PDA

View Full Version : Are gaiters a waste?

sellhammer
03-27-2016, 20:40
Will be starting a SOBO thru hike on 6/8 reading alot about wet boots in Maine. I will be wearing a pair of Vasque Breeze 2.0 GTX and love them. Super water resistant. I am just concerned about wet feet as i can imagine that would totally suck.

Puddlefish
03-27-2016, 20:46
Will be starting a SOBO thru hike on 6/8 reading alot about wet boots in Maine. I will be wearing a pair of Vasque Breeze 2.0 GTX and love them. Super water resistant. I am just concerned about wet feet as i can imagine that would totally suck.

I use dirty girl gaiters. Feet get wet, but the laces don't get muddy and turn into tiny eyelet destroying saws. Keeps bits of leaves, twigs and even ticks from getting into the tops of my boots and poking along my ankles.

There are lots of strategies to cope with wet feet, it's not so bad really.

mattjv89
03-27-2016, 20:52
Paired with waterproof mid top boots like you have they can keep your feet dry. Of course the problem with that setup in the summer is they'll be drenched from the inside with sweat. Don't worry too much about the wet feet, it is going to happen one way or another. Getting them dry overnight is the important part.

Slo-go'en
03-27-2016, 21:00
I wear GTX boots because I live in NH also often hike in Maine and Vermont. I don't have to worry about wet trails or crossing streams if the rocks aren't fully exposed. Stepping into several inches of water for a few seconds isn't a problem.

If the shoes are low cut, using a short gaiter like dirty girls are well worth it. They will keep trail duff out of the shoe and your socks much cleaner. Long gaiters are nice when it's real wet and muddy as they will keep your legs and the bottom of your pants much cleaner. Bottom line is they are nice when you can use them, but most of the time you don't.

I plan to wear long gaiters with shorts this spring hiking up from Harpers Ferry. I'll treat the gaiters with tick repellent which will help protect me from ticks, poison ivy, chiggers and the like, but there will be enough ventilation around the knee with shorts that it shouldn't be too hot. I'm interested to see how long that works for me :)

RockDoc
03-27-2016, 22:40
Gaitors won't keep your shoes from getting wet. They will just keep material out of your shoes.

fiddlehead
03-27-2016, 22:54
I immediately thought about small stones in your shoes when I read the headline.
Didn't even think about trying to keep your feet dry.
In Maine?
Won't happen.
Although good gaiters MIGHT slow the process of wetting your feet.

I like lightweight (sil nylon) shorties to keep stones out of my running shoes. (gaiters)

illabelle
03-28-2016, 06:04
Some have said gaiters won't help to keep your feet from getting wet. Do they keep out the moisture if you cross a grassy field?

Pedaling Fool
03-28-2016, 06:10
I walked a thousand miles without gaiters, but I got sick of little pebbles and sticks and dirt turning into mud inside my boots. I bought a cheap pair of OR gaiters; problem solved.

cmoulder
03-28-2016, 07:39
Some have said gaiters won't help to keep your feet from getting wet. Do they keep out the moisture if you cross a grassy field?

Depends on the gaiters (shoe coverage, height, water permeability), depends on the depth of the grass, how big the field (and therefore how long they're exposed to wetness). Better just to wear shoes that dry out quickly and gaiters (Dirty Girl mentioned above) that keep out pebbles and twigs. The kind of gaiter and footwear combination that would keep legs and feet bone dry would be heavy and hot.

garlic08
03-28-2016, 08:32
It's also an image thing, I think. Gaiters help make us look like "real hikers." Add convertible trousers, trekking poles, a funny looking wide-brimmed hat, and a carabiner hanging on the pack, and we are good to go.

