PDA

View Full Version : Any overweight female hikers here?

Therapy
03-27-2016, 06:12
I have been overweight my whole life, but still fairly active. I'm currently 49, 5'5" and 225 lbs. I've been working really hard to condition for my first hike in May (only lodge to lodge) but in this process, have found I'm falling in love with hiking and am dreaming of doing a thru hike with a friend. My knees bother me on and off. I know I should lose weight and am still trying, but despite my life long attempts just can't seem to get much lower. I'm wondering if there have been any female hikers out there that are overweight who have hiked the AT? Any insights, comments, thoughts.......? Honest thoughts appreciated!

HeartFire
03-27-2016, 07:29
check out the Trail Dames http://www.traildames.com/

Miel
03-27-2016, 07:41
I have been overweight my whole life, but still fairly active. I'm currently 49, 5'5" and 225 lbs. I've been working really hard to condition for my first hike in May (only lodge to lodge) but in this process, have found I'm falling in love with hiking and am dreaming of doing a thru hike with a friend. My knees bother me on and off. I know I should lose weight and am still trying, but despite my life long attempts just can't seem to get much lower. I'm wondering if there have been any female hikers out there that are overweight who have hiked the AT? Any insights, comments, thoughts.......? Honest thoughts appreciated!

I was 5' 3" 119 pounds when I hiked the Long Trail (Vermont), 110 pounds when I did the Bikecentennial with my parents, 10 pounds when I hitched, ferried and walked half the Intracoastal waterway. Now I'm an an inch shorter ... and not 120 pounds. There are people hiking the AT at 300 pounds. My from own experience, the weight comes off. Even when I do the one-day Walk for Hunger (20 miles), a fundraiser here in Boston, I take off a few pounds - and the organizers provide us with high-calorie, high-protein snacks.

Ask your doctor (if you haven't already) to look for hypercholesterolemia. You might be overproducing ... the first word that came to mind when I read your post was dyslipedemia.

If you have no health issues that you no of, see your doctor anyway and tell her of your plans. The knee problems may be due to something as simple as weight. I told my doctor that when I get closer to my thru-hike, I want all the tests in the book, so's I can avoid getting sick.

I only have Long Trail and flatlander hiking experience; others will give you more extensive advice. But at age 49 lipid, diabetes, EKG, mammogram testing should be well underway. You may just have a predisposition to weight. You say "I know I should lose weight" - I hope you feel this way for health matters, and not for what society says about overweight people.

Barring any pre-existing conditions, you will probably lose weight on the hike. I myself am losing the poundage just by walking up and the down the various low-lying hills in the cities and towns of eastern Massachusetts as well as walking with a pack the beaches in my little harbor city and the surrounding towns (great for getting the legs stronger). Have you considered a trip to Indiana dune country, not far from you?

I'm sure you'll be great!

illabelle
03-27-2016, 08:21
I'm a section hiker. At my biggest point, about 5 years ago, I was a hair under 190 lbs. I'm 56 and 5'6" (hey, do those rhyme?) So far, my husband and I have sectioned over 1250 miles of the AT, including parts of every state except CT. I should be skinny. I am not. While it appears that I have lost some weight permanently, I go up and down fighting to stay out of the 170s. Not so long ago I was in the 150s. It's a struggle, and I'm convinced it will be a lifelong struggle.
A couple of points:
YES, it is possible to hike overweight and still have a good time. Go for it!
BUT, reducing your weight makes hiking so much easier! And of course, there are other health benefits. The nice thing is that hiking is a great way to lose extra pounds. The struggle is keeping them off.

Therapy
03-27-2016, 08:42
I was 5' 3" 119 pounds when I hiked the Long Trail (Vermont), 110 pounds when I did the Bikecentennial with my parents, 10 pounds when I hitched, ferried and walked half the Intracoastal waterway. Now I'm an an inch shorter ... and not 120 pounds. There are people hiking the AT at 300 pounds. My from own experience, the weight comes off. Even when I do the one-day Walk for Hunger (20 miles), a fundraiser here in Boston, I take off a few pounds - and the organizers provide us with high-calorie, high-protein snacks.

Ask your doctor (if you haven't already) to look for hypercholesterolemia. You might be overproducing ... the first word that came to mind when I read your post was dyslipedemia.

If you have no health issues that you no of, see your doctor anyway and tell her of your plans. The knee problems may be due to something as simple as weight. I told my doctor that when I get closer to my thru-hike, I want all the tests in the book, so's I can avoid getting sick.

I only have Long Trail and flatlander hiking experience; others will give you more extensive advice. But at age 49 lipid, diabetes, EKG, mammogram testing should be well underway. You may just have a predisposition to weight. You say "I know I should lose weight" - I hope you feel this way for health matters, and not for what society says about overweight people.

