of younger generations really lack in their desire to be mindful of others. I apologize if you find my complaint rude but it's the world we live in. People aren't carrying about what they are doing so now others on the trail need to be me mindful. It's not fair to the person retired or that's worked his/her whole life and wanted to do this for years to finally be able to then have to leave or be seriously hurt/sick because of lack of common sense. I don't wish bad on anyone and I can see how my blunt comment might be taken that way.

sethd513
03-26-2016, 14:14
Not just rude, borders on ignorant. Wonder what the Lyme disease prognosis is this year.

There are plenty of worries to deal with in the world we live in. All I'm saying is if people were more conscientious of themselves and their surroundings someone issues we bring to the table would be lessened.

twistwrist
03-26-2016, 14:18
As one of 8 ridgerunners from GA through the Smokies, as of last Monday's weekly conference call, we all have heard of fewer than 5 people who have reported being sick on the A.T. It's not an epidemic as the rumor says. If this changes, I will be sure to let you all know. Just be smart. Wash your hands AWAY from water sources. Don't share food. During my thru-hike, I used sanitizing wipes to clean my spoon and dishes before using. I also advise people to consider wiping the shelter log pens, the privy door handles, anywhere a lot of people touch. Just please refrain from throwing the wipes into the privies. They do NOT decompose, and sweet volunteers who don't get paid have to literally fish those out of people's poop.
Not an epidemic, but definitely reason to exercise caution. Who wants to fight stomach sickness when you're supposed to be enjoying life in the woods for a while!? :)

twistwrist
03-26-2016, 14:41
If you do get sick out there, please report any stomach bug on trail to [email protected]

George
03-26-2016, 14:44
How do you figure it's rude? Do you like hiking and camping on other people feces and toiletries they didn't mind leaving on top of the soil since they'll never be back again. I'm young and I find the majority of my generation and of younger generations really lack in their desire to be mindful of others. I apologize if you find my complaint rude but it's the world we live in. People aren't carrying about what they are doing so now others on the trail need to be me mindful. It's not fair to the person retired or that's worked his/her whole life and wanted to do this for years to finally be able to then have to leave or be seriously hurt/sick because of lack of common sense. I don't wish bad on anyone and I can see how my blunt comment might be taken that way.

elitest snobs, like racists generally do not recognize rudeness in themselves

sethd513
03-26-2016, 14:51

Oh boy. Well let me just formally apologize for everyone offended and the ones that will be offended after they read what I wrote.

admirald7s
03-26-2016, 16:02
Oh boy. Well let me just formally apologize for everyone offended and the ones that will be offended after they read what I wrote.

You were fine. I've noticed a small group of folks on here who cannot distinguish between "reality presented bluntly" and a personal attack on the unicorn and rainbow paradise that I believe they live in. Don't let them bother you.

evyck da fleet
03-26-2016, 20:21
The density of southbound hikers isn't really sufficient to support the kind of annual Noro outbreak that we're seeing on the AT in Georgia. Another good reason to go sobo or flip-flop.

True it is more likely to occur annually among Nobos. I only know that in '12 I was in Erwin the day the CDC was there and no one mentioned anything about a virus until two days later once I had hiked thru most of the sick people but when I got to the Whites there were flyers at shelters warning of a virus that had started around Andover. At least now, they get the word out beforehand to northbounders if they're willing to look.

Jeff
03-27-2016, 06:58

A couple of years ago there was a serious Noro outbreak between Gorham, NH and Andover, ME during the thruhiker bubble in August.

Traveler
03-27-2016, 07:54

et tu ........

sethd513
03-27-2016, 08:02
A couple of years ago there was a serious Noro outbreak between Gorham, NH and Andover, ME during the thruhiker bubble in August.

My opinion doesn't discriminate. Hand sanitizer is only a dollar.

Furlough
03-27-2016, 08:28
You were fine. I've noticed a small group of folks on here who cannot distinguish between "reality presented bluntly" and a personal attack on the unicorn and rainbow paradise that I believe they live in. Don't let them bother you.