Seriously though, gaiters are a trade-off just like everything else. They do take some fiddling and they break every once in a while and they add cost, but they keep you cleaner and sometimes drier. It all depends how many futz factors you want to put up with in your hiking day. Or you just accept that hiking makes you dirty and wet and things get in your shoes and you get on with it. They are kind of specific tool that sometimes works well, sometimes not.

egilbe
03-28-2016, 08:41
It's also an image thing, I think. Gaiters help make us look like "real hikers." Add convertible trousers, trekking poles, a funny looking wide-brimmed hat, and a carabiner hanging on the pack, and we are good to go.

Seriously though, gaiters are a trade-off just like everything else. They do take some fiddling and they break every once in a while and they add cost, but they keep you cleaner and sometimes drier. It all depends how many futz factors you want to put up with in your hiking day. Or you just accept that hiking makes you dirty and wet and things get in your shoes and you get on with it. They are kind of specific tool that sometimes works well, sometimes not.

Lol, you just described me

Cheyou
03-28-2016, 08:41
Do Dirty Girls gaiters keep your feet cleaner?

Puddlefish
03-28-2016, 08:50

Been wearing them the last week or so, in the mud, in NH. Lot's of semi rotted leaves breaking into mulch on the trail, never know exactly when your foot is going to plunge into a puddle. So, for this scenario, very much yes. Haven't had to stop once this year and fish a stick out of the top of my boots. My socks are noticeably cleaner than last year without the gaiters. One sock got a bit gritty yesterday, so not 100% effective, but better.

Grampie
03-28-2016, 09:12
Gaiters are quite helpful at various times. On my thru I left my mid calf gaiters home. I soon discovered that was a mistake and sent for them. I would wear them when hiking in the rain. Prevented a lot of water from running into my boots. I would wear them instead of long pants in cold mornings or when snow was on the ground. They are very helpful when walking through areas where brush and high grass boarder the foot path. If I was to do another long hike I would definitively take them.

cmoulder
03-28-2016, 09:35

No, that's why they call them "Dirty" :D

Actually, I really don't like the garish colors and patterns so I use a very similar one made by Outdoor Research called "Sparkplug". As with any gaiter, if wearing highly breathable trail runners fine dust/dirt can pass through the fabric and feet usually get quite dirty anyway. But they still keep out the great majority of pebbles and twigs, although those can still sneak in occasionally through the tongue of the shoe.

rafe
03-28-2016, 09:38
Some hikers hike in long pants regardless of the weather. I prefer shorts, when possible. Gaiters make a bit more sense in that situation. I've also dealt with chiggers on ankles and calves -- in some ways far worse than the occasional pebble or other debris that gaiters are meant to fend off. That, I'm sure, was from walking in high meadows and grassy balds (vs. forest floor or rocky ridge.)

Lots of LD hikers say gaiters are useless, but I've been reconsidering.

Traveler
03-28-2016, 09:54
FWIW, when I am in shorts, I usually will wear a set of low gaiters all the time. If its raining, or I am walking through wet/dew covered grass I will switch to calf high gaiters. I find they keep a lot of junk out of the shoe, socks stay really clean, and they will shed water for a while (depending on the rain intensity). If I find tics on me from trail hiking, they are usually on the gaiter fabric from brushing against grasses, low brush. They also allow me to have leggings for warmth if I am wearing light shorts and don't want to wear heavier pants (even convertibles).

Flash52
04-01-2016, 14:31
I only use gators in the snow. While I do get some small pieces of leaves and some dirt in my shoes I don't have to deal with putting one more thing on and off each day. For me, simpler is better - easier.

mortonjl
04-02-2016, 05:44
Dirty girls, cheap and light.

Rain Man
04-02-2016, 09:59
Are gaiters a waste?

No. Gaiters are not a waste.

nsherry61
04-02-2016, 11:14
. . . I really don't like the garish colors and patterns so I use a very similar one made by Outdoor Research . . .
You know, DG gaiters do come in boring colors like black, grey, brown, blue, green, etc. also. You just have to scroll to the bottom of the page to see them.

