PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry hike/camping

Chagy7
03-25-2016, 11:01
I'm planning a trip to Baxter at the end of April for 5 days with one other buddy of mine. We're looking for a cool place to hike and camp backcountry hopefully near a river. Any advice on where to go?

VITCHELO
03-25-2016, 11:14
I'm planning a trip to Baxter at the end of April for 5 days with one other buddy of mine. We're looking for a cool place to hike and camp backcountry hopefully near a river. Any advice on where to go?

Hi Chaguy7, i think you can check this link for a full map and some interesting details...=> http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/

Slo-go'en
03-25-2016, 11:26
Baxter typically doesn't open up it's trails until the middle of May. There is currently still a lot of snow up there and then you have to wait for all that to melt and mud season to pass before they open up the roads. You will also need to get the proper reservations.

Chagy7
03-25-2016, 12:01
Are you saying that you can't use the park?? Are there no parking lots open to hike in from and I know that they have some trails open in the winter time. I'm not looking to go on the at just want to go to the lesser used parts of the park to camp and hike.

mattjv89
03-25-2016, 12:05
I'm interested in recommendations too, thinking of a fall trip to explore some more Maine trail and this thread inspired me to pull out the BSP map and start plotting.. Does anyone have firsthand experience with the typical lead time needed for reservations to non Katahdin trailheads? It's my preferred style to assess the weather and reserve a few days beforehand but not if that's likely to shut me out of everywhere.

dudeijuststarted
03-25-2016, 12:13
Just go into the 100 mile south from Abol Bridge. Water, water everywhere.

Slo-go'en
03-25-2016, 14:15
Are you saying that you can't use the park?? Are there no parking lots open to hike in from and I know that they have some trails open in the winter time. I'm not looking to go on the at just want to go to the lesser used parts of the park to camp and hike.

Yes, the park is shut down for mud season. The roads are dirt and are closed to traffic until they dry out. Exactly when that happens varies year by year. Winter use is by snowmobile or by skiing in from the park entrance gate.

I just checked the park's on line reservation charts and they show 0 campsites available after March 31st. (winter season ends April 1st and summer season doesn't start until May 15th, conditions permitting). Looks like they are already booked solid for the season.

rafe
03-25-2016, 14:32
"One does not simply show up at Baxter" and expect to camp where one pleases. Best get onto the Baxter State Park website and investigate. Camping is only permitted at established facilities and permits need to be obtained, usually well in advance.

As mentioned -- south of Abol bridge you're outside of BSP and more free to do as you please.

rafe
03-25-2016, 15:01

I can't comment on the mud-season issue or the actual opening date for various trailheads within BSP. I can tell you about my first visit to Baxter, not knowing any of the rules. Luckily, we showed up early enough to obtain day entry. There wasn't enough time to get to Katahdin summit and back in one day, so we did a hike up South Turner Mtn., past Sandy Stream Pond. We were impressed enough that we went through "proper channels" to get shelter space at Chimney Pond the following two summers.

rafe
03-25-2016, 15:14

Forget Baxter. You'll enjoy the northern half of the wilderness between Abol Bridge and Monson. It's almost all lakes and streams, one after another. Several of the AT shelters and campsites are stream-side or lake-side. End of April, on the other hand, might be problematic -- there may still be some snow, streams will be very high. And mud, lots of mud. And just after all that, bugs. There's a reason that southbound thru-hikers start in June and July.

On a normal year I'd say no way, but the northeast has had precious little snowfall this year. Not sure how the snowfall was (compared to average) this year in that part of Maine. My hiking buddy and I got turned back by high water on a hike last weekend up Mt. Kinsman in NH.

egilbe
03-25-2016, 18:20
They had a few feet in Baxter this year. Low snow year. Park will probably be closed most of April, but I wouldn't be surprised if it opens earlier than May 15th, but that is not my call to make. There aren't many rivers/streams or lakes in BSP because the park is mostly taken up by this huge rock pile. April is a terrible month in Maine.

Heliotrope
03-25-2016, 22:20
"One does not simply show up at Baxter" and expect to camp where one pleases. Best get onto the Baxter State Park website and investigate. Camping is only permitted at established facilities and permits need to be obtained, usually well in advance.

As mentioned -- south of Abol bridge you're outside of BSP and more free to do as you please.

"That would be folly"

In April in Maine, come check out Acadia National Park. Crowd free. Trails pretty much snow free already. Downside is no backcountry camping. You could camp at Blackwoods campground as a base and hike every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chagy7
03-26-2016, 19:17
Ok so Baxter is out then has anyone been to Scraggly Lake before looks a lot more friendly to backcountry activities