....or is it that those you now are attempting to denigrate do have a better handle on fact based reality. While the noro issue could be because of a lack of sanitation among hikers, it could also be from other factors. See below - incidentally this news article is from New England. Just saying here that the noro issue down south is not necessarily caused by "nasty people that have no common decency for themselves or others" as sethd513 labels the backpackers suffering from noro. That is what was/is rude and ignorant about his post. By the way I do not believe in unicorns and my reality is far from the accepted definition of paradise.

Newton, MA - Health officials have determined that it was a norovirus that sickened about 80 people over the weekend who ate at a Boston-area Chipotle Mexican Grill. Initial estimates suggested 25-30 customers had become ill.
“Yes, we believe it is a norovirus linked to only one restaurant, a sentiment shared by local health officials,” Chipotle officials said in a statement.

Health officials have found three violations that include chicken and steak not being held at proper temperatures, and an employee working while ill. The Boston Food Services Inspection Department has issued a temporary suspension (http://www.cityofboston.gov/isd/health/mfc/viewinsp.asp?inspno=278271) of the Chipotle on Beacon Street in Cleveland Circle.
“Norovirus is usually transmitted from the feces to the mouth, either by drinking contaminated food or water or by passing from person to person,” according to Foodborne Illness (http://www.foodborneillness.com/norovirus_food_poisoning/). “Because noroviruses are easily transmitted, are resistant to common disinfectants, and are hard to contain using normal sanitary measures, they can cause extended outbreaks.”

Furlough
03-27-2016, 08:34
My opinion doesn't discriminate. Hand sanitizer is only a dollar.

Discrimination sometimes is better defined by those being discriminated against, than those doing the discriminating.

By the way - from the CDC IRT to sanitizers:
Practice proper hand hygiene

Wash your hands carefully with soap and water—

especially after using the toilet and changing diapers, and
always before eating, preparing, or handling food.

Noroviruses can be found in your vomit or stool even before you start feeling sick. The virus can stay in your stool for 2 weeks or more after you feel better. So, it is important to continue washing your hands often during this time.
Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used in addition to hand washing. But, they should not be used as a substitute for washing with soap and water.

sethd513
03-27-2016, 09:18
....or is it that those you now are attempting to denigrate do have a better handle on fact based reality. While the noro issue could be because of a lack of sanitation among hikers, it could also be from other factors. See below - incidentally this news article is from New England. Just saying here that the noro issue down south is not necessarily caused by "nasty people that have no common decency for themselves or others" as sethd513 labels the backpackers suffering from noro. That is what was/is rude and ignorant about his post. By the way I do not believe in unicorns and my reality is far from the accepted definition of paradise.

Newton, MA - Health officials have determined that it was a norovirus that sickened about 80 people over the weekend who ate at a Boston-area Chipotle Mexican Grill. Initial estimates suggested 25-30 customers had become ill.
“Yes, we believe it is a norovirus linked to only one restaurant, a sentiment shared by local health officials,” Chipotle officials said in a statement.

Health officials have found three violations that include chicken and steak not being held at proper temperatures, and an employee working while ill. The Boston Food Services Inspection Department has issued a temporary suspension (http://www.cityofboston.gov/isd/health/mfc/viewinsp.asp?inspno=278271) of the Chipotle on Beacon Street in Cleveland Circle.
“Norovirus is usually transmitted from the feces to the mouth, either by drinking contaminated food or water or by passing from person to person,” according to Foodborne Illness (http://www.foodborneillness.com/norovirus_food_poisoning/). “Because noroviruses are easily transmitted, are resistant to common disinfectants, and are hard to contain using normal sanitary measures, they can cause extended outbreaks.”

Furlough, we are talking about GA. The op was worried about getting sick in GA. The op is planning a cheap informative possibly life changing trip for him and his family. People being inconsiderate of their actions lead to them potentially having to miss out. Hopefully it clears up and people can enjoy their time away. I'm glad there isn't an issue YET in my area. It's unfortunate others are dealing with it else where. Instead of over analyzing my post maybe your time would be better spent helping homeless children in third world countries have clean water and something to eat. Or helping in my area with the herioin boom we are seeing. Maybe donating more of your paycheck to people that can't/don't want to work. Are there issues in your home town that upset you?