Hikingjim
04-02-2016, 12:14
They would be helpful that time of year in the north. And then you can ditch them when the trail is more dry
I wear MOAB low cut hikers and gaiter combo through a lot of thick mud, and it's pretty good. Sure, if it's straight water or really soupy you'll still get a little wet, but it keeps a lot out and allows you to splash through it faster

RockDoc
04-02-2016, 12:15
But we get a lot of compliments on our garish colors and patterns. Like "lime hurl".

Puddlefish
04-02-2016, 12:37
But we get a lot of compliments on our garish colors and patterns. Like "lime hurl".

I got some red ones, because every knows that red is faster. I need all the help I can get.

Malto
04-02-2016, 21:41

I wear dirty girls on western trails most of the time but not on the AT or other trails in the east. Out west they reduce the amount of rocks and other crap getting into shoes. Haven't had that be a problem as much in the east. On dusty trails in trail runners your feet will get dirty with or without dirty girls. I suspect GTX would help keep dust out but the negatives would greatly out way the benefit.

cmoulder
04-03-2016, 12:25
You know, DG gaiters do come in boring colors like black, grey, brown, blue, green, etc. also. You just have to scroll to the bottom of the page to see them.

OK, you're right, I scrolled down to the bottom a few pages in and there they were, lol.

cmoulder
04-03-2016, 12:30
I wear dirty girls on western trails most of the time but not on the AT or other trails in the east. Out west they reduce the amount of rocks and other crap getting into shoes. Haven't had that be a problem as much in the east. On dusty trails in trail runners your feet will get dirty with or without dirty girls. I suspect GTX would help keep dust out but the negatives would greatly out way the benefit.

I suppose it depends upon what footwear you use. Using Cascadias and Merrell trail runners I would have to stop every 1/2 mi to remove tiny pebbles/twigs. Sometimes farther, sometimes less.

Leo L.
04-03-2016, 13:23
The OP asked about gaiters helping against boots to get wet. There might be some benefit, but not much unless you make the top of the gaiters waterproof against the leg (like, sealing it with tape), a task to be done every rainy day.
You like this?

The problem with debris in running shoes comes from prolonged shovel-shaped rear ends of the soles, by which you throw debris into your own shoe by every step. Happens only with trail runners, and gaiters is the only help I can think of.
I wear long trousers exclusively, so the problem is not so big. When wearing shoes with "short ends", the problem is non existent.

Hikin Pole
04-06-2016, 17:53
I have used tall polyester/cotton blend (60/40 cloth) gaiters with waterproof nylon bottoms in early years and loved them; now I prefer a 65/35 cloth with water repellent coating. They keep water, twigs, snow, and bugs out of my boots very well. Of course wading in a stream is another matter. With shorts they keep my calf from getting scratched, with long pants they keep the pants cleaner. I do not do a long hike without them. They also add a little color for more interesting photos. Me wife has Gortex gaiters.

AngryGerman
04-12-2016, 13:54
OP; doesn't matter that the boots are water resistant; they'll get soaked no matter what; sweat or water! Gaiters keep the dirt out of the shoes and all that jazz. I thru-hiked wearing the Vasque Breeze GTX boots and OR gaiters and my feet would either be wet from, sweat or wet from water. My feet would literally sweat through the leather of the boots. These days I rock a pair of Vasque Juxt and dirty girl gaiters.

gwb
06-08-2016, 15:53
It's like anything else some people swear by them some people (like me) have never used them.

As far as being concerned with wet feet... My suggestion is to put on your boots, go outside, take a garden hose and stick it in the top of the first boot then turn on the water until water overflows. Switch the hose to the next boot and repeat. Now go for a walk. Learn to love that feeling, because it will happen my friend.

