PDA

View Full Version : MH Meals - Breaking Down for Packing??

daveiniowa
03-27-2016, 10:54
I have read some hikers taking the mountain house style meals and breaking them down into freezer bags. Does this work well? I like to carry a lot of food, so I can just stay on the trail longer, some mh meals. The problem (other than the sodium) with mh meals is they seam to take up a ton of room in my food bag compared to other dry foods. The packaging is way too big I think. How do you break these meals down? Then what is your method of cooking them?

Balido
03-27-2016, 11:09
I have read some hikers taking the mountain house style meals and breaking them down into freezer bags. Does this work well? I like to carry a lot of food, so I can just stay on the trail longer, some MH meals. The problem (other than the sodium) with mh meals is they seam to take up a ton of room in my food bag compared to other dry foods. The packaging is way too big I think. How do you break these meals down? Then what is your method of cooking them? I typically carry one MH per day on the trail between resupply. Weight isn't an issue but bulk is. I stick a pinhole into the MH's and cover with tape and push out the air. If I have no tape, no biggie, 3,4 or 5 days is going to matter. I like mine with hot water, just before a boil but have ate without heating it up. Either way, they re hydrate in 8-minutes.

Water Rat
03-27-2016, 11:31
I repackage mine in Ziploc freezer bags. Add appropriate amount (some people like thicker sauce, others like it to be more soupy) of boiling water. Seal. Stick in my re-purposed Mtn. House package and seal that.

I carry one Mtn. House package (that has been cleaned and is kept dry and clean) that I cut down and can roll up to carry between meanls. I stick my freezer bag inside this for the purpose of acting as a cozy. Seems to work pretty well. Let stand for 8 minutes.

cmoulder
03-27-2016, 11:46
Very similar to Water Rat except that I buy the #10 cans and repackage using a Food Saver vacuum seal system. Cuts the cost to half or a bit less than that.

I use a good scale and measure out 4.5oz which is about the average for the individually packed MH meals. Also, using the vacuum sealer it is possible to flatten out the contents before vacuum sealing.

Beside a BV450 for comparison...34308

tiptoe
03-27-2016, 11:52
When I use MH meals, I usually buy ones for two people (cheaper) and break them down into one-person meals, repackaged in Ziplocs, making a note of the rehydrating directions. I just cook them in a pot on my Trangia stove. They are a nice treat, and I like to carry some in addition to my own dehydrated dinners.

SWODaddy
03-27-2016, 12:43
Very similar to Water Rat except that I buy the #10 cans and repackage using a Food Saver vacuum seal system. Cuts the cost to half or a bit less than that.

I use a good scale and measure out 4.5oz which is about the average for the individually packed MH meals. Also, using the vacuum sealer it is possible to flatten out the contents before vacuum sealing.

Beside a BV450 for comparison...34308

This is what I do, only I buy the "VacMaster Full Mesh Zipper Vacuum Bags" - basically, it's a vacuum seal bag with a zip-lock at the top (behind a tear-away seal...just like a Mountain House). This way you can seal / rehydrate them in an envelop style cozy just as you would with a regular MH.

TwoSpirits
03-27-2016, 13:13
I repackage mine in Ziploc freezer bags. Add appropriate amount (some people like thicker sauce, others like it to be more soupy) of boiling water. Seal. Stick in my re-purposed Mtn. House package and seal that.

I carry one Mtn. House package (that has been cleaned and is kept dry and clean) that I cut down and can roll up to carry between meanls. I stick my freezer bag inside this for the purpose of acting as a cozy. Seems to work pretty well. Let stand for 8 minutes.
I was just thinking about doing this very thing and was actually going to post a question if anyone else had ever done it (re-using a cleaned MH bag as a "pot".) Definitely going to try it, using a combination of MH and other freeze-dried meals and some of my own dehydrated meals.

daveiniowa
03-27-2016, 20:12
Love the idea of buying the mh in #10 can bulk and re sizing them to my own vacuum seal bags.

cmoulder
03-28-2016, 07:55
>>>​"VacMaster Full Mesh Zipper Vacuum Bags"

Thanks, I'll give those a try!