Hand sanitizer isn't a substitute but it's better then washing away soap into a water source like is sometimes on the trail. Hand sanitizer seems more idiot proof. Thanks for the Yelp review on chipotle that isn't even near the trail btw. The fact of the matter is you either dig or you don't. I'm pointing the finger at the ones that don't. One bad apple can ruin the bunch. Nothing will change unless everyone is on board and that will clearly NEVER happen in my life time.

TexasBob
03-27-2016, 09:36
....While the noro issue could be because of a lack of sanitation among hikers, it could also be from other factors.........“Norovirus is usually transmitted from the feces to the mouth, either by drinking contaminated food or water or by passing from person to person,”

If that's not a lack of sanitation I don't know what would be. It all starts with somebody not washing their hands after contact with their feces or their private parts.

JumpMaster Blaster
03-27-2016, 10:52

Wow, that's a pretty salty remark. There's an outbreak of Noro because there's no running water or indoor plumbing and poor hygiene practices. It's bound to happen, especially with the sheer number of people on the trail.

And yeah, some of these nasty people hiking down south are certainly from NE.

JumpMaster Blaster
03-27-2016, 10:54

Perhaps instead of exclaiming how nasty people are on an internet forum, you do some outreach and teach LNT to your fellow hikers.

Bronk
03-27-2016, 11:16
I work in an office that employs about 15 people. I almost never get sick. I've called in sick once in 10 years. Last year norovirus made its way through the office and I got it...out of the 15 people in the office 7 ended up getting it. And after the first person we were wiping everything down with clorox 3 times a day. If you're in close quarters with people who have it, you're going to get it. It only lasts for a day or so, you'll get over it.

gpburdelljr
03-27-2016, 12:52
Wow, that's a pretty salty remark. There's an outbreak of Noro because there's no running water or indoor plumbing and poor hygiene practices. It's bound to happen, especially with the sheer number of people on the trail.

And yeah, some of these nasty people hiking down south are certainly from NE.

sethd513 wasn't talking about, or being critical, of southerners, he was talking about the large crowds that start in the spring in the south, and those people are from all over the country. A combination of large crowds, with many of the people unprepared and not understanding LNT and basic trail hygiene all contribute to norovirus outbreaks.

Furlough
03-27-2016, 13:15
Furlough, we are talking about GA. The op was worried about getting sick in GA. The op is planning a cheap informative possibly life changing trip for him and his family. People being inconsiderate of their actions lead to them potentially having to miss out. Hopefully it clears up and people can enjoy their time away. I'm glad there isn't an issue YET in my area. It's unfortunate others are dealing with it else where. Instead of over analyzing my post maybe your time would be better spent helping homeless children in third world countries have clean water and something to eat. Or helping in my area with the herioin boom we are seeing. Maybe donating more of your paycheck to people that can't/don't want to work. Are there issues in your home town that upset you?

Hand sanitizer isn't a substitute but it's better then washing away soap into a water source like is sometimes on the trail. Hand sanitizer seems more idiot proof. Thanks for the Yelp review on chipotle that isn't even near the trail btw. The fact of the matter is you either dig or you don't. I'm pointing the finger at the ones that don't. One bad apple can ruin the bunch. Nothing will change unless everyone is on board and that will clearly NEVER happen in my life time.

Well, you certainly just proved one of my favorite sayings to be true - "Reading is fundamental, comprehension is not" You brought up New England not me, you - not me called out folks who you have no details on, assuming they were nasty people. Getting a bit over defensive now are you not? High school level debate tactic to bring up issues having nothing to with norovirus/original OP (homeless children and clean water) to deflect away from the real topic/issue. Come on man use your brain for some critical thinking. Of course the chipotle is not near the trail, really was not the point, but I suspect you may know that, but are being obtuse because in your heart of hearts you know your name calling was wrong. Much more mature ways to make your point.