Barring any pre-existing conditions, you will probably lose weight on the hike. I myself am losing the poundage just by walking up and the down the various low-lying hills in the cities and towns of eastern Massachusetts as well as walking with a pack the beaches in my little harbor city and the surrounding towns (great for getting the legs stronger). Have you considered a trip to Indiana dune country, not far from you?

I'm sure you'll be great!

Thanks for your comments. I have had most of the testing you mentioned.....I don't have high cholesterol (all my lipid profiles are in the healthy range),
and same for glucose (diabetes). I do have hypothyroidsm and take Armour Thyroid for that. I have had a stomach reduction in 2006 and even with that the lowest I ever got was 211. Yes, I do have a predispotion to weight. Even with all the hiking I've been doing (min of 6 mile hikes 4 days a week with 10 lbs on my back), I have not dropped one pound. I eat healthy and sometimes wonder if I'm eating too few calories for all the activity I get in. I want to lose more weight for my health and to make hiking easier. Not sure I can keep going as far and as long as I want with the knee pain. Feeling pretty frustrated. But good to know there are others out there that are heavy and can do the AT.

Therapy
03-27-2016, 08:50
Thanks for the input and encouragement. Yes, that is exactly it.....I want to lose more to enjoy it.....right now, I'm in so much pain but I just plow through best I can.

Therapy
03-27-2016, 08:54
thanks Heartfire......I am checking out TD and it looks like a fabulous supportive site/group! Thanks!!!!

Traffic Jam
03-27-2016, 09:10
Thanks for your comments. I have had most of the testing you mentioned.....I don't have high cholesterol (all my lipid profiles are in the healthy range),
and same for glucose (diabetes). I do have hypothyroidsm and take Armour Thyroid for that. I have had a stomach reduction in 2006 and even with that the lowest I ever got was 211. Yes, I do have a predispotion to weight. Even with all the hiking I've been doing (min of 6 mile hikes 4 days a week with 10 lbs on my back), I have not dropped one pound. I eat healthy and sometimes wonder if I'm eating too few calories for all the activity I get in. I want to lose more weight for my health and to make hiking easier. Not sure I can keep going as far and as long as I want with the knee pain. Feeling pretty frustrated. But good to know there are others out there that are heavy and can do the AT.

Consuming too few calories is a possibility, do you track your caloric intake? (Most people consume more calories than they realize). I sometimes have this problem but I consume between 400-600 calories less than is recommended and I'm very active.

Over time, your body gets used to doing the same exercise at the same pace and you stop burning as many calories. The solution is to increase the intensity of your workout or reduce your calories.

Because you've had bariatric surgery, your nutritional needs may be different, so please discuss this with your physician and not take advice over the Internet. :D

Good luck and keep hiking, you absolutely CAN do it!

illabelle
03-27-2016, 09:49
You might benefit from looking into a dietary plan like this one:
https://fullplateliving.org/diet
http://www.dietsinreview.com/diets/the-full-plate-diet/

Puddlefish
03-27-2016, 12:02
Not a woman, but I've lost 40 pounds and kept it off over a good number of years, and that's the last time I'll talk about pounds or weight. I had developed a lot of unhealthy habits over the course of a few decades, and then one day I noticed that I was struggling to stand up, I was that out of shape. I'm not making any assumptions about you, but this is what worked for me. So, let's talk about health instead.

TLDR Version: There is none. There's no one easy trick to getting healthy.

- Cut out fast food entirely. Cut out most pre-processed food. Not so much for the bad chemical compounds, but because planning the meal, getting on your feet and banging about the kitchen, taking time to think about portion size, thinking about the individual ingredients and the process of how they're prepared really does count. Time spent moving around doing something is less time sitting or lounging.

Example: You become much more aware when you have to slice the fresh mozzarella, slice a tomato, chop up some fresh spices and eat it in a half slice of that flax bran oat pita bread (which by the way lasts a lot longer, so you don't feel you need to eat it all in one day.) Want real pizza? Make your dough yourself, it's hours of commitment. While the dough is rising, render down a tomato into fresh sauce. Buy a pizza stone with what you've saved on take out and frozen pizza. Eat a slice or two, wrap up the other six slices in foil and freeze them. Twenty minutes to reheat in the oven. Serve with a veggie heavy salad that you've made yourself. I skip salad dressing entirely, I've found out that I really like the taste of veggies by themselves. Holy crap, an apple tastes good too, how did I forget about apples?