Five Tango
03-28-2016, 08:38
Once you open a gallon can of freeze dried MH,how long will the contents of the can stay fresh?I totally get the idea about the vacuum sealed bags but for just a few days,could you not just put the MH in a ziplock anyway?I have a gallon can but have been saving it for emergency use.

cmoulder
03-28-2016, 09:56
Once you open a gallon can of freeze dried MH,how long will the contents of the can stay fresh?I totally get the idea about the vacuum sealed bags but for just a few days,could you not just put the MH in a ziplock anyway?I have a gallon can but have been saving it for emergency use.

Once open, the shelf life is hugely reduced. My practice is to process (divvy up and seal) an entire can and put the vacuum sealed bags in the freezer. A couple of weekends ago I used a meal (chicken & rice) that had been in the freezer for a little over a year and it was totally fine.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when you open the cans you'll see that the contents have settled and need to be mixed to redistribute them evenly. I put the entire can into a big mixing bowl and use a big spoon to mix them before putting in the vac seal bags.

daveiniowa
03-28-2016, 10:04
Any advice on a vacuum sealer and bags? I was looking on amazon and there are tons of them. Never used one before so I don't know what to even expect for price. I am thinking I can get wife to go in on one and she could use it for kitchen use too.

cmoulder
03-28-2016, 11:21
This is the FoodSaver (http://www.walmart.com/ip/29559145?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227021230622&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40345268912&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78310224152&veh=sem) model we bought at BJs... a little cheaper than this with a sale coupon.

And yes, it's perfect for any other stuff you want to store in the freezer such as steak.

I've been using FoodSaver brand bags, but based on the advice above about the zip lock style, I ordered THESE (http://www.amazon.com/VacMaster-Zipper-Vacuum-12-Inch-50-Count/dp/B004WS62DK) this morning.

Hosh
03-28-2016, 11:48
I tried using my FoodSaver for storing home made dehydrated meals. I had problems with the pasta, noodles, and rice puncturing the bag and losing vacuum. I am guessing the freeze dried bulk foods are not as "sharp" and less of a problem.

I now put up my bulk dehydrated homemade "meals" in glass mason jars and use the FoodSaver canister mode to vacuum seal. These are kept in a freezer and last as many as 3 seasons or perhaps more. Each quart jar holds about 8-9 ounces, so I will measure out a trip's worth and put into ziplock freezer bags.

Too bad they don't make circular bags with one straight side that would maximize the bear canister volumes. I have found it more difficult to maximize the canister capacity if you're pushing the days worth of food total capacity

Diamondlil
03-28-2016, 12:34
I like the round idea! Hmm shark tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudeijuststarted
03-28-2016, 12:48
Can anyone comment as to whether the freezer bag method has been proven safe (BPH free?) I know freezer bag cooking is accepted in non-hiking scenarios as well, but my Windboiler gets pretty darn hot. I've been hesitant to use freezer bags but there is plenty of appeal to them...

cmoulder
03-28-2016, 13:45
>>>>but my Windboiler gets pretty darn hot

True, but the water you pour out of it will never be hotter than 212°F.

Hosh
03-28-2016, 13:47
Unless you bring along a pressure cooker.

cmoulder
03-28-2016, 14:09
>>>Too bad they don't make circular bags with one straight side that would maximize the bear canister volumes. I have found it more difficult to maximize the canister capacity if you're pushing the days worth of food total capacity

There is something of a work-around for this!

You can use your bear can lid as a "former" to help shape the food in the vac bags before you seal them. You can use fingers or a wooden spoon to tap and smoosh the contents flat, and maybe shake around a little to help them settle. Then put a cook pot on top to hold the contents in place while vacuuming. This is a BV450 with 5 full meals, and there's still a lot of space remaining. I'm pretty sure I could fit a week's worth of food in there.

One Half
03-28-2016, 15:17
I tried using my FoodSaver for storing home made dehydrated meals. I had problems with the pasta, noodles, and rice puncturing the bag and losing vacuum. I am guessing the freeze dried bulk foods are not as "sharp" and less of a problem.

I now put up my bulk dehydrated homemade "meals" in glass mason jars and use the FoodSaver canister mode to vacuum seal. These are kept in a freezer and last as many as 3 seasons or perhaps more. Each quart jar holds about 8-9 ounces, so I will measure out a trip's worth and put into ziplock freezer bags.

