PDA

View Full Version : When does the Southbound Hiker Bubble Start?

denimlabels
03-26-2016, 20:29
Because I think I want to join THAT bubble. I have to leave later than I wanted to but is June 15th still considered early?

rafe
03-26-2016, 20:36
There really isn't much of a sobo bubble to speak of. Not really comparable to what goes in at Springer in March and early April.

Slo-go'en
03-26-2016, 20:51
Not much of a bubble, but you'd probably meet up with a couple others soon enough. I'd guess a 15th start date could be almost as popular a day to start as the 1st is. You'll just have to see what happens when you get there.

denimlabels
03-26-2016, 23:01
Seems like no amount of planning is ever going to get me on the trail. Always something pushing my start date later and later. I was just reading that the rivers are usually still high and the bugs are still thick. Maybe I will push it back to July 1st :) Be home by Thanksgiving I guess.

Jeff
03-27-2016, 06:50
Maybe I will push it back to July 1st :) Be home by Thanksgiving I guess.

That's a smart move. June in Maine can be a pain !!

wornoutboots
03-27-2016, 10:51
There ain't no sobo bubble.............the beauty of it.....................;)

LittleRock
03-28-2016, 12:22
There ain't no sobo bubble.............the beauty of it.....................;)

Definitely true in the past but maybe not anymore. I was very surprised to run into a mini SOBO bubble while section-hiking in SW VA last October. Nothing like Georgia in March but there were at least a dozen SOBO thru-hikers at one shelter I stayed at. The owner of one hostel I stayed at said they had over 300 SOBO thu-hikers so far - already a record with a month left to go in their traditional thru-hike season.

rafe
03-28-2016, 12:48
Definitely true in the past but maybe not anymore. I was very surprised to run into a mini SOBO bubble while section-hiking in SW VA last October. Nothing like Georgia in March but there were at least a dozen SOBO thru-hikers at one shelter I stayed at. The owner of one hostel I stayed at said they had over 300 SOBO thu-hikers so far - already a record with a month left to go in their traditional thru-hike season.

I rather doubt if that event is an everyday occurrence. In forty days walking southbound, late summer and early fall of 2007, I met exactly two southbound thru hikers, both in Shenandoah NP, in the first week of September.

egilbe
03-28-2016, 14:48
Seems like no amount of planning is ever going to get me on the trail. Always something pushing my start date later and later. I was just reading that the rivers are usually still high and the bugs are still thick. Maybe I will push it back to July 1st :) Be home by Thanksgiving I guess.

This may be the year the rivers won't be high. No snow melt to speak of. No snow in the mountains. June 15th will probably be more like July 15th this year.

Mt Washington from Evans Notch this Weekend.