PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Pack Outside of Restaurants??

TheWhiteWalker
03-26-2016, 12:00
I heard/read from 2 different thru hikers that they leave their pack outside a restaurant... I guess due to the smell and/or size of pack. The thought of leaving my pack outside, unattended, just doesn't sound smart. Considering I probably have $1500 worth of equipment, plus all the other expenses/time to get me on the trail, doesn't sound worth the risk of someone walking away with my unattended pack.

What this is the norm for when you get into town? What did you do?

Cheyou
03-26-2016, 12:14
I could bring a cheep snowboard cable lock . They are very light.

Slo-go'en
03-26-2016, 12:15
This is another one of those "it depends" situations. You quickly learn to appraise the situation and act accordingly.

If your in a hiker town at popular restaurant with 20 other hikers, lining all the pack up outside is common.

At Fast food places I'll either put my pack inside near the door or in a booth. At a sit down restaurant with a cashier, ask if there is a place to stash your pack, typically there is a spot near the door it can be placed.

But the chances someone will walk off with your pack is slim to non existent. Of course, one should not leave valuables like your wallet and phone in the pack when it's not attended.

MuddyWaters
03-26-2016, 12:30
Get used to it. Your big pack wont be welcomed many places. Sometimes it because you can bump it into things and break them, or other people, or use it to shoplift, or it smells.

A lightweight solution is a zip tie behind pack that doesnt show. Easily cut, but a thief is looking to grab and go, and if it dont go, hes gonna quickly move on not to attract attention.

Leaving alone in hostels is another story, and partly why i prefer hotels. I am more relaxed around town knowing my stuff is secure, and not among strangers coming and going.

Christoph
03-26-2016, 13:02
I left mine outside all the time, but it was usually near other packs or where I could see it through a window. Most people are in the same boat as you are, just grabbing a bite or restocking and they won't mess with your stuff. One thing I found out is, you just have to have a little faith in humanity. Would I leave it alone in a city or around my town? Nope. No hikers or support businesses here. But there's always that one guy I suppose. If you want a little more security, I'd suggest a small cable and lock.

rafe
03-26-2016, 13:17
If the restaurant has a waiting area with a host or hostess, ask that person if there's a place where you can stash your pack. They'll generally accommodate you, after all, they want your business. Otherwise, just play it by ear. If staff ask about your pack or give you the eye, ask if it's OK to just stash in a corner where you can keep an eye on it.

swjohnsey
03-26-2016, 13:30
I left my pack outside.

Don H
03-26-2016, 14:31
Cabala's in Hamburg will keep your pack behind the service counter for you.

When grocery shopping I put my pack in the cart.

When in a restaurant I leave it outside but try to sit where I can keep an eye on it.

When hitching a ride always try to sit with your pack so it doesn't get left in the vehicle.

I think you're at a greater risk leaving your pack along the trail when you go over the hill to get water. I always take my pack with me in those circumstances or hide it well off trail.

I bet more packs are stolen on the trail than in towns.

ScottTrip
03-26-2016, 17:55
Hiker etiquette is to leave it outside. Very rarely can it be brought in the establishment.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2016, 18:01
Hiker etiquette is to leave it outside. Very rarely can it be brought in the establishment.

exactly......

CamelMan
03-26-2016, 18:27
you just have to have a little faith in humanity

Famous last words. ;)

lonehiker
03-26-2016, 18:37
I was in Damascus in 08 when three hikers dropped their packs outside of a bar/restaurant. A scraggly looking guy approached them and was insistant that they bring their packs inside. He told them that recently someone's pack had been stolen from outside the establishment.

I wonder who wrote this book on hiker etiquette?

left52side
03-26-2016, 19:20
This does not necessarily pertain to hiking or the AT.
But in my freight train hitchhiking days I would most often always leave my pack outside of the grocery store/restaurant etc...
I have never had any problems with anyone ever messing with my pack at all.

rafe
03-26-2016, 19:30
If I'm in town, I'll generally start by checking into a motel or hostel and getting cleaned up. In which case I'll leave my pack, minus the essential/valuables, at the hotel or hostel. Otherwise it's likely to be a a low-key place where a pack doesn't raise all that many eyebrows. It's never been a problem and I've never worried much about having it stolen. Maybe I'm just lucky that way.

denimlabels
03-26-2016, 20:01
I wouldn't leave my gear unattended just about anywhere! I had all but a tent stolen up in Alaska. It made for a bad situation I would do anything to not repeat. Its the 1% that ruin it for the 99%. Just the way it is.

AtWokman
03-26-2016, 21:47
I have a small lock. Never had any problems...knock on wood.

Jeff
03-27-2016, 06:53
As mentioned above, always take your money, CC and ID out of your pack when leaving it alone.

Don H
03-27-2016, 08:57

I've never had a Walmart of Dollar store employee take a second look at my pack in the cart. And I've asked enough to conclude that they don't care.

RockDoc
03-27-2016, 13:14
I've never had a problem leaving a pack in front of a store or restaurant, generally in an inconspicuous corner.
But TWICE I have had loaded backpacks blow out of the back of pickup trucks on roads, once in Northern BC (it was called in by a trucker, picked up by police, eventually returned to me), once in Montana (only thing I lost was a Canon camera that I had just found in Scapegoat Wilderness). So don't just flop your pack in the back of a pickup--tie it in.

ScottTrip
03-27-2016, 17:17
I would still ask first. You are correct most stores such as Walmart, Dollar, ect were ok with the pack in the cart

mattjv89
03-27-2016, 17:33
I always brought my pack into fast food places, they tend to be pretty spread out and have ample room to put your pack under the booth or leaned against a chair etc. Pushed it around in a cart at every grocery store and never heard a word about it. Nicer sit down restaurants and gas stations I would almost always leave it outside, they're often tight enough that you're bound to hit someone or knock something over with your pack. Whenever possible at a restaurant I would set it in a spot clearly visible through a window to keep an eye on it.

soumodeler
03-27-2016, 19:16
I've never had a problem leaving a pack in front of a store or restaurant, generally in an inconspicuous corner.
But TWICE I have had loaded backpacks blow out of the back of pickup trucks on roads, once in Northern BC (it was called in by a trucker, picked up by police, eventually returned to me), once in Montana (only thing I lost was a Canon camera that I had just found in Scapegoat Wilderness). So don't just flop your pack in the back of a pickup--tie it in.

One of the disadvantages of going UL? The pack is TOO light? :D