Too bad they don't make circular bags with one straight side that would maximize the bear canister volumes. I have found it more difficult to maximize the canister capacity if you're pushing the days worth of food total capacity

I order the bags on a roll from Amazon that are commercial grade. Thicker and I've never had any puncture or lose their seal.

SWODaddy
03-28-2016, 15:18
>>>Too bad they don't make circular bags with one straight side that would maximize the bear canister volumes. I have found it more difficult to maximize the canister capacity if you're pushing the days worth of food total capacity

There is something of a work-around for this!

You can use your bear can lid as a "former" to help shape the food in the vac bags before you seal them. You can use fingers or a wooden spoon to tap and smoosh the contents flat, and maybe shake around a little to help them settle. Then put a cook pot on top to hold the contents in place while vacuuming. This is a BV450 with 5 full meals, and there's still a lot of space remaining. I'm pretty sure I could fit a week's worth of food in there.

That probably works better than circular bags because you can use the folded over edges to "cushion" it from the next bag.

cmoulder
03-28-2016, 16:15
I order the bags on a roll from Amazon that are commercial grade. Thicker and I've never had any puncture or lose their seal.

Which rolls specifically did you buy? link? Some of the claimed commercial grade bags on Amazon get pretty bad reviews! Thanks!

Hosh
03-28-2016, 17:13
The idea to use the lid as a form is noteworthy.

I have bought mine in the multi-size package, ie 11", 8" and pre-form bags, from both Costco and direct from FoodSaver. Next time I will check it out.

Dehydrated spaghetti is the worse. I use the pre-cut "mini Spaghetti noodles" and they are sharp when dried. I do complete meals, so usually they contain meat, temp at 160 deg, long cycles

One Half
03-28-2016, 19:17
Which rolls specifically did you buy? link? Some of the claimed commercial grade bags on Amazon get pretty bad reviews! Thanks!

I bought these for home use http://www.amazon.com/Vac-Fresh-Embossed-Vacuum-11-Inch-50-Feet/dp/B0052BOEXG/ref=pd_sim_79_25?ie=UTF8&dpID=41iCKUWjlZL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1HV2100XVJ0KMD5GANYJ

But there are 8" rolls and 6" rolls as well. VacFresh is the company. It's a 4 mil, embossed roll. Only problem is the roll at 50' doesn't fit into the machine but I still use the cutting bar for cutting bags.

cmoulder
03-28-2016, 19:46
Ok thanks! I think I'll get the 8" as that is the width of the 1 quart Foodsaver bags.

edit: Grrrrrr.... only 11" is 4mil :(

i'll get the 11"

Obiwan
03-28-2016, 19:50
I also repackage pouches and #10 cans using a foodsaver and have occasionally gotten small punctures from noodles, etc.

I will have to try the vacmaster!

PackHorse
03-28-2016, 19:58
I repackage in regular quart or sandwich bags, depending on the size (not freezer). I write What it is, How many servings, And how much Hot water to add,on the bags with a sharpie before filling them. I just put the meal and hot water in my little insulated mug and maybe cozy it in some clothing. I put all the zip locks in a one gallon zip lock and that is my pantry. Never had a problem...

Hosh
03-28-2016, 20:17
Ok thanks! I think I'll get the 8" as that is the width of the 1 quart Foodsaver bags.

edit: Grrrrrr.... only 11" is 4mil :(

i'll get the 11"

Curious to see how lid forming works on 11". Your earlier pictures looked like 8" maybe even 6". I went back to regular zip locks bags and use a zip lock round plastic hard container to re-hydrate. I have both a flat screw top lid and a 1 cup bowl that screw on top. It has a cozy for both top and bottom. Although heavier than eating from a MH or freezer bag, it allows me to carry Styrofoam cups for hot beverages. The cups nest in the zip lock containers for protection and negate the weight penalty of the container since I don't need bowls nor cups. Also no burnt lips nor hands.

SWODaddy
03-28-2016, 22:11
I also repackage pouches and #10 cans using a foodsaver and have occasionally gotten small punctures from noodles, etc.

