PDA

View Full Version : SOBO hikers from the UK.

Cumbrian
12-24-2005, 18:58
Hi Guys

I am from the UK and I will be starting a Thru-Hike Southbound on 06/25/06. My Trail Name is 'Cumbrian', being a mix of Cumbria (where I live) and Ian (my non-trail name). My pal is 'Anglia' (The Olde-Saxon name for England).

We are wondering if anyone knows of any Brits who have completed a SOBO in the past as we cannot find any record of any Brit who has done this?

We are hiking for charity and paying 100% of our own costs. Our Air Tickets are costing around $350 each way per person so if anyone has any ideas as to how we can save costs, we welcome your comments.

Kind regards

Cumbrian

hammock engineer
12-24-2005, 19:15
Hope to see you on the trail. I plan on heading SOBO mid to late June.

As for the airline tickets, I would check all of the travel sites and airline sites. Try to fly in on a weekday, usually cheaper. After that stay flexable on your time frame.

Smooth
12-24-2005, 22:54
I met a Thuhiking Brit in '95 (on my thuhike). He told me that Brits hike a lot. He was a interesting and good man. He had some gear that I did not find in the U.S. for another several years. In that year I met about five hikers from overseas. You will have no problem. Bring love.

totempole99
12-25-2005, 02:03
Squeaky is out there right now, hopefully to finish on the 26th. Not only SOBO'd the AT, but did the PCT and CDT too.

frieden
12-25-2005, 10:00
I hope we cross paths! I went to school over there, and try to get over every year to see my friends. I sign up for email alerts from travel sites, like travelzoo, travelocity, orbitz, etc. I typically go in March, and get a round trip for $300 (including taxes and fees). I don't know if you are able to come over here early, but typically, if you travel before May 1st, the airfare is a lot cheaper. Also, an ISIC (student card) can get you a lot of discounts over there, but I don't know about here. We do have student discounts here, but nothing like you have over there. Because of the exchange rate, everything is cheaper here, so that should help some. Gear is cheaper, too. The US is famous for insane banking fees. Use a credit card, or exchange your money before you come over here. We don't really have pub grub, so you'll have to rely on grocery stores for cheap food, unless you are used to McDonald's already. I can't really think of anything else right now. Hope this helps! Merry Christmas!

TJ aka Teej
12-25-2005, 12:03
Hi Cumbrian & Anglia
Where are you flying in to? Boston? Ready to make your reservations at Baxter Park? I advise two nights stay, before and after your climb. As far as saving money, if you can connect here for rides up to the Park and avoid hotels before you start south, you'll save considerably. Check the articles section here for other cost shaving ideas.
Reservation info about Baxter can be found at www.baxterstateparkauthority.com (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com)
Good luck!

Lanceglas
01-04-2006, 19:45
I met a few SOBO brits on the trail in 03. They were also hiking for charity. They began in November and hiked south during one of the hardest winters in the east for a couple of decades. They had flown to NY, kayacked out to, I think, Montana, and Cycled back to NY before begining the trail. Are all brits that hardcore?