Lnj
06-08-2016, 16:25
I wore low OR gaiters recently and was happy with them. One - they were pre-treated so no bugs. and they do keep crud out of your boots/shoes. The bug protection was reason enough to like them, then add all the briers and stuff that you kick through, it just protects your legs to an extent. Mine were super easy to put on, and since I don't take my boots off at all during the day, there wasn't much of a fiddle factor for me.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-08-2016, 18:02
I wear Dirty Girls when it's dry and a pair of Rab eVent (no longer sold) when it's rainy & wet. Where I live, if you hike for a half mile you'll have dirt in your shoes, so gaiters are a must. Plus I treat them so they add an additional barrier against ticks. On the AT, I've never hiked without a pair on.

Dogwood
06-08-2016, 18:06
No, gaiters aren't always a waste. They can be an important component to an apparel/foot wear system for me.

I think the same can be said for trekking poles. IMHO, trekking poles are another piece of gear, sometimes pricey at that, that are often perceived as a necessary part of the hiking ensemble.

MuddyWaters
06-08-2016, 21:55
I usually have dirty girls on. keeps twigs and small pebbles out of shoes. Keeps from having to stop and dig those things out. Shoes and gaiters and socks are permethrined.

Hikingjim
06-08-2016, 23:44
you shouldn't need dirty girls with those boots.

Gtx gaiters will keep you drier if you're sloshing through mud or puddles, or if there's a lot of rain, etc. I have worn them on some pretty wet hikes, and they give you confidence going through small amounts of water and mud. You'll eventually get wet, but you can pop out your liners, dry up, and hopefully be somewhat dry for the next day. I've worn low cut gtx hikers + gtx gaiters and gone through some serious mud/water for days, and it holds up fairly well and allows me to go straight through a lot of muck instead of dancing around

I think the only time I would consider gaiters on the AT is SOBO, and I would send them home when I found they've served their purpose. If you wear out those boots, you can probably get some non-goretex lighter shoes later in the hike when everything's really dry

and as mentioned, they double as tick protection with some permethrin on them

Connie
06-09-2016, 07:27
The low-cut stretch gaiters help against rain running down into boots or shoes.

I like them especially for helping keep out ticks and "bot flys" can no longer bite my ankles thru my socks.

Out here, if there are horse camps, there are "bot flys" that may be your "black flys". They bite in big chunks.

Low-cut stretch gaiters are a worthwhile carry.

I usually wear them because they breathe and they keep out little rocks or sand from getting in my shoes, and also help keep my socks clean. It is easier to rinse out low-cut stretch gaiters, than it is to wash socks.

MtDoraDave
06-10-2016, 07:19
Thanks for the tip... never hear of DG gaiters until now, I'll likely get a pair. Last June I tried a home made pair of gaiters from a pair of Gander Mountain wool socks (the 3 for $10 kind); I cut them just above the ankles and had them hemmed. They did help keep dirt and debris out of my boots, but they kept riding up, causing me to stop and adjust them several times a day. They probably would have worked acceptably if I had come up with a better plan to hold them down than using rubber bands.

sethd513
06-10-2016, 18:29

I use dirty girl gaiters with my trail runners as I don't care if my feet get wet in that setup. In a gortex boot and specifically tried in the breeze 2.0 I use my Rab eVent gaiters. Never had wet feet from anything other then perspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jefals
06-10-2016, 20:02
I wish I had some yesterday. Got a ton of those little spurs in my socks. and those were expensive socks! But I may wind up throwing them away, cause I've been using tweezers trying to get them out, and it's tearing the fabric up quite a bit.

Huli
06-10-2016, 21:10
I did a 50 mile trail run (The North Face Challenge) with running funky brand gaiters. 12 river crossings, mud, rocks, etc. Never once did I need to take off my shoes to get anything out. I will always hike or run trail with gaiters.

capehiker
06-11-2016, 09:05
Since this is a thru hiker specific sub forum, I have seen fewer thru hikers wearing them but about average on section/overnight hikers.

lemon b
06-11-2016, 21:40
IMHO Guess