I will have to try the vacmaster!

I was really nervous about getting holes in them but - *knock on wood* - they've been perfect so far for a half dozen trips. No holes, no zipper failures, no melting.

cmoulder
03-29-2016, 06:51
Curious to see how lid forming works on 11". Your earlier pictures looked like 8" maybe even 6". I went back to regular zip locks bags and use a zip lock round plastic hard container to re-hydrate. I have both a flat screw top lid and a 1 cup bowl that screw on top. It has a cozy for both top and bottom. Although heavier than eating from a MH or freezer bag, it allows me to carry Styrofoam cups for hot beverages. The cups nest in the zip lock containers for protection and negate the weight penalty of the container since I don't need bowls nor cups. Also no burnt lips nor hands.

Good point, Hosh, and I thought about it some more and searched some more and found these, 8"x12" 4mil commercial grade (http://www.amazon.com/FoodVacBags-Vacuum-Sealer-Storage-Commercial/dp/B00DSST17O?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00). So I'll soon test these and the zip loc ones. Won't be using the canister until later in the season, but I'll test pack it with 5-7 days' worth of food to see how it all fits.

Starchild
03-29-2016, 08:42
Can anyone comment as to whether the freezer bag method has been proven safe (BPH free?) I know freezer bag cooking is accepted in non-hiking scenarios as well, but my Windboiler gets pretty darn hot. I've been hesitant to use freezer bags but there is plenty of appeal to them...
Here is some info:

http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101/freezer-bags-safe/

Basically they look at the uses listed for the bags by the manufacturer and assume that FBC is safe. They really hang their hat on the safety issue that the manufacturer says it's OK to microwave food in them. The best counterpoint is that the manufacturer does not recommend placing them in boiling water.

One Half
03-29-2016, 18:57
Here is some info:

http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101/freezer-bags-safe/

Basically they look at the uses listed for the bags by the manufacturer and assume that FBC is safe. They really hang their hat on the safety issue that the manufacturer says it's OK to microwave food in them. The best counterpoint is that the manufacturer does not recommend placing them in boiling water.

Similar bags to the food saver bags are used for sous vide cooking. not sure what the differences are and wouldn't want to assume that makes them safe. I'm not a fan of cooking in a ziplock bag. they aren't designed for that.

Hosh
03-29-2016, 20:50
Good point, Hosh, and I thought about it some more and searched some more and found these, 8"x12" 4mil commercial grade (http://www.amazon.com/FoodVacBags-Vacuum-Sealer-Storage-Commercial/dp/B00DSST17O?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00). So I'll soon test these and the zip loc ones. Won't be using the canister until later in the season, but I'll test pack it with 5-7 days' worth of food to see how it all fits.

I am curious, I got away from the vacuum pack when I started to experience punctures. I don't use canisters a lot, RMNP they're required and Canyonlands NP requires them in the Salt Creek drainage. If you could find a good form factor that was puncture proof it would really help with maximizing capacity.

My wife and I are going up Salt Creek in early April for 3 nights. I will probably use my existing system with a BV 450. I wish the Park Service had left the ammo boxes, but some idiots continued to leave their trash in them and it became a problem.

Lyle
03-30-2016, 02:01

I've run into this problem as well. I now wrap any sharp food in a couple of thick paper towels prior to placing in the bag and sealing. Just place one or two towels on the counter, place the food in the center, then fold the towels over the food so it is fully wrapped. Then place this pouch into the plastic vacuum bag and seal. Works pretty well for most things. You then have a dry paper towel with you to use as a napkin or dish cloth.

Have also thought of placing the problem food in a regular zip lock freezer bag, then placing it into the vacuum bag (without zipping it closed), and vacuum sealing it. Should work and in effect be double bagged.

Hosh
03-30-2016, 10:41
Paper towel is neat idea, I usually carry them separately for cleanup.

I have went from FBC with an envelope cozy to re-hydrating in the cook pot in a cozy to my current method of using the zip lock round plastic containers with a cozy. I kinda like the zip lock container method, it frees up the cook pot to boil water for beverages and I never liked eating out of a baggie. I usually backpack with others, sometimes up to 6 total people.

