PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried the new 'Cot Tent'

FossilFool
03-27-2016, 13:17
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/cots/luxurylite-cot-shelters/cot-tent/product

weight for large one: 2 lbs 12 oz
Packed dimensions: 6" x 18.5"

Since the shelters are going to be overly crowded this spring on the AT, I'm trying to decide on tents vs hammocks, or both, for an upcoming trip. The last time i slept in a super light hammock, it wasn't comfortable. Even with a good pad I doubt I'd sleep well on the ground or wooden floor.

So this cot looks pretty cool, fairly lightweigth and somewhat bug and rain proof.

Any body ever used one? They're not cheap, at $260, so I'd hate to get one without a good review or two.

thanks!

Slo-go'en
03-27-2016, 14:28
It looks to me you need the cot too, which is almost 4 pounds by it's self. Add the tent section and your close to 7 pounds. No thank you. No prices on the page without adding to cart. Is the $260 for just the tent part or with the cot?

Offshore
03-27-2016, 14:38
Cot tents have been around for years, although using full size full height cots, and are available for about $200 at Target. This Thermarest setup would run around $500 between the cot and the tent. That amount of money for what amounts to be an excessively heavy and small tent is crazy. Too many better options available in conventional tents or hammocks.

Stitches
03-27-2016, 15:51
For my upcoming section hike, I bought a bug bivy at REI and have an UL tarp to pitch over it using my trekking poles. I splurged on a nice inflatable mattress, which I slipped into the straps in the bivy and rolled it all up into a nice, tidy, small package. Rain protection, privacy, crawly protection, and comfort. Theoretically! It packs and pitches beautifully but I haven't slept in it yet. I am a petite woman and the bivy is plenty roomy for me, but I might not love it so much when I have to crawl out of it in the night to pee.

mattjv89
03-27-2016, 16:44
I don't understand who they're trying to market this to. The system is way to heavy to be practical for backpacking and the photos seem to show it being used for car camping, but then why all the emphasis on how it's the lightest cot available? if all I'm doing is tossing it in the trunk of my car I'll take the heavier and cheaper option every time.

FossilFool
03-27-2016, 17:46
Duh. I'm embarrassed that I didn't realize that the cot was not included. Seems like they should make that clear when something in the picture is not included. Well, glad I asked, this is not worth considering for a hike.

FossilFool
03-27-2016, 17:48
... I splurged on a nice inflatable mattress....

What inflatable mattress did you get? I want maximum padding between me and the hard ground!

Stitches
03-27-2016, 17:51
Nemo Tensor 20R

Malto
03-27-2016, 19:06
Duh. I'm embarrassed that I didn't realize that the cot was not included. Seems like they should make that clear when something in the picture is not included. Well, glad I asked, this is not worth considering for a hike.

Pit is less than clear from their website. I had to flip back and forth to finally guess that it likely didn't include the weight of the cot.

Franco
03-27-2016, 19:29
Could work well for motorbike touring where stored size is more important than weight.
BTW, the clue, of sorts, that the cot is not included is in the first words : Converts any LuxuryLight....