- Planning. This was a big one for me personally. I planned everything initially. I had a pad of paper with a list of everything I wanted to do the next day. From waking up at a certain time, what activities I'd do, what to shop for, to remind myself to stay off the damned internet, meals, snacks, drinks. I even switched gas stations, since the local one has excellent fried chicken, and fresh donuts daily.

- Motivation. Don't get caught up in seeking out motivational pictures of skinny young rich people doing super amazing things. Eventually you'll run into a few items that move you. Every morning when I'm lying in my warm bed, I think "When you wake up, wake up!" Yep, I start my day with a Sound of Music quote from a young rich Julie Andrews. I use music for inspiration. I can also lose myself in sad music, don't do that all that often!

- Activities. Screw exercise, exercise isn't fun. Go on an activity instead, activities are fun and life is an amusement park. Start slow with something you enjoy. Start every day with a walk before breakfast. Every day. Pop out of bed and start getting dressed for whatever the weather might bring. Start slow, play games with your head. No internet until my walk. Do chores around the house, put on some music, dance while you sweep the floor, rake your yard, haul leaves, sweat a bit. Think about how much they'd charge you at the gym to do these same kind of movements. Change up your internet habits, you're already here, so that's a great start. Give up those time wasting games. Research exercise videos instead. This one is what I started off with, low impact and it actually kicked my ass initially, now it's a silly easy, but I still do it once in a while (muted, with my own music.)
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unW-csHlRUA)
- Plateaus. The first few will be relatively easy to push through. Changing your diet initially is easy and you'll notice the benefit. Slowly ramping up your activity level is easy. Eventually, you'll be feeling great and thinking about what more you can do, seeking out those endorphins. You'll be a bit pissed that your house is clean, the laundry done and you can't move around to do it. You'll return from a hike wishing you could have done more. You'll feel pretty damned good, and wonder why you're the same relative size. At this point when you push yourself harder, your body starts breaking down in a bad way. Initially take a day off and let your body recover, it takes a bit longer at this age. Just kind of stretch and keep moving on your off day. Eventually you won't need the off days, and you can do fun things every day. Still plateau-ing? Consider taking a week off, this resets your body, and when you restart, you can do a bit more.

- Water and pH balance. Everything tasty and comforting is acidic. Your body has mechanisms for dealing with this extra acid, but they aren't good for you, especially for women, who can't afford to lose the bone density. Soda is pure acid with enough sweetener added so that your body doesn't puke it up as poison. Drink water with a bit of lemon instead. Yes, lemon is acidic but it's not digested that way, there's a biological explanation, but I don't remember it. Suffice to say, a bit of lemon water lowers your acidity somehow. Less soda = more tasty food. Too many people mistake thirst for hunger. Stay hydrated. All sorts of health benefits to paying attention to your pH.

- Superfoods and marketing. Anyone selling you these concepts is trying to profit. Largely based on assumptions of 1980s theories and studies that have proven to be flat out wrong. Whole grains, whole fruit, whole veggies are good for you! But, it's not because of the anti oxidant properties. That delicious sugary pomegranate juice isn't going to help you out. Most things with health stickers are trying to sucker you into buying them. Read the labels. Low sugar often means added fat, low fat often means added sugar.

-Thru Hiking foods. If you're putting in high mileage days, you can eat some extraordinarily fattening foods and it will be good for you. If you're not on the trail, then refrain from extensive testing. A bit of chocolate is energy before climbing that big hill. Consider it a pre-reward.

- Sleep. Bigelow Sleepy Time tea saved my life. Calms racing thoughts, doesn't actually make you sleepy. Nothing bad in it, you can drink as much of it as you like. You don't even need to drink it if you hate the taste, just inhaling the steamed scent is a soothing process. Meditative.

- Puppy? Only if you can commit to hours outside every single day yourself. Research by breed/mixed breed that suits your living conditions and activity levels. Positive: You have to haul your butt out of bed early every morning to take it for a walk, or they poop on your floor. Negative: You've committed to 15 years of not being able to travel anytime and anywhere you feel like it.

Kick ass!

Edit: Grammar, typos, added a link.

Water Rat
03-27-2016, 12:15
+10 to what everyone else has said! :)

In addition I just want to say your dream is possible if you want it bad enough. Due to your knees bothering you, you might need to be a section hiker but there is nothing to stop you from completing the AT! It just might take you a little longer than Jennifer Pharr Davis, but you can do it.

The biggest thing is to stay as active as possible. Have you thought about incorporating swimming into your exercise? Only if you like it, of course! I mention it because it will allow you to get a good workout in and is a non-weight bearing activity. Great for your knees! It will help you to strengthen the muscles around the knees, without causing knee pain. That might help for when you do hike. If your knees/legs are stronger and hurt less, then you will be able to hike farther and see more cool stuff along the way. :)

Therapy
03-27-2016, 14:21
Thanks for the thoughtful, time consuming response puddlefish.....I really do appreciate it, but I am already doing almost all of these things you mentioned.