I haven't done a side to side comparison to be certain, but I think the zip lock container with cozy method is as light weigh as any of the others. I use a Styrofoam cup, it saves about 2 ounces over a titanium or plastic cup. The container protects it, and the only negative is Styrofoam is static and can attract fine dust particles.

I'll take a look at Bob's method, I have some 8" bags and use the paper towels. We have a 2 person trip with bear canister requirements in a couple of weeks.

Lyle
03-30-2016, 10:51
I also carry a ZipLock round screw-on lid container for re-hydrating. Can place some items like beans or cold salad into the container with some water at lunch time, and they get a very good head start on re-hydrating by supper time.

TwoSpirits
03-30-2016, 10:54
I've run into this problem as well. I now wrap any sharp food in a couple of thick paper towels prior to placing in the bag and sealing. Just place one or two towels on the counter, place the food in the center, then fold the towels over the food so it is fully wrapped. Then place this pouch into the plastic vacuum bag and seal. Works pretty well for most things. You then have a dry paper towel with you to use as a napkin or dish cloth.

Have also thought of placing the problem food in a regular zip lock freezer bag, then placing it into the vacuum bag (without zipping it closed), and vacuum sealing it. Should work and in effect be double bagged.
I've done this -- both with paper towels and "double bagging" with an open Ziplock. I found that using just the paper towel is the way to go. Both protected the outter bag from punctures, but often the inner Ziplock would end up with pin-point punctures...so it was kinda useless dead weight at the end of the day. The paper towel, on the other hand, was always useful.

cmoulder
03-30-2016, 11:11
The commercial grade bags should arrive soon and I will test their puncture resistance. Hope I have the same results as pennypincher!

One of the FoodSaver bags from yesterday did puncture as I was trying various configurations inside the bear can. Interesting thing was, I emptied the contents into another bag and then ran water into the punctured bag but it didn't leak. I gathered top of the bag to seal it and then squeezed it pretty hard, and still no water came out! Whatever.

Bob

Hosh
03-30-2016, 11:39
That's not a problem for a trip. I was using the FS bags for long term storage and they would then lose the vacuum. That's when I went with the glass mason jars. Vacuum sealed in a freezer, I can easily get 3 years out of home made dehydrated dishes. I have some hamburger gravel that was 4 years old that I probably could have eaten, smelled fine when re-hydrated, but tossed it just because.

SWODaddy
03-30-2016, 11:52
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned oxygen absorbers. You can buy them really cheap on Amazon. I throw one into the bag, then vacuum seal it - but not until the point that it becomes rock hard / punctures the packaging. This lets you pack the items much easier with much less chance of damage.

Common wisdom is that oxygen absorbers (get the ones with the indicators) actually work better than vacuum sealing. Your food is then packaged just like a regular (non pro pak) Mountain House - EXCEPT there is no mylar layer to block sunlight. I don't expect them to last a decade stored like that, but I have no problem pre-packaging all my food for the season in this manner, storing them in a cool, dark place of course.

SWODaddy
03-30-2016, 12:18
Similar bags to the food saver bags are used for sous vide cooking. not sure what the differences are and wouldn't want to assume that makes them safe. I'm not a fan of cooking in a ziplock bag. they aren't designed for that.

Foodsaver bags are used for Sous Vide.

http://www.foodsaver.com/blog/archive/2014/october/how-to-sous-vide-with-a-vacuum-sealer.html

saltysack
03-30-2016, 20:46
I can't hardly eat MH or Backpackers pantry....nasty.....no need to repackage Hawk Vittles....waaaaaay better!!! Not really more $$..

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160331/c1ff9b426a2e975bcd54c837e2220384.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160331/f54b084af4d566d242e71e781a9708be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hosh
03-30-2016, 20:58
Always cool to find yet another cottage vendor serving our hobby.

My only issue would be the 3 or 4 entrees I looked at have some pretty high sodium levels. The Lasagna was out the roof. One of the reasons I do homemade stuff.

His levels probably aren't any higher than MH or others, but it looks like his use by dates are a lot shorter, not really an issue unless you're a prepper.

saltysack
03-30-2016, 21:32

My only issue would be the 3 or 4 entrees I looked at have some pretty high sodium levels. The Lasagna was out the roof. One of the reasons I do homemade stuff.

