PDA

View Full Version : Lightest Two Person Tent

Heliotrope
03-27-2016, 21:29
I am a diehard tarp user but I am considering a two person tent for trips with girlfriend that meets the following criteria: ultralight, well ventilated and doesn't require hiking poles. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmoulder
03-27-2016, 21:37
I'm a diehard Duplex user, but if I were to get a freestanding tent I'd probably get the MSR FreeLite 2 (https://www.rei.com/product/896092/msr-freelite-2-tent).

capehiker
03-27-2016, 21:43
The Big Sky Soul.

Another Kevin
03-27-2016, 23:32
One of my buddies swears by the Tarptent Double Rainbow. 43 ounces isn't horrible for two. It's not freestanding (it needs to be staked out) but doesn't need hiking poles. If you do have trekking poles, you can make it freestanding by using your poles to stretch head and foot, or you can spend $32 and order a pair of 4.75-ounce poles to add the freestanding framework. My opinion is that you don't need a freestanding tent unless you're pitching on a tent platform, and not even then if you're halfway clever.

I don't use the Double Rainbow, but I'm satisfied with my Notch. TarpTent makes a decent product.

On the vanishingly rare occasions that I need a two-person tent, I lug my REI Half Dome that I've had for quite a while and let my partner carry other shared supplies. I'm not likely to be in the market for a lightweight 2-person tent any time soon, since my wife isn't a hiker.

soumodeler
03-28-2016, 07:29
The Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2 is about 3lbs for a side entrance and I think several of their front entrance tents approach the 2 pound mark.

Using trekking poles would give you more options from ZPacks, TT, and more.

nsherry61
03-28-2016, 13:43
I am a diehard tarp user but I am considering a two person tent for trips with girlfriend that meets the following criteria: ultralight, well ventilated and doesn't require hiking poles. Any suggestions?
If you already like tarps, how does a tarp not meet your criteria? Do you have some unstated assumed criteria that is important to your girlfriend that rules out a tarp?
Criteria relative to tarp:
- ultralight: check
- well ventilated: check
- doesn't require hiking poles: check, if you use trees, sticks or carry other poles like one does for a tent

Other niceties:
- spacious and roomy for two: check, way better than a tent
- relatively inexpensive: check
- privacy: check, if you pitch in a private place or pitch in an enclosed configuration
- bug-proof: oops, not, but versatile enough to allow the addition of a bug tent when needed.

nsherry61
03-28-2016, 13:50
. . . how does a tarp not meet your criteria? . . .
FWIW: I am very happy with my Big Agnes Copper Spur II for backpacking with my wife that just plain likes having closable walls around her at night, likes being bug-proof even if bugs are not a big problems, and likes the slight increase in warmth from a tent vs. a tarp. The BA Copper Spur II is under three pounds and is quite livable as two-person tents go, for two people. The REI Quarter Dome is almost the same tent as the Copper Spur, except it is $100 less expensive than the Copper Spur II, weighs a couple ounces more and has smaller vestibules.

rustmd
03-28-2016, 17:41
Light Heart Duo. . .love this tent, share it with my hiking partner, plenty of room for 2.

.com

bigcranky
03-28-2016, 21:22
With girlfriend? Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo. Trust me on this.

SkeeterPee
03-28-2016, 21:37
I think most of those hiking pole tents offer lightweight poles instead of using hiking poles. Does that make it free standing your eyes?

Heliotrope
03-28-2016, 21:39
If you already like tarps, how does a tarp not meet your criteria? Do you have some unstated assumed criteria that is important to your girlfriend that rules out a tarp?
Criteria relative to tarp:
- ultralight: check
- well ventilated: check
- doesn't require hiking poles: check, if you use trees, sticks or carry other poles like one does for a tent

Other niceties:
- spacious and roomy for two: check, way better than a tent
- relatively inexpensive: check
- privacy: check, if you pitch in a private place or pitch in an enclosed configuration
- bug-proof: oops, not, but versatile enough to allow the addition of a bug tent when needed.

My two person tarp covers a large area but the inner net tent doesn't not allow one to sit up. I was thinking of the ease of entry and headroom that a tent affords.

Heliotrope
03-28-2016, 21:40
With girlfriend? Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo. Trust me on this.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Vegan Packer
03-28-2016, 22:29
The ZPacks Duplex is now available with a freestanding option. It adds 10 ounces to the 21 ounce weight, but if you insist on no trekking poles, this is an option.

nsherry61
03-28-2016, 23:02
My two person tarp covers a large area but the inner net tent doesn't not allow one to sit up. I was thinking of the ease of entry and headroom that a tent affords.
How about just a alternative inner net tent that gives you the room you want? I think you are just looking for a good excuse to buy a new tent. Nothing wrong with that.

bigcranky
03-29-2016, 06:41
Thanks! I'll check it out.

The Lunar Duo does use trekking poles, but of course you can get two tent poles from the company. It's ~42 ounces without poles.

Here's a web site with photos that explains why we like this tent so much (http://hikeitlikeit.com/2011/tale-of-three-duos/). (Not our web site, just a good explainer.) Note that the LD side walls are vertical, meaning than the tent is just as wide at the top as the bottom, meaning that there is a TON of space inside for two people and all their gear, with room left over. Four people can comfortably sit inside this tent and eat breakfast or hang out.

Heather1027
03-30-2016, 13:13
The Lunar Duo does use trekking poles, but of course you can get two tent poles from the company. It's ~42 ounces without poles.

Here's a web site with photos that explains why we like this tent so much (http://hikeitlikeit.com/2011/tale-of-three-duos/). (Not our web site, just a good explainer.) Note that the LD side walls are vertical, meaning than the tent is just as wide at the top as the bottom, meaning that there is a TON of space inside for two people and all their gear, with room left over. Four people can comfortably sit inside this tent and eat breakfast or hang out.

This is awesome! Thanks for posting this! :)
(And to the OP for asking!)