Therapy
03-27-2016, 14:23
+10 to what everyone else has said! :)

In addition I just want to say your dream is possible if you want it bad enough. Due to your knees bothering you, you might need to be a section hiker but there is nothing to stop you from completing the AT! It just might take you a little longer than Jennifer Pharr Davis, but you can do it.

The biggest thing is to stay as active as possible. Have you thought about incorporating swimming into your exercise? Only if you like it, of course! I mention it because it will allow you to get a good workout in and is a non-weight bearing activity. Great for your knees! It will help you to strengthen the muscles around the knees, without causing knee pain. That might help for when you do hike. If your knees/legs are stronger and hurt less, then you will be able to hike farther and see more cool stuff along the way. :)

Thanks waterrat, and yes, I might have to be a section hiker. I appreciate the encouragment!

Thanks Water Rat.....appreciate the encouragement

Sandy of PA
03-27-2016, 17:39
I greatly improved my knees and wind on a bicycle. I use trekking poles, they help up and down hills. I never hike in a hurry, slow will get you there. I have not lost a lot of weight but I did lose a lot of inches. I focus on low carb. high nutrition to keep "hiker hunger" at bay so I don't gain it all back when I get home. After 50, just not gaining is winning!

Miel
03-27-2016, 17:44
To add to what Puddlefish said - drink a glass of ice water before you consume anything else in the morning. Not sure of the chemistry of it, but for a bunch of us here in Miel-land it took off an additional 12 pounds (per person) per year.

You'll be great on your thru! (Like me, you may want to wear one of those little removable knee brace thingies, they look sorta like what people with carpal tunnel slip on when they type; sold over the counter at a store near you).

ruthsstewart
03-27-2016, 20:18
I'm 5'5'' and about 235 lbs and I am starting my thru-hike on April 5. I have been conditioning and trying to help with my hike, including seeing a personal trainer at a local gym. But from what I have, there are all shapes and sizes out there on the trial. I am not going to let my weight stand in my way, it may mean that I am a little bit slower in the beginning but every step I take will make me stronger.

shelb
03-28-2016, 23:14
Because you've had bariatric surgery, your nutritional needs may be different, so please discuss this with your physician and not take advice over the Internet. :D

Good luck and keep hiking, you absolutely CAN do it!

I recommend meeting with an exercise physiologist at the bariatric center. Before your appointment, chart EVERYTHING (meaning each bite/sip) you eat OR DRINK for 2 weeks. It is possible that you are ingesting too many liquid calories. My fitness pal is a great way to chart this - on your smart phone or computer.

While you may be taking in too few calories now, it that had been the case since 2006, you would have seen weight loss and low levels of things in your blood work.

The weight loss will be VERY important to your success and enjoyment! I can't believe how I trucked through over 100 miles last year after losing 60 pounds! I look forward to hiking over 200 this year during my section.

KnightErrant
04-03-2016, 15:00
My sister and I did the Camino de Santiago together last year (~500 miles), and she is about the same size as OP (although granted only 19 years old). Other than lots of trouble with blisters and being a little slower on the uphills at the beginning, she ended up being the faster hiker of the two of us. We did plenty of 20 mile days and she did great. She had also done about 200 miles of training in the six weeks leading up to the start, and I think that was a big help.

Meanwhile, I was considerably lighter but had only done some training hikes on the weekend because of the crazy hours I was working. I started out stronger because I didn't struggle with the cardio aspect of it at all, but I had a lot of ankle pain in during days 5-10 and then a knee problem that lasted the rest of the hike (and still bothers me, which has me worried about my AT flip flop plans for this year...)

I guess the takeaway is that the number on the scale isn't as important as gradually training your feet and joints carry that weight mile after mile. It sounds like you're doing that, so that's a great start! My other advice would be to absolutely use trekking poles. I felt like they really saved me from a much worse experience during those ankle and knee problems. Plus, besides adding stability and relieving pressure from the joints, it also made the experience a much more balanced workout. Backpacking will obviously condition your legs, but thanks to the trekking poles my arms also looked great!