Let me simplify for you. Of course norovirus is an issue. Stick to that, and providing constructive commentary and stay away from the name calling. Then you won't have old farts like me chiming in about rudeness and ignorance, well that may not be 100% correct given the history here on WB. :D

GolfHiker
03-27-2016, 13:29
Simple Question. When you say soap, can I assume Dr. Bonners or Campsuds will qualify, or should I pack some Irish Spring? I already carry the former, but could always pack the latter if needed.

gpburdelljr
03-27-2016, 13:46
Simple Question. When you say soap, can I assume Dr. Bonners or Campsuds will qualify, or should I pack some Irish Spring? I already carry the former, but could always pack the latter if needed.

What soap you use doesn't really matter, just use it to throughly wash your hands.

sethd513
03-27-2016, 13:51
Well, you certainly just proved one of my favorite sayings to be true - "Reading is fundamental, comprehension is not" You brought up New England not me, you - not me called out folks who you have no details on, assuming they were nasty people. Getting a bit over defensive now are you not? High school level debate tactic to bring up issues having nothing to with norovirus/original OP (homeless children and clean water) to deflect away from the real topic/issue. Come on man use your brain for some critical thinking. Of course the chipotle is not near the trail, really was not the point, but I suspect you may know that, but are being obtuse because in your heart of hearts you know your name calling was wrong. Much more mature ways to make your point.

Let me simplify for you. Of course norovirus is an issue. Stick to that, and providing constructive commentary and stay away from the name calling. Then you won't have old farts like me chiming in about rudeness and ignorance, well that may not be 100% correct given the history here on WB. :D

I'm not being over defensive or trying to make a high school debate about something I know nothing about because I'm not physically there. Im just saying gross people do gross things. There are people out there that are clean and are not. Doesn't matter where they are from, how they look it's just who they are as people. It's their choice. They probably don't even comprehend how their actions remotely effect the area around them. And if they do then they just don't care and I could say much worse about those.

The issue here is that the op is concerned for his family's health and safty. Not the chipotle in Newton ma that had an outbreak. Going down that root brought me to global concerns. This is a fickle discussion. I was being inconsiderate of those sick the way I worded things but I feel my point is valid. Dig a hole. Wash your hands! Plenty people don't.

Bronk
03-27-2016, 14:01
Most liquids that are sold as soap are actually a detergent. They are chemically two different things. Real soap is better because it completely breaks down.

Slo-go'en
03-27-2016, 14:17
For the 1000th time, Hand sanitizer does not work for norovirus. Wipes are slightly more effective since there is a chance the virus will wipe off onto the cloth.

Mild food poisoning can also be mistaken for norovirus. There are plenty of ways to get an upset tummy or the squirts on the trail. Binging on greasy food in town can produce some bad results the next day.

gpburdelljr
03-27-2016, 14:23
Most liquids that are sold as soap are actually a detergent. They are chemically two different things. Real soap is better because it completely breaks down.

Dr Bonners and Campsuds are both soaps and biodegradable.

MuddyWaters
03-27-2016, 14:32
What makes norovirus persistent is it can live for weeks on surfaces and clothing.

sethd513
03-27-2016, 14:45
For the 1000th time, Hand sanitizer does not work for norovirus. Wipes are slightly more effective since there is a chance the virus will wipe off onto the cloth.

Mild food poisoning can also be mistaken for norovirus. There are plenty of ways to get an upset tummy or the squirts on the trail. Binging on greasy food in town can produce some bad results the next day.

What do you suggest for wipes? I've used a couple different kinds but they seam to be scented and something neutral that works well would seem best. Or would you suggest filtering water and using a small amount of soap to wipe down?

JohnHuth
03-27-2016, 14:56
I carry a bottle of concentrated biodegradable soap, and am conscious of washing whenever the occasion calls for it: doing number one or number two, or touching surfaces that a lot of people come in contact with. Fist-bump, as opposed to shake hands, avoid shelters - treat most surfaces as possible germ sources. I was down in NC during the start of last year's bubble and was generally aware of keeping things clean. Fortunately, nothing bad emerged.

Good to hear that nothing major is brewing at the moment!

Definitely enjoy the time and don't freak out about it, just be aware.

rafe
03-27-2016, 14:58
What makes norovirus persistent is it can live for weeks on surfaces and clothing.

