PDA

View Full Version : hiking Harpers Ferry to MD/PA line with a dog

Kristeninmb
03-26-2016, 11:23
I am fostering a dog that is a 1 year lab/hound/retriever mix and may have an opportunity to adopt her, so I am working on training her for the trail. She was not treated nicely by were first family and has a a lot of anxiety issues that we are working on. I would like to do a section hike from Harpers Ferry to the MD/PA line with her in the fall. So my question is are there a lot of obstacles i.e.. ladders, rock jumping, etc. in this section. or is it just normal trail walking. would hate to get out there and find an obstacle that scares her and we have to turn back. I want her to enjoy this as much as I do.

thank you in advance for all your sage wisdom.

K

One Half
03-26-2016, 11:34
a dog with anxiety issues could be a danger to others. I appreciate you trying to rehabilitate her but please make sure she stays on leash and doesn't bite someone due to her anxiety.

Slo-go'en
03-26-2016, 12:36
I don't think there are any significant obstacles for a dog on that stretch, but it is rocky which can be a problem for the paws. A bigger issue is that water is scarce and a real pain to get to. In the fall some of the water sources could be dry and it could be a long, long way to the next one.

joec
03-28-2016, 09:07
I did this about 5 years ago. I found it easy to walk and should be great with a dog. It is 41 miles if I remember correctly, with many state parks etc to walk through.

displacedbeatnik
03-28-2016, 09:31
I have seen dogs on pretty much all of this stretch of all shapes and sizes. Except on the weekends, this stretch is pretty sparsely populated in the fall so it might be a good transition section for a dog with anxiety.

SkeeterPee
03-28-2016, 12:36
I've done about half of that and it is rocky, but saw lots of dogs. Someone mentioned leashes, and I am pretty sure they are required in MD. I would not be worried about the difficulty of the terrain. However there can be lots of people on the weekends. Irobably pass 100 day hikers at least on the popular overlooks on a Sat and Sunday. So if that might cause a problem for your dog, I would think going during week would be better or perhaps later in the fall and less people would be hiking.

dudeijuststarted
03-28-2016, 12:45
If you're planning on the section hike in the fall then you can get out onto some trails this spring/summer and see how she behaves around people in nature. The dogs I've seen "succeed" over distances have been pretty self-sufficient, leading and catching up with the pack instinctively and without a leash.

Your pace should be at least 2 mph steady with the dog on your training hikes. If she requires alot of wrangling it might not be the best idea.

displacedbeatnik
03-28-2016, 12:53
Someone mentioned leashes, and I am pretty sure they are required in MD. I would not be worried about the difficulty of the terrain. However there can be lots of people on the weekends. Irobably pass 100 day hikers at least on the popular overlooks on a Sat and Sunday.

100 might be a conservative estimate. On the weekends, since most of the stretch through Maryland runs close to civilization, there will actually be quite a few people out walking dogs. I have only seen a few without leashes. Maryland does leash laws by county. You'll be almost exclusively in Washington County in Maryland (the ridge line actually mark the borderline between it and Frederick County though so occasionally you'll be in Frederick) and neither that I can find, have leash laws.

I found this site to help with the jurisdictional laws on dogs: https://www.animallaw.info/topic/table-state-dog-leash-laws

CoffeeBru
03-28-2016, 23:11
I hike this section of the trail all the time with my 70# hound dog. You won't have any trouble with ladders or rock jumping. There are lots of rocky sections but all easily manageable by all but the most anxious dogs. You biggest issue will likely be keeping up with your dog. The short section of trail descending from High Rock north is quite steep followed by some very rocky areas leading to Penn Mar. I'd suggest that you make as many training hikes as possible to deal with any anxiety issues your dog may have as well as to get a gauge on how your dog reacts to other dogs you'll meet. There will be LOTS of dogs in the popular areas (around HF and Annapolis Rocks in particular). I would also very strongly suggest that you keep you dog on-leash all the time regardless of any local leash laws. You'll both be a lot safer and everyone on the trail will appreciate it. Have a great hike. Maryland is beautiful that time of year and you'll really enjoy it. Hope I'll see you out there.

Traveler
03-29-2016, 06:07
100 might be a conservative estimate. On the weekends, since most of the stretch through Maryland runs close to civilization, there will actually be quite a few people out walking dogs. I have only seen a few without leashes. Maryland does leash laws by county. You'll be almost exclusively in Washington County in Maryland (the ridge line actually mark the borderline between it and Frederick County though so occasionally you'll be in Frederick) and neither that I can find, have leash laws.

I found this site to help with the jurisdictional laws on dogs: https://www.animallaw.info/topic/table-state-dog-leash-laws

Most States themselves do not have a Statewide blanket law as the above referenced website claims. However, most County and/or local governments have public safety ordinances that deal with this issue. Though the statutes may not be State wide they do exist within most States and may be different around the State. Just as information specifically from Washington County, MD relative to dogs "at large":

Section 1 (Definitions) - Animal at Large. Any animal off the premises of the Owner, and not under the immediate control, charge or possession of the Owner or other responsible person capable of physically restraining the animal.

Section 27. Animal at Large - Prohibited.
(a) No Owner shall allow an animal to be at large, as defined in Section 1.

ANIMAL CONTROL ORDINANCE FOR WASHINGTON COUNTY, MARYLAND

(b) The Animal at Large prohibition in subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(1.) Animals on the premises of another property with the permission of the propertyowner or lessee.
(2) Dogs being used for training, hunting; or obedience training.
(3) Dogs accompanied by the Owner or agent of the Owner on horseback.
(4) Farmers driving herds to and from pasture, different farms, or parts of farms.
Md. Code, Agriculture Article, §3-504.
(c) An Animal Control Officer encountering a Farm Animal at large shall:
(1) Check the immediate neighborhood for the owner
(2) Ask a farmer in the area to hold the livestock until the owner is found
(3) If necessary, hold the livestock in the Animal Control Shelter
(4) If necessary due to size, breed or quantity, hold the animals in a stockyard