I'm currently in physical therapy for my knee problem, and instead of focusing on the knees themselves, they have me do lots of IT band stretches and wall sits to both loosen up and strengthen the muscles in the thigh. This helps everything track more smoothly in the knee, reducing inflammation and pain. There are lots of Youtube videos of these kinds of stretches and exercises, so that might be another thing to try. Best of luck!

naturlred
04-03-2016, 18:02
First, let me say, there is nothing wrong with being overweight and having a love for hiking. Anyone, any size can love hiking. Skinny people are sore too....so dont think losing weight will solve all your issues.
And last, just be in the moment. You seem like you have tried everything everyone has suggested. So be ok with who you are and just enjoy life.....hiking.

Happy Trails

kizzybean
04-04-2016, 20:11
Be happy with who you are. Everyone has an opinion on how you can lose weight. Your question was whether you can hike and the answer is "yes". You just need to go slow and steady. I have sectioned hiked 500 miles as an overweight female, including some of the hardest AT terrain in Maine, NH. Remember it's your hike so hike your way. Plan on lower miles and take your time. I am planning for a thru hike in 2017. As for you knee issue hiking poles really help with that. Also my personal trainer had me purchase some Knee support sleeves. These really helped me with knee pain / strain. I wear them on and off during the day hiking. Generally to start and the end of the day depending on terrain and ups and downs. Downs are definitely harder on the knees. They are Rehband sleeves I purchased from Rogue Fitness. They are worth their price tag (in my personal experience)- save if you need to. Support as well as proved warmth to the joint. Also I liked the padding for my knees on rock scrambles. Good luck to you and go for your dreams.

Heather1027
04-06-2016, 12:02
I hiked a small section of the AT a few months ago. I have arthritis in my left knee, I'm 5'4 and then I weighed 240. I suggest good hiking poles with the anti-shock, they will take ALOT of pressure off of your knees. I just bought Black Diamond Women's Hiking Poles with the anti-shock, but I haven't had a chance to use them. On the AT, I used a pair of $20 poles I got at Walmart, lol. (I was still new at hiking, I didnt want to invest alot of $ into it just yet). The way I look at it is this, if you love to walk, love the outdoors and want to walk the AT, go for it! Who cares what you weigh? I bought some aleve, a tube of ben gay for my ailments and had a great time! :)

gypsyheart
05-27-2016, 15:17
I'm doing a long section 250+ miles in a few days. I'm 50 pounds overweight. I was 100 pounds over but over the last 4 years have lost that very slowly, mostly by walking. You can do it!

Hikingjim
05-27-2016, 17:43
Years ago I backpacked with someone about 5 foot nothing, and 220 lbs. She was pretty slow, but made it ok

You just need to give yourself extra time, not care if you hike a bit slower, and to take a couple days off if you get soreness or just plain burnt out.
Keep up the mental toughness early and you'll be flyin' later in the hike and on future hikes

And if you get an overuse type temporary injury, no big deal... give it time and pick up where you left off

Venchka
05-27-2016, 22:04

I'm sure you'll find lots of company on the trail.
First things first.
Get rid of 100 pounds.
I lost 50 pounds once, down to 130 pounds. I'm 5'-8". But it all came back.
About 3-4 years ago I lost 45 pounds, down to 145 pounds and I'm keeping it off.
You can do it.
A few things I did:
Walk to/from the grocery store.
Lived mostly on Cheerios, plain yogurt, honey and bananas.
Cooking-steamed veggies, potatoes with yogurt, no butter.
Stopped using white sugar. I buy agave nectar in bulk and only use 1 teaspoon in a cup of coffee or bowl of oatmeal.
Walk. Walk. Walk.
Good luck.

Wayne

RockDoc
05-28-2016, 13:13
40+ years of failed eat less & exercise experiments tell us that it doesn't work!

Weight gain/loss is mainly hormonal. You need to control the fat storage hormone, insulin. So it is mainly a dietary problem involving eating too many foods that spike your insulin.

Read "The Obesity Code" by Jason Fung.

trobichau
02-12-2017, 12:04
I'm planning a section hike in September. I'm 59, not thin by any means. I may die on the trail, but you don't know what you can do unless you try. I'm healthy and do a lot of day hiking, but the ice cream - my nemesis, gets me every time. You can still be overweight and active. My hope is to do a hike- thru when I retire in 6 yrs but until then, I'm going to hike whenever I can. I'd love to get a group of women together to start doing section hikes with. At or near my age group.
Don't let your weight keep you from doing what you want to do. It may take longer for us, but it's the journey that counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day2DayTripper
02-18-2017, 09:55
trobichau, I'm looking for a partner to do a section in late May / early June in NC. I'm 54, and would like to do Hot Springs north for 5-ish days. I did some of the AT in GA last year, and would love to do this section in '17. Waddya' say? :)

lesliedgray
02-18-2017, 10:41
I am a newbie to hiking, but do a good bit of flatlander walking.. i, too struggled with weight all of my life. I am down right now, but notice that i am creeping up again.. i plan to do my first section hike sometime this year, life permitting.. i've had my left knee scoped twice, so probably am looking at a replacement if it keeps giving me trouble.. i have a lot of hiking plans on my bucket list ( AT, the Camino). I try to drink 2 teaspoons raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in water with 2 teaspoons of honey every day.. you get used to the taste and actually crave it after a while.. i love coffee and tea and find that the ACV mixes well in a tea. I notice that my craving for soda is noticeably less when i am consistent with the ACV ( i am addicted to diet coke) . I agree with the other posters, go slow, use poles, stay hydrated, keep high protein snacks handy, and stop and camp early if you need to.. a good many accidents happen because the trekker was overtired. Bring some ACE wrap or a couple knee supports to have if you need them

trobichau
02-20-2017, 08:32
trobichau, I'm looking for a partner to do a section in late May / early June in NC. I'm 54, and would like to do Hot Springs north for 5-ish days. I did some of the AT in GA last year, and would love to do this section in '17. Waddya' say? :)

I am not able to take off from my job in may, but it sounds great! .

bettybadass
02-21-2017, 16:21
First of all, I am loving the guy that post in a women's section of the forums about just eat less and work out. It is not that easy. No offense, but you are not female. And the female body doesn't just work that way. Though, ALSO kudos to the guys that recognized there are women of size out there hiking along with the rest of them. It's nice to know that

In prep for all of my hiking, I went to a weight loss specialist- not a regular doctor. My regular doctor was clueless- he was another eat less and walk fatty kind of guy. My WL Dr. suggested some blood work to make sure that my Thyroid and Blood Sugar were in check. Then we started with a light regiment of medications that started to get my body back in order. One condition you may have is polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) It effected by hormones and my menstrual cycles, as well as my metabolism. Once I got on metformin things started working out for me.

Yes, you will lose weight if you hike the trail. Is it better to work out before, well yeah, but if you are in a place where you have the time and the finances to start the AT now, then why not?

And if you feel like hiking near PA, send me a private message and maybe we can meet up. ;-)

naysjp
04-16-2017, 03:09
Thank you for this thread. I'm also an overweight female and tore up my body playing softball for years. The inflamed achilles tendon made me put away the softball gear :( so I am looking for something else to fill the softball void. I'm going to start hiking on the local trails here in San Diego and hoping that will help me lose some weight. doc keeps saying slim down and the achilles will heal but it's hard when it flares up and makes walking hard. I'm just going to do it and start slowly. It was nice reading this thread and see the struggle is real and I am not alone.

shelb
04-19-2017, 00:26
I haven't chimed in - in over a year...
I had an fantastic hike last June - over 200 miles! I know it was better because of the weight loss... OMG, Weight loss is hard work! Thank goodness, I had surgery; however, since the surgery, I have had to spend a crap ton of time making life changes... seeing the doctor/nutritionalist once a month for two years (discourage anyone you know from this surgery if the office doesn't do at LEAST six months of pre-surgery counseling and at LEAST two years of post-surgery counseling).

If you aren't there yet, go back to your doctor/nutritionalist/PA/NPT, etc. It is SO WORTH IT~!!!

gracebowen
04-19-2017, 00:45
As a female I can say that eating responsibly and being more active is how I lost and kept off 45 lbs.

Chillfactor
04-19-2017, 21:05
You sound positive and motivated. Try increasing your pack weight on you walks. You'll probably lose weight on the trail because you won't want to carry lots of food. Hiking is more fun when your weight is lower because it makes things easier. You'll get in shape in a month's time on the trail and should feel great even if don't lose weight. Don't carry anything that is absolutely unecessary and you'll eliminate weight that way.

Patriot76
04-19-2017, 23:16
I am not a female, but I am a fitness consultant. Two knee replacements, three types of cancer, and numerous other joint surgeries provides a unique perspective. For those in this situation I would recommend a combination of strength training and cardiovascular workouts. Six minutes of cardiovascular training followed by supersets on weights and continued this rotation provides the best of both strength, endurance, and weight loss. While doing the super sets on the weights your heart is still working hard to recover from the cardiovascular workout. This increases metabolism, weight loss, and blood flow. If you would like additional information, PM me and I can add more specifics.

