PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions around Max Patch

AJwalkin
03-27-2016, 20:15
Hi there. I am planning on taking my 7 year old out for his first overnight hike this summer and am trying to figure out where exactly to go. I like the idea of ending at max patch but don't want to plan for more than 4 miles per day. Looking at the map, I can't see a drop off place for us to start north or south of there with 8-9 miles. But I also don't feel like the book I have seems to show everything.
Any suggestions? Am I missing something or is there a place anyone can recommend. We are in Asheville.

Or is there a good online map I'm not finding?

Thanks so much!

Slo-go'en
03-27-2016, 21:10
Your best bet is to drive up to the parking lot at Max Patch, then hike over the bald to Roaring Brook Shelter, an easy 3 miles or so. Then turn around and go back to the car.

AJwalkin
03-28-2016, 14:11
Your best bet is to drive up to the parking lot at Max Patch, then hike over the bald to Roaring Brook Shelter, an easy 3 miles or so. Then turn around and go back to the car.

Thank you!

illabelle
03-28-2016, 14:35

Agree, that's a good plan. If it's too much, just camping out in the woods north of MP is not a bad plan. We did that with our granddaughter a couple years ago.

saltysack
03-29-2016, 11:10
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160329/6d96c042eba09db0907850977e99278e.jpg
Great spot for lil ones...I recall a road or two north of max patch well before hot springs. Drop car at max and shuttle north...walk back to car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk