PDA

View Full Version : Blisters from coarse insoles possible?

miko0618
03-25-2016, 21:22
I've never gotten blisters backpacking. I got a pair of Keen boots recently. I loaded up my pack and did a 6 mile trial hike with zero issues. I just came back from a 27 mile trip and after about 7 miles in the balls by my big toe were raw feeling. By 10, I had blisters. On day 2 I wore 2 pairs of socks. This trail was steep so there was slippage where there wasn't on my trial hike. What it felt like was the insole was very coarse. Is it possible to get blisters from a coarse insole?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

miko0618
03-25-2016, 21:24
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160326/470cf3182112ac34c8aa962700718eba.jpg these are the insoles

SkeeterPee
03-25-2016, 22:56
I would think so. I wear out my runners walking daily with a 30 lb pack for conditioning. When those insoles start getting rough it wears out the socks and can cause blisters.

Traveler
03-26-2016, 05:01
Something has to move to cause blisters, if the insole is too rough, the sock may be gripping it and your foot is moving inside the sock. Two ways to determine whats causing it; get new insoles with a smoother surface, or; use a liner sock. See if the problem reoccurs with either of those two solutions. If it does, its the boot. If not, it was the insole.

MuddyWaters
03-26-2016, 05:51
Are you saying you only broke boots in by hiking 6 miles beforehand?

Theres really no way to say what caused a blister.

Except that to say your feet were not accustomed to the forces they were subjected to.

You can hike 20 mpd with no blisters, but get them if you push to 30.
You can carry 30 lbs with no blisters, but get them if you carry 45
Etc.

Could an insole texture contribute? Possibly. Its NOT the root cause however, but it might be enough to push you over the edge. Then again it might not.

CamelMan
03-26-2016, 08:02
If your feet are slipping around, try heel lock lacing (http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm) (edit: never mind, you said 'boots', so I suppose the top part of the boot should do this for you). Personally I don't use liner socks because the only time I ever had bad blisters was when liner socks were slipping around generating heat (apparently) but YMMV.

Lyle
03-26-2016, 08:51
Uphill vs downhill can make a difference. Loose fit vs tight fit can make a difference. Since most of us have switched to light weight boots or even trail runners, lacing and fit has become less of an issue, and thus often ignored.

For sustained downhill, make sure your toes are snug when you lace them, an extra double granny knot right at the top of your metatarsals will hold this tight toe lacing. Cross the laces over after tying this knot, before you continue lacing up the boot. Leave the upper lacing more relaxed.

For sustained uphill, lace just the opposite of the above.

Keeping the toes snug for down hill keeps your foot from sliding forward with each step, but is less comfortable for all-day, diverse angle hiking.

Pain in the rear to change your lacing, but less of a pain than blisters.

Blisters used to be a fact of life for me when backpacking, no longer since I switched to trail runners. If you are using actual boots, try out some trail runners. Try double socks, single socks, heavy socks, light weight socks, use body glide, no body glide, use antiperspirant on feet, no antiperspirant. Often it is trial and error until you find the combination that works. Also, if you are using snug fitting boots, try some looser fitting, if you are using loose fitting, try something more snug.

Lower mileage/day is always wise until your feet toughen, even then, some folk's feet just do not tolerate high mileage days. Do you want to make miles or enjoy a pain-free hike, it's a personal decision.

Good Luck.

miko0618
03-26-2016, 13:50
I went from salomon mids to keen mids. I have trail runners but haven't made the switch. I was thinking it gripped the sock and when my feet slid it rubbed the sock instead of the sock and insole rubbing. There was a few good, steep descents that probably did it. But I never had this with my Salomons. I've done 20 mile days and steep ascent/descents with no issue. I mean, sore feet yes but not blisters.

CamelMan
03-26-2016, 16:44
Do they feel weak and flimsy like the Merrells I'm wearing in this picture (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61638&catid=member&imageuser=28355)? I wouldn't expect the boot part to hold my feet steady in those. I didn't see the point of having them be higher at all, actually, they felt like bedroom slippers LOL. My new subtropical "winter" boots are Salomon XA Pros, which are really awesome, except I bought the non-Goretex, non-waterproof version that takes a week to dry. What I'm trying to say, after a couple of ales, is, why not switch back to the Salomons you know and like?

edit: Of course, if somebody hasn't mentioned this before, you can replace your insoles with after-market insoles. There are plenty for sale, probably because some people recommend removing the "useless" ones that come factory installed.

miko0618
03-27-2016, 11:17
I immediately replaced the insoles when I got back. I guess I was trying to pinpoint the blister issue without trying another hike in them. The reason I went with the keen is for the wider width. My salomons are 13's because I need the bigger boot for width but not the length. My keens are 12's. I have an in between shoe size but can wear a wide 12. My Salmons are a bit heavier but seem to be better made. Better padding for sure. I only wear the mids for protection really. I don't think I even tie them tight enough at the top to lock my ankle in anyway.