WineyJack
05-06-2017, 22:34
I can't believe I didn't see this last year! Our stats are almost identical! If you're still checking and reading and hiking, huzzah for you! My advice is to just get out there and do it. Screw all the "oh, here's how I lost weight blah, blah, blah." That's not the question you asked! I'm a dead slow hiker and always have been. Get the best boots you can afford (you're feet are the most important part of the hike!) and just take the hike one step at a time. The weight will or will not come off but you WILL enjoy it if you do it at your pace and not some arbitrary must hit pace

Lnj
05-10-2017, 15:38
I have been waiting for a thread like this forever!! I am also a morbidly obese woman hiker. I have only done the PMT and the Approach Trail so far, just some weekend shake downs, and it will likely be all I can do for many years due to family obligations and money/work needs... but one day.... the AT. I am about 5'8" and 260. An Uber Amazon, if you will. Don't care. At all. I have been to the doctor several times and they keep testing me for diabetes because it just confounds them that a big fat lady isn't diabetic, and doesn't have high blood pressure, and has no real issues at all.

Now I do have arthritis in my family. My dad and 2 of my aunts have already had knee replacements and I creak and snap and crack like Rice Krispies when I walk up and down stairs and or get up from sitting. Some times I get an ache in my left knee, but it isn't horrible and a shift in body position usually stops it. I have every reason to believe I will end up with bionic knees one day too.... but not today! When I hike, those downhills are simultaneously blissful and cringe-worthy, because the hill/mountain climbs are comically slow and breath-taking for me. I swear I have to stop ever 10 steps to simply breathe! I must be the slowest hiker in life. All that and ... I don't care.

I absolutely LOVE being out in the woods and walking or climbing up mountains, hard as it is. There is just something more rewarding about doing something truly hard for yourself. It just feels so much better when you top that mountain when it took all you had to do it.

My advice... from someone in your same boat... Let NOTHING stop you. Let anything that will save your body and health adjust your plans, your progress, but let absolutely nothing STOP you.

I wish you were in Georgia. I would love to do a day hike with you!

naysjp
05-10-2017, 22:53
Awesome! Simply awesome.

naysjp
05-10-2017, 22:54
@Lnj - Loving your post. Wish you were here in San Diego.

Lnj
05-11-2017, 10:02
Thanks Naysjp! I have been looking for a lady hiking partner for quite a while so I think I will look into that "Dames" club. It's great to know I am not the only hefty lady out there heaving and gasping up the mountainsides and loving every minute of it! Or at least the minute at the top ;) .

My husband is retired Army and he is the one that really turned me on to hiking a couple of years ago. Since then, with a back torn up by jumping out of airplanes, he has had at least 2 back surgeries and that has really limited his ability to go with me. Apparently, this hiking thing we did that one time wasn't really suppose to "take" with me, as he does like it, but not even close to as much as I do, so he pretty much just tolerates it for my benefit most of the time. He won't hear of me ever going alone, so that leaves me looking for someone to hike with around home.

I said all that to say this... Army dude is constantly under-estimating my will and joy at getting it done. We are both really heavy, almost the same size in fact. He has been steadily proven wrong. Yes, it often takes longer than we planned. Yes, we have had to night hike a time or two because we didn't make it to camp before dark. Yes, we had to set up in the rain and in the dark. OH Yeah, it has HURT!! Yes, I have been scared I couldn't go on any farther (PMT). BUT..... I always did anyway. I was so relieved to see our truck at the end of the PMT I cried, I mean sobbed, like a toddler, as soon as I saw it!! And now I want to go do it again!

Lnj
05-11-2017, 10:11
OH... and I carry a ridiculously heavy pack. I don't every do base weight, because who cares about the least amount of weight you carry? You are only ever concerned about the most amount of weight you might carry, so my pack fully loaded with water and food and ready to walk day 1 is at around 40 pounds. Again... Don't care. I have what I need and a few things I want. I'll carry a stationwagon if it makes me happy and I can huff it. :p

carissa
05-31-2017, 15:37
does any females have any suggestions on clothing...i'm about a 16 and REI and different sites don't go up that high. Im also afraid i wear yoga pants they will rub together in between my thighs and tear a whole because that happens with gap yoga pants when i job. any help welcome. thanks

Teacher & Snacktime
06-02-2017, 22:26
REI does have some size 16 slacks. Try Mountain Hardwear. I get my shirts from Wally World because they're loose, comfortable, effective (wick moisture and stay cool) and cheap. Don't skimp on the pants and shorts though.

kizzybean
06-03-2017, 16:43
Carissa,
I have hiked in Yoga type pants and never had a problem on week long hikes. For my SOBO hike I'm heading out on in 10 days I bought a Nike athletic skirt at Kohls, and ordered womens jockey type underwear from Amazon to wear under for protection of the thigh rub. I've been doing practice hikes in Maine the past month and very happy with that set up. For pants I got a pair at Bealls in Florida size 18 Columbia brand. T-shirts I found extra large merino wool at Cabella's for reasonable price. You don't have to go to the outfitters for hiking clothes, what's comfortable and works for you is just fine.