As far as clothing goes, one would hope it gets washed down thoroughly from time to time. I dunno how long this virus lives on exposed wood surfaces, but like Slo says, not every trailside illness is Norovirus.

TexasBob
03-27-2016, 18:41
What soap you use doesn't really matter, just use it to throughly wash your hands.

Exactly, soap and water remove the virus and other germs from your skin so it doesn't make any difference what soap or detergent you use. I saw some research that showed that hand sanitizer was not very effective because the alcohol in the sanitizer did not kill the virus and did not remove it from the skin. The study showed that rinsing your hands in plain water was better for Norvovirus prevention than hand sanitizer.

sethd513
03-27-2016, 19:34
I think the common misconception with hand sanitizer is that you can't just squirt it on, slap your hands twice and your all set. For the sanitizer to be effective you need the friction created by rubbing you hands together. Just like proper soap and water hand washing technique the act should take atleast 20 seconds. "It has been credited in studies as an effective tool in outbreak control but can't be relied upon as the primary means of preventing the infection." This brings us back to proper trail etiquette. Staying away from water sources, digging a hole atleast 6 inches deep but the deeper the better. Trowels work much better then trekking poles. Then wash up. Sometimes you won't have clean water to wash with. Keeping filters and bottles clean and handling them with care goes a long way.

Pedaling Fool
03-28-2016, 06:08

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah, New England is really a great place... http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/03/27/pez-easter-egg-hunt/

An Easter egg hunt in Connecticut ended with parents scrambling to save their kids.

WCBS 880’s Kelly Waldron reportshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/03/27/pez-easter-egg-hunt/#) parents ignored the staggered start times at the PEZ Visitor Center for different age groups and rushed the three fields, snatching eggs right out of children’s baskets and even knocking them over.

Traveler
03-28-2016, 07:22
Yeah, New England is really a great place... http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/03/27/pez-easter-egg-hunt/

Lack of adult behavior abounds in all States. Now, back to topic?

BonBon
03-28-2016, 08:10
I thought the trail was overall very clean and well maintained when i hiked last year. The one thing though that was prevalent was the practice of pooping and just covering with leaves, not digging a hole. Toilet paper was not buried or packed out-frequently. At first I thought maybe it was mostly day hikers because I made the assumption that thru and section hikers would be taking care of that in the right way- but in the Priest shelter log, the number one "confession" was people saying they didn't bury their waste. I saw big bombs 2 feet from the trail and it was pretty gross. That seems like an easy way to spread disease, and one that is wholly preventable. With so many people on the trail, NOT burying your own waste is extremely irresponsible, rude, and lazy.

Traveler
03-28-2016, 09:28
I thought the trail was overall very clean and well maintained when i hiked last year. The one thing though that was prevalent was the practice of pooping and just covering with leaves, not digging a hole. Toilet paper was not buried or packed out-frequently. At first I thought maybe it was mostly day hikers because I made the assumption that thru and section hikers would be taking care of that in the right way- but in the Priest shelter log, the number one "confession" was people saying they didn't bury their waste. I saw big bombs 2 feet from the trail and it was pretty gross. That seems like an easy way to spread disease, and one that is wholly preventable. With so many people on the trail, NOT burying your own waste is extremely irresponsible, rude, and lazy.

No need to wonder why privies have been placed on the trail in higher numbers....

LittleRock
03-28-2016, 12:56
The hostel owners I talked to said norovirus happens every spring along the AT between the NOC and Damascus. The hostels get the worst of it because that's where the sick hikers go to recover. They get stuck deep cleaning their entire bunkhouse every time they get a case, and after that they get rewarded with a week of slow business while they wait for the rumors to pass through the grapevine.

Hangfire
04-01-2016, 19:58
Most of the shelters on approach to Damascus had huge bottles of hand sanitize on the picnic tables. This is where I stopped washing my hands and started using hand sanitizer, it's also where i got noro virus. It definitely sucks to deal with on the trail but something everyone should think out in advance, plan on keeping your distance from other hikers and showing proper courtesy. I remember camping in wood chucks yard a few days afterwards along with several other recovering hikers who were excited to go in and eat at the pizza buffet...I wanted to strangle them.

George
04-08-2016, 13:26
et tu ........

yes, me to - I do not deny it

garminator
04-11-2016, 19:34
Well, have there been any recent reports of NV on the GA section of the trail?

JLorenzo77
04-12-2016, 12:32
I work in infectious diseases and norovirus is common when people congregate in places. Soap and water and common sense go a long way. Hand sanitizers can be used but only in conjunction with hand washing. Don't share utensils, avoid handshakes and try to avoid hand to face contact. It's highly contagious but can be managed. Don't get me wrong, it sucks and makes you miserable and I can't imagine being anywhere but my own home when I experience it.

turtle fast
04-13-2016, 02:24
It is just comes down to good old fashioned hygiene. Wash your hands anytime after you toilet, as well as before you eat. I've seen way too many toilet paper mounds in close proximity to springs. Especially in areas above the springs! I remember in the Smokeys at Russel Field shelter the piles of poo on top of the soil just feet away from the spring and above it too. It was disgusting and a recipe for a disaster.

Pedaling Fool
04-26-2016, 06:37
Wow! Maybe we should start filtering our bottled water, at least the water from Andorra:D

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bottled-water-infects-over-4-000-people-spain-183316579.html

Excerpt:

Barcelona (AFP) - More than 4,000 people fell ill with norovirus in northeastern Spain after drinking bottled spring water contaminated with human faecal matter, local health officials said Monday.The health department of the regional government of Catalonia said 4,146 people were treated for symptoms including nausea, vomiting, and fever in Barcelona and Tarragona after drinking the contaminated water from office water coolers. Six needed hospital treatment.

"It is the first time in the world that norovirus has been found in bottled water," said Albert Bosch, a microbiology professor at the University of Barcelona, who was in charge of the analysis of the contaminated water.

rocketsocks
04-26-2016, 06:53
My first thought is it's probably more the delivery system (cooler) than the water itself, those things can get pretty nasty if not properly maintained.

Traveler
04-26-2016, 07:26
My first thought is it's probably more the delivery system (cooler) than the water itself, those things can get pretty nasty if not properly maintained.

That happens a lot in places where people congregate like tailgating and other activities that people move from cooler to cooler making the cooler water the vehicle.

FatMan
04-26-2016, 07:50
For the record, even though this thread continues on for many weeks, there has not been any norovirus outbreak in Georgia this year. Maybe the mods should change the title of this thread and take out the references to GA. It is always a good thing to discuss prevention, but fueling false rumors should be shut down.

mandolindave
04-26-2016, 08:13
Prevention from getting the virus is one thing, prevention from spreading it is another. Easier said than done. Scientist at a medical lab told me that time spent washing and rinsing is key. ( at least 60 seconds ) You probably need more water than most hikers carry. You need to " drop a deuce " away from water. I suspect that dirty underwear might be another transmitter.

Greenlight
04-26-2016, 08:51
Every time you "got the $h!ts" in your life and said "I got the stomach flu" or "I think I got food poisoning" ... you had Norovirus.

As a virus, the most effective ways of preventing the spread are good hygiene and social distancing.

Hygiene recommendations are to wash your hands with soap and water before and after eating, using the privy, touching other people, or touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with your hands. That said, don't NOT use hand sanitizer just because "it isn't as effective as soap and water." It still kills a lot of the buggers. Use hand san as a bridging measure until you can get to a place where you can use soap and water. Like if you do shake hands with someone you meet on the trail. And when you use hand san, don't rub it in. Use a quarter sized squirt, spread it thoroughly on your hands and let it air dry.

Wash your gear and clothes at every opportunity when you zero, and spray your pack and sleeping bag with Lysol or another disinfectant spray.

Not everyone who gets noro gets five days of projectile diarrhea. It might pass in a single day if your immune system is in top shape. Then again, it can put you down for half a week.

In a nutshell, keep your hands clean all the time and you probably won't get it.

I'd just avoid shelters and any high traffic spots....filter water...maybe add drop off bleach also? I'm no expert..just my .02....