His levels probably aren't any higher than MH or others, but it looks like his use by dates are a lot shorter, not really an issue unless you're a prepper.

I'm really health conscious at home...on the trail I eat anything that tastes good with lots of calories!

Hosh
03-30-2016, 21:37
Yeah, especially on long trips

I went back to look again, the Lasagna is a single 18 ounce serving. That's 5 times a MH and over twice what I would pack for a dinner.

Wise Old Owl
03-30-2016, 21:46

I agree I too do - but if you are young and sodium resistant... only being fat is a real issue... -Well someone here tossed this in front of me a few years back. Wow I was hurt... down to 230 pounds.

cmoulder
03-30-2016, 21:46

I went back to look again, the Lasagna is a single 18 ounce serving. That's 5 times a MH and over twice what I would pack for a dinner.

Not sure if that's a straight-up comparison... dehydrated and freeze-dried are different, although I have NO idea how Hawk Vittles processes... I know that a 4.8 oz serving of MH lasagne is a lot. It says 2 servings on the MH bag, but everybody knows it's about right for a single hungry backpacker. (Well, for me anyway!)

saltysack
03-30-2016, 22:10

it's 5-6 oz packaged as single...with water its 18 oz....I can eat a double serving but it is way too much food. A single is good for me with a snickers for desert....definitely no where near 5x MH in size unless I'm misunderstanding you...

saltysack
03-30-2016, 22:23
I agree I too do - but if you are young and sodium resistant... only being fat is a real issue... -Well someone here tossed this in front of me a few years back. Wow I was hurt... down to 230 pounds.

[emoji23]I'm no bean pole either....5'11" 215lbs....not exactly typical hiker build...more like a fire plug...

Hosh
03-30-2016, 23:53
it's 5-6 oz packaged as single...with water its 18 oz....I can eat a double serving but it is way too much food. A single is good for me with a snickers for desert....definitely no where near 5x MH in size unless I'm misunderstanding you...

I mis-understood the 18 ounces. I thought MH was about 5 ounces, freeze dried, for a 2 person serving. I use 5 ounces of homemade dehydrated as a basis for a single serving. My daughter gets 4 ounces, her fiancee 6 ounces.

linus72
03-31-2016, 10:58
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't more sodium not a bad thing when hiking and sweating a lot? doesn't this help ward off dehydration especially on hotter hikes? i'm no doctor...

Trance
03-31-2016, 13:39

I love these comments.....

You ever stop to think about what is in the water you are drinking on the trail?

Hikingjim
03-31-2016, 13:55
Some cool ideas! I am too lazy to bother usually though
The bulk of 3-4 mountain house or something comparable isn't going to put me over the top, and I'm usually more concerned about needless weight
If I go longer than 4 days without resupply, I usually end up with alternative tasty meals so I don't have like 7 of these things in my bag

Hosh
03-31-2016, 16:50
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't more sodium not a bad thing when hiking and sweating a lot? doesn't this help ward off dehydration especially on hotter hikes? i'm no doctor...

I sweat a lot too and use electrolyte drinks and snacks to keep things level, especially in the desert. If I don't pay attention, my quads and hamstrings get cramped, usually at 3 am. Most, if not all, of the electrolyte supplement mixes, bars, and gels have a modest amount of sodium and other key electrolytes. I am thinking it's better to consume the daily amounts or higher levels over time rather than in a single meal/snack.

The manufacturers like high sodium levels because it extends their product's shelf life.

When I was a youth, we took salt pills during football season. We also went back into the game when our vision cleared and we quit seeing double.

I am not a doctor either and I prefer the Hyatt.

cmoulder
04-01-2016, 07:18
The commercial grade, non-ziploc bags actually arrived Wednesday (1 day after ordering!) and they are only slightly heavier than the regular FoodSaver bags and look almost identical, except that they don't have that white stripe where contents are labeled. But I think I can live without that. ;)

I sealed a couple of meals in them but haven't had a chance yet to test for puncture resistance. However I haven't thought about a way to objectively test this. Probably best just to use them mixed in with the others as the season goes along and see which ones 'spring a leak'.