PDA

View Full Version : How many miles from the Scales in Grayson Highlands to Damascus on the old AT?

wornoutboots
03-27-2016, 11:04
This trails name is alluding me now but how many miles is this trail? I'm thinking I could catch it from the scales or start at Massie Gap & cross over to it after cresting the ridge a mile or so before Thomas Knob?

Mr. Bumpy
03-27-2016, 11:51
I think you mean the Iron Mountain Trail. If you get the Trails Illustrated map of the Mt. Rogers area it will show you everything you need to know. There are several places to cross over from the IMT to the AT. There are multiple loop options available from Beartree Lake Campground and Grindstone Campground as well as secure parking for a couple bucks a night.
The IMT is a pleasant mostly ridge line hike with a little bit of dirt road. There are a couple shelters with good water. You may see the occasional horse group or mountain bike on the IMT, both of which are permitted.
The IMT is a great option.

wornoutboots
03-27-2016, 13:40
Yeah that's the one. I've got a shuttle lined up to hike in on TD but I'm considering hiking this due to too many hikers on the AT this time of the year. I don't own the map so that's why I'm asking the mileage. From actually Fox Creek & Massie Gap. Thanks

Mr. Bumpy
03-27-2016, 15:45
Fox Creek to Massie Gap on the AT isn't that far at all - its barely an overnight - maybe 10 - 12 miles so I don't think you are talking about the IMT but rather Pine Mountain Trail. The IMT is the old AT out of Damascus and it follows the ridgeline to the north. It doesn't go on through the Highlands. There are so many trails up there you really do need to check out a map. If you said how many nights you are staying out, how many miles you are hoping to hike, and where your car is it would be easier to help you.
From what you write I hear that you are starting a hike at Fox Creek and ending at Massie Gap? If that is what you are doing there really isn't a way to avoid lots of people.
It is all good up there, however, regardless if it is crowded or not. Enjoy it!

wornoutboots
03-28-2016, 11:35
I'm looking at 2 options #1 starting at Fox Creek taking the AT S up to the Scales then a right on IMT into Damascus or Option #2 Starting at Massie Gap hiking the AT S to the ridge just short of Thomas Knob & crossing over to the IMT into Damascus. 2.5 days. Yeah I don't own that map yet & can't find it on line to even look at this route. Thx

OPI
03-28-2016, 16:24
Go buy a map. I don't have mine in front of me but i don't think the IMT goes through the Scales area its further northeast. There are other trails that will connect you to the IMT though

Mr. Bumpy
03-28-2016, 16:38
Your option 1 doesn't really work like that. IMT is not in the Scales area, but there is a cut through from Scales to Rhododendron gap.
If you are trying to avoid people, start at Fox Creek or Massie gap and take the AT north, then just before the new shelter you go left on the IMT which is a 35 mile or so hike into Damascus.
If you want to see the Highlands (which if you haven't seen then you should) then still, start at Fox Creek or Massie Gap and stick to the AT southbound. You could cross over then to the IMT (which is also a great trail) but the highlands area does extend much farther south than that thomas knob area. I'd suppose that a shuttle would be a bit less expensive if you went to Fox Creek.
Either way, you won't go wrong. I'd suggest grabbing that map when you are headed there, not making too much of a plan, and just seeing where your fancy takes you. There is simply not a bad option. Enjoy!

wornoutboots
03-29-2016, 11:58
Yeah buying a map is the plan but I thought someone on here may know the IMT? I've hiked the Highlands a dozen times but never the IMT. I'll figure it out. Thx

wornoutboots
03-29-2016, 12:00
Your option 1 doesn't really work like that. IMT is not in the Scales area, but there is a cut through from Scales to Rhododendron gap.

Correct, that's why I said after Old Orchard shelter & at the scales take a right & follow the trail, which I believe is the ridge trail to the IMT. Any thx & it'll all work out.

wornoutboots
04-07-2016, 23:12
Well I bought the map up at the Cincinnati REI & I was way off in my thinking! The IMT does run parallel to the AT into Damascus but it's clear on the other side of Hwy 58. Great map with a ton of possible loops! You could hike up there for weeks & never cross the same trail! Does anyone know if the view on the IMT are comparable to the views on the AT through the Grayson Highlands?

Mr. Bumpy
04-08-2016, 09:43
Yep. That's what we were trying to tell you!

IMT is mostly ridgeline under trees with are a few open spots, but nothing like the Highlands area. But the IMT is a wonderful trail with a couple of shelters, one of which is in an open-ish area. There is about 1/2 or 1 mile of dirt FS road that you have to use. That side of the ridge is open to bikes and horses, but if you hit it during the week then you aren't too likely to encounter either.

And yes, you can spend quite a bit of time up there looping around. Each year for about the past 10 I go up there with my son for anywhere from 3 days to 1 week. The last few years we have just gone and parked at one of the campgrounds with no hiking agenda and just wander.

wornoutboots
04-09-2016, 16:18
Yep. That's what we were trying to tell you!

IMT is mostly ridgeline under trees with are a few open spots, but nothing like the Highlands area. But the IMT is a wonderful trail with a couple of shelters, one of which is in an open-ish area. There is about 1/2 or 1 mile of dirt FS road that you have to use. That side of the ridge is open to bikes and horses, but if you hit it during the week then you aren't too likely to encounter either.

And yes, you can spend quite a bit of time up there looping around. Each year for about the past 10 I go up there with my son for anywhere from 3 days to 1 week. The last few years we have just gone and parked at one of the campgrounds with no hiking agenda and just wander.
Thanks.......