Big ladies we won't let others opinions stop us. We can hike as well as others, just plan on extra caution for joint strain, and extra time if we're a little slower. Hike your own Hike.

catbecca
06-07-2017, 18:32
Well I only got thru half the response before I have to butt in.
YES , YES AND YES.
You can hike at any weight . Yes there are overweight people out there.
I seen tons of thin people with issues with their knees.
I would suggest working on strengthening that knee for saying anything about weight loss.
Seriously I am 5 ft 1inch and drum roll...weight 256lbs and I hike all over the smokey mountains and WILL be thru hiking the AT IN 2019.
Get out there and do what you love...hike.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

kitcat74
03-13-2018, 17:28
I'm 43 yo, 5'2, did weigh in at 189, (with thyroid and hormonal issues) I struggled to lose weight and no matter how much I worked out and how many calories I counted (1200 day) I could only drop 1/2 lb here or there. I finally spoke to a dietitian. She told me I wasn't eating enough. That I needed to eat at least 1800 calories, and that I should be eat 5 small meals a day (breakfast-snack-lunch-snack-dinner). She explained that when you skip meals and eat once or twice a day (I was eating dinner only) that your body stores what you eat as fat because your body doesn't know when it's going to get it's next meal, so it basically goes into starvation mode. I started eating breakfast than a hard boiled egg between each meal.....I started dropping weight like crazy. I am now down to 134, and I am happy at that weight. When I slip and forget my snacks, I do tend to put weight back on after a few days.
Just my 2 cents, and personal experience.

Kasandra
03-14-2018, 08:40
Can you advice how to loose weight 6-8 pounds in 1 month. We are going to have hiking with boyfriend in April and I'd like to prepare to it

T.S.Kobzol
03-15-2018, 19:56
Can you advice how to loose weight 6-8 pounds in 1 month. We are going to have hiking with boyfriend in April and I'd like to prepare to it

Get a good scale. Get an app called Lose It. Record your weight every morning into the app. The app will tell you how many calories you are allowed to have per day. Record what you eat into the app and it will tell you what you have left. Don't buy groceries to fill the fridge... Best to have nothing to tempt you in the evening because I recommend you only eat between 11and5 pm. You will lose weight and learn what food works best because you will weigh yourself every mornibg

Erinswan
07-16-2019, 09:06
I am over weight and was before the hike. During the hike I trimmed down to a healthy weight around week 8 and after I gained it all back. I love to eat I guess.

Five Tango
07-16-2019, 09:25
Here's my story.I am a male,65 inches tall,was pushing 205 pounds.I weighed on my digital scales this morning at 149.5.I control my weight thru food and beverage choice,not exercise.Exercise is GREAT but you have to walk 1.5 miles to burn off the calories in one Coca-Cola.Switching over to Diet Soda of any kind or artificial sweetners of any kind is a big mistake.I have kept my weight under control for 10 years thru food/beverage choice.My wife
is a little taller than I am and has lost over 40 pounds and actually weighs less than she did when we married in 1977.So yes,it works for women too.

Don't take my word for it.Just go out to YouTube and find Dr Robert Lustig's presentation "Sugar,the Bitter Truth"
and you will get the whole story from a very highly qualified medical professional.He will explain why artificial sweetners are a bad thing and educate you on what sugar is,what it does to the body,and how to avoid it.Did you know it feeds cancerous tumors and causes inflamation of the circulatory system and heart disease?

Here is a case in point.When I hike its always short trips of one to four days.I pack plenty of "snack foods" and higher carb foods.I will actually gain weight on one of these excursions.Your weight is the result of the foods and beverages you consume more than the exercise you perform.That is why so many diet/exercise programs fail is because most of us have been told "you're not exercising enough".Avoiding foods that are processed and/or come wrapped in some sort of plasic or cardboard is the first step after swearing off Soda.

The truth is that you can "eat yourself thin" if you do just a little research and commit to the program.Oh yeah,it really helps if you like green and cruciferous vegetables.

bettybadass
08-03-2019, 17:51
I'm an overweight hiker. I wont give numbers, you can see my profile pick for proof lol.

Its ok to be who you are. Im big and I huff and puff when I hike. BUT I like hiking. Its good exercise.

Sometimes you will run across people who ask if you need help (because I am red and naturally breath heavy). For those people I tell them that I am fine, and inform them of something I see wrong about their hike or pack etc. Then I tell them that I have several years and several hundred miles of hiking if they need advice. In general though I dont really have that many issues.

Birthright
08-10-2022, 01:00
You